Election year, innit.

Man, by the end of April there'll be dozens! 8O

Not if we promise to keep quiet about Hidden Glasgow.. !! :wink:
I used to be a librarian but am now councillor for people's republic of Partick
allabouteve
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby allabouteve » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:33 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:hi Aileen and welcome to HG.
Can you tell me what happened to the original glass that was in the Kibble?

Fossil

Sorry for the delay in finding the answer to this, but the original glass has been "disposed of" , with the exception of one panel that's been retained for contrast in the refurbished Kibble - which is due to open to the public at the end of next month. It'll be what's called a "soft" opening , ie; let the public in without too much fanfare, as although the structure will be complete, there's still things to be sorted out, ie; the plants won't be at their best (the trauma of replanting etc..) , but it was a judgement call - wait until it was all perfect , or satisfy the demand from the public who want to see the building and reclaim a much loved building.
I used to be a librarian but am now councillor for people's republic of Partick
allabouteve
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:28 am

Images

Herald

From derelict station to a city flagship

One of Scotland's leading leisure entrepreneurs has promised a mini-railway, bandstand, and pavilion for a flagship city park.

Stefan King, millionaire head of bar, club and restaurant chain G1 Group, will also construct a conference and performance centre, as well as a nightclub, on a disused subterranean railway platform if his bid for a new venue at Glasgow's Botanic Gardens is accepted tomorrow.

Mr King, whose portfolio now includes more than 40 venues across Scotland, wants to recreate a historic railway station on the perimeter of the west end park as a family orientated cafe-bar and restaurant across two floors.
The scheme is based on the original architectural plans for the elegant James Miller Railway Station, which was built in 1896 but is now little more than an overgrown hole.

Glasgow City Council's Executive Committee will decide whether to give the proposal the go-ahead as part of an overall strategy of attracting more people to parks via commercial ventures. Although the decision has still to be taken the recommendation is to grant.

Mr King's bid, which was part of a competition, was also judged to be the only suitable submission received.

G1 will have to pay a fixed rental of £5000 a year for the first five years rising to £12,000 after that. But the firm will also have to embark on a massive programme of investment.

In addition to the anticipated huge costs of the underground conference venue and club, G1 would pay an initial £100,000 to improve the load carrying capacity of the tunnel under the gardens and Great Western Road.

It would also fund a children's play area, to be designed by the city council, next to the site costing an estimated £100,000 to £120,000 and a miniature railway with reproductions of the Caledonian Railway Company's engines, again costing around £100,000.

And it would pay an estimated £50,000 for the construction of a bandstand "in a style in keeping with the Botanic Gardens" and a temporary pavilion which could be erected for special events or performances such as the Bard in the Botanics.

The report from land and environmental services director Bob Booth states: "Over and above the financial contributions, the proposal to rebuild the Botanic Station will provide the garden visitors with a range of enhanced facilities including clean modern toilets which incorporate baby changing facilities, year-long access to restaurant and cafe facilities and a range of facilities which will enhance the attraction of the Botanic Gardens for families and younger children."

The station served an underground line that ran from Maryhill to Stobcross junction, now the SECC. The line, which is part tunnel and part deep cutting, still runs across Glasgow although it has not been used since 1964. The station shut in 1939 and burnt down in 1970, leaving just the underground platforms.

Should Mr King's proposal clear the planning consent hurdle it will spell the end of the pipe dream of some transport enthusiasts who wanted the west end section of the tunnel network to be brought back into operation.

The application is also certain to face resistance from local community councils.

Last night a G1 spokesman said: "This is a project very close to Stefan's heart as he was born just along the road.

"It will create a new amenity for visitors to the Botanics and the west end and a faithful reproduction of James Miller's original building will itself be a restored landmark for Glasgow. The building's twin, golden, onion domes were unique in Scotland and one of Glasgow's best loved architectural features.

"They will now be returned to the original station where they will once again be among the highlights of the west end."
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:25 am

Outstanding !

Sounds like a fantastic idea I would love to see this come to light but I imagine there will be too much red tape and too many protesters for it to get of the ground.

However I think it would be a great boost to the area and raise the house prices in the area even further than they already are. Looks like the west end is truly becoming the heart of the city.

Bring it on !
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:43 am

Verbal Kint wrote:Outstanding !

Sounds like a fantastic idea I would love to see this come to light but I imagine there will be too much red tape and too many protesters for it to get of the ground.

However I think it would be a great boost to the area and raise the house prices in the area even further than they already are. Looks like the west end is truly becoming the heart of the city.

Bring it on !

The Kelvinside Community Council is not the power it was aftyer ity was taken in by the Churchill's application.

Planning permission had been ghranted previously but the KCC won that time round.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knight of the Thistle » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:25 am

No i'm not happy at all :( !

The botanics station should not be turned into a tourist attraction as we already have many of them arround the city. the line could still be reopened as far as Kirklee as the platforms are still in good nick. But when this goes ahead the line could niver be reopened! This is just GCC's latest attempt to sell things off!

SAVE THE BOTANICS :!:
Knight of the Thistle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:13 pm

The line could in theory go back to Kirklee and but no further cause the line was built on many years ago at Kelvindale Road and Balcarres Ave(or whatever its called) so it couldn't connect Maryhill anymore. It could go to Kelvingrove but where thereafter?

Great wee train service going back and forward from Kelvingrove to Kirklee - all aboard!

As for the preservation of the Botanics - never heard anyone shouting out aloud when the pond was filled in and the building of the station, would be a replica of the beautiful little station that once stood on GWR. It can't come quick enough for me!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:22 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:The line could in theory go back to Kirklee and but no further cause the line was built on many years ago at Kelvindale Road and Balcarres Ave(or whatever its called) so it couldn't connect Maryhill anymore.

Well, they could acquire some CPO's and demolish the buildings
in the way, you know they way they do when they build roads?...

Re-instating it to Maryhill would provide an alternative terminus and get some
trains off the bottleneck between Yorkhill and Hydnland. Cant see it though.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:25 pm

The tunnel at maryhill is still there, and the shops were built on stilts to enable the line to re-open, sadly when they built the bingo hall the blocked the exit to the tunell of (bawbags)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:35 pm

North of Maryhill some of the infrastructure is gone - bridges, cuttings and even
a tunnel, I think.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:12 pm

All in all, I think it's a good idea. Shame they did not sell off the original panes of glass from the Kibble, just seems such a waste to "dispose" of them. :cry:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:25 pm

It should go ahead, sounds a good deal for both us and Mr King. And if Government transport policy does change in favour of heavy rail at any point and the line was to be re-opened (which I think would also require re-nationalisation) I doubt one more CPO would make much more of a difference :)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby james73 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:29 pm

True, and at least someone will be responsible for the upkeep of the tunnels
and station area. I wonder whose responsibility that is right now? I suspect
washing of hands is the current order of the day...

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:50 pm

If done sensitivly the restoration and reuse could be a great sucess 8) but if done insensitively, without any respect for the past history of the building ic could fall flat on its face and become a carbunckle :?

Just for the record recreating the original station is a far better idea than another glass featureless structure :)

For those who don't know
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imageview.php?inum=TGSA00629&PHPSESSID=6906a4ab15c357a0ee5a36912911def8

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imageview.php?inum=TGSA01240

Both from

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA01240
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:36 pm

how do you sensitively restore an underground brick lined heavy rail station? I imagine retention and preservation of the line infrastructure (i.e. track bed and platforms) would go without say, over and above that I'm not sure how much more sensitive you would have to or could be :)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development