http://www.blantyre.biz/HighBlantyreStation1910.htm
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Sir William Arrol Viaduct Piers Blantyre --- soon to go

Postby Jay23 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:47 pm

There are some great maps on

http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk

reprints of Ordnance Surveys around 1900, which show the old lines and junctions, for example:

Here are the details of maps for Stonefield:

# Lanarkshire Sheet 11.15 Stonefield, Auchinraith & Burnbank 1897 - published 2006; introduction by Gilbert Bell

This detailed map covers an area on the NW side of Hamilton. Coverage stretches from Stonefield (NW corner) and Auchinraith (SW) eastward to Burnbank (SE corner) and Auchinraith House (NE). Features include Whitehill Pit, Burnbank House, Greenfield, Greenfield station, Strathaven Junction, Greenfield Colliery, Blantyre Junction, Craighead Junction, Auchinraith Junction, Glenlee House, Greenfield Foundry, Blantyre Foundry, Craighead Colliery, Auchinraith Colliery, Priestfield Colliery. Selections from a Trade Directory for Hamilton are on the reverse. Numerous railways and junctions are on the map, shown in detail with track layouts, signbal posts, sidings, engine shed etc
Jay23
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Reenie Bujman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:58 pm

Taken on Monday 22nd September 2008 at Crossbasket by the Rotten Calder.

The graffiti reads "Jesus Saves", so maybe they'll be there for a while yet.

The tripod is knee-high to a photographer, so you can see how large the individual stones are. Wouldn't want one dropping on my toe.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Enjoyed the photographs. I was down at the Rotten Calder a few months back having a bit of a wander; I didn't realise there was also a walk on the east bank of the river. There used to be a platform about here that was used by excursion trains to visit Calderwood Glen and Calderwood Castle (although long demolished I remember exploring the cellars of the castle as a nipper when they were opened up for some reason in the late '70s / early'80s). Although the EK to Blantyre service was withdrawn in 1924 the platform at Calderwood Glen didn't close until 1939.

You can still follow a bit of the the old EK to High Blantyre line from behind the Show Park to EK cemetery as it is now a path. I'm sure trains used to continue beyond East Kilbride station up until the 1960s to deliver to Mavor Works (??).

I love old railway viaducts and I'd be sorry if the Sir William Arrol piers have now gone; perhaps the recession has put paid to the housing development?
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby jamesmcquade9 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 pm

As a child in the 1950's i used to cross this viaduct via the footpath under the railway line. It had wooden planks with gaps between them and you could see the clyde below you There was also Iron Railings on the sides.

At Whistleberry Road there was a train halt for race horses to be unloded from trains when Hamilton Race course had a meeting on. For some years after the railway closed the viaduct was still intact and the footbridge could be used although there was no proper footpath leading to the bridge

Having looked at Google maps it is now difficult to find the spot where the viaduct stood and the track bed has long since been built upon or grown over also the new road and express way has removed traces of the track bed which run under Whistleberry Road to Burnbank station.
jamesmcquade9
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Jay23 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Jay23
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development