Botanic Gardens Station Re-building Proposal

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Botanic Gardens Station Re-building Proposal

Postby The Voyageur » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:04 pm

Good feature on the proposed re-development of the Botanic Gardens station.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/opinion/7024435.html
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:13 pm

The Kelvinside White Residents association stopped a similar plan some years ago but given maist of them are now deid he might get away with it.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:19 pm

"The G1 group wants to build a replica of the station building with a cafe and restaurant on the ground floor and a performance venue under the former platform."

Get's my vote, I'd rather see it being used than lying derelict.

However the Artist's View of a greenhouse with moss on the roof ...WTF! glass pyramids etc?? fuck off

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:25 am

i think the idea is great
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ronan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:05 am

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/68935.html

here it is in the herald this morning
ronan
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:59 am

The pyramid is actually an alternative scheme by someone else - the G1 Group proposals are for a replica of the station building, with some sort of performance space on the platforms!

Seems GCC are on the scrounge for cash again, auctioning off catering opportunities in all the parks - even the former toilets in Eldon St at Kelvingrove Park are up for grabs for this purpose!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:16 am

Be fair Gap - there is no point in things lying empty, and bringing cafes into parks really I do think is a good move. The more they are used the better they can become... and they will also bring the toilet facilities back to parks!!!
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:26 am

I've nowt against them being reused, or even selling off bits of the parks for catering, which is something fairly lacking in most of them - but I do have to wonder just how much of a cafe with toilets that you can squeeze in to something that was originally just a toilet!

Ideally, the toilets they are selling off would still be toilets, but I believe the shocking lack of public conveniences in a city this size has been debated elsewhere on here long ago!

I'll no doubt have another rant about it when I try to use one someday and get told I need to buy a muffin and a latte first...!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:30 am

If people can get squezed into police boxes to sell coffees... the space offered bt a former toilet block is an absolute luxury of possibilities!!

Makes you wonder how the cafes will be named though....
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:38 am

I'm envisaging also a series of blue plaques on the tables...

"Billy Connolly once did a wee jobby here as a fledgling folk singer on his way to a gig..."
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Botanic gardens re station building project

Postby mairead » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:13 am

Does anyone remember the Wilson School of Dancing which was right at the entrance to the gardens on Great Western road. They taught ballroom danceing there on a Saturday night.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jazza » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:53 am

I would not object to something built in glass....

so long as the old station could be seen/used/accessed and it didnt look like the st'enochs centre.

If glass was good enough for all of the buildings they have just restored, what is the problem in using it now?

Some of my favoutirte places blend old and new and get the best of both worlds (CCA / The Arches / Our offices)
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nodrog » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:16 pm

gap74 wrote:even the former toilets in Eldon St at Kelvingrove Park are up for grabs for this purpose!

I'd been wondering for a while when those would be sold off!

As for the Botanics, whatever they do I'd like to see the railway line not built on or otherwise altered, just in case they ever pull their finger out and consider reopening it as a station in the far distant future...
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:48 pm

Nice thread title, couldnt have chosen the words better myself. ::):
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ElectricSprout » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:55 pm

Putting up a copy of the station building is a brilliant idea! It looks quite smart from the old photos and if wasn't for that fire it would probably still be there anyway.

The glass box is rubbish though. There's enough soulless junk like that in too many unsuitable locations these days. If it was included at the back of the replica and contained entirely within the park then that wouldn't be quite so bad, but it would look awful it it was built on it's own looking onto GWR.

Would be a shame not to have the old station and tunnels there to explore anymore but a worthy sacrifice if they put the old building back.
ElectricSprout
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development