Maryhill Burgh Hall

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Maryhill Burgh Hall

Postby mairead » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:18 pm

I haven't been to that part of Glasgow for so many years but I recently heard that the old burgh halls is to be done up. Does anyone know if this is true.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:23 pm

It's true, the plans look pretty good, and include a swimming pool.. there is a website relating to the developments, I'll try and find the link later.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby My Kitten » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:53 pm

sharon wrote:It's true, the plans look pretty good, and include a swimming pool.. there is a website relating to the developments, I'll try and find the link later.

One of the Hidden Glasgow sponsored West End Walks passed by. (More info on walks here! http://walks.hiddenglasgow.com/

Link Sharon refers to is here http://www.maryhillburghhalls.co.uk/
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Maryhill burgh halls

Postby mairead » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:37 am

Thanks so much for the info and the link. Great to see the old building hasn't been allowed to die like so many others in Glasgow. Well done to those concerned in it's renewal.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Maryhill Burgh Hall

Postby red_kola » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:50 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7860553.stm
The Heritage Lottery Fund has awarded £990,000 to transform Maryhill Burgh Halls and an adjacent former police station into a "community hub".
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby BenCooper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Sharon wrote:It's true, the plans look pretty good, and include a swimming pool.. there is a website relating to the developments, I'll try and find the link later.

The swimming pools are already under construction - they've retained the facade of the old Maryhill Baths, and are building a new leisure centre facing onto Maryhill Road. Good news that they've got funding for the halls too, and also good news that we're getting the stained glass back :)
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Item 4

7 September 2007

MARYHILL LEISURE CENTRE

In February 2004 the City Council approved a capital sum of £5.9m for the refurbishment and extension of
the old Maryhill Baths to create a leisure centre with wet and dry facilities for Maryhill. Located adjacent to
the Maryhill Burgh Halls at Gairbraid Avenue, the development occupies a prominent site bounded by the
Maryhill Corridor to the east and the Forth and Clyde canal to the north.

Purpose of Report
The purpose of this report is:-
To advise Committee of the outcome of the tendering process for the refurbishment and extension of the
existing Maryhill Baths to create Maryhill Leisure Centre and seek approval to award the tender.
To secure the additional capital funding package to complete the project.

Recommendations
I recommend that Committee:-
i) Approves the acceptance of the tender for the construction works submitted by Graham
Construction, in the sum of £6,708,228.75;
ii) Approves the additional capital funding of £600k to allow for completion of the project; and
iii) Approves a 3% project contingency in the sum of £240K, to be held by Central Finance, to cater for
any unanticipated project costs.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:47 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 am

New website for the Burgh Halls, showing progress on the project.
http://www.maryhillburghhalls.org.uk

We're still working on how the stained glass will be displayed within the building, but in the meantime we've been having some fun with some replica panels...

In other news, they have a new member of staff working for them too ;-)
Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Our Very own nodrog elaborates on the Maryhill Burgh Halls.

BBC Radio

Tomorrow, 13:15 on BBC Radio Scotland

Maryhill Burgh Halls Restoration - We hear all about the work to restore one of Glasgow's most iconic buildings; stained glass windows are being designed for Maryhill Burgh Halls. A set of 20 depicting the trades and industries of Maryhill were part of the original structure and are being returned as part of the £9.2 million refurbishment. The trust behind the work wants to add to the collection by allowing residents to create new panels to sit with the originals through their 'Windows of Today project'.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Any one fancy working for the Maryhill Burgh Halls Trust? We're looking for a Halls Manager to run the place!

HALLS MANAGER
£27,190 - £29,008 per annum pro rata
(Part Time, 21 hrs per week, varied distribution of hours over 7 days, including occasional evening)

This position manages the daily operation of the exciting redevelopment of Maryhill Burgh Halls, opening July 2011, www.maryhillburghhalls.org.uk.

The successful candidate will be responsible for the marketing of the Halls and meeting rooms within the building complex, planning and managing events in the building, financial management and reporting, co-ordination of caretaking and security, community liaison and effective liaison with our office letting agent.

If you are truly adaptable, please apply (no CV accepted) by dlownloading the full application pack below or Email: [email protected] or Tel: 0141 352 7445.

Closing date: noon 4 February 2011. Interviews Friday 11 March 2011. An Enhanced Disclosure Check/PVGS membership will be required. Maryhill Burgh Halls Trust is an Equal Opportunities Employer. Scottish Charity Number: SC036089

http://www.evh.org.uk/content/default.a ... memid=3046
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Why not pop along for one of our free guided tours of the finished building? Now including lots of stained glass! :-)

A free Maryhill iPhone/iPad/Android app is also now available...

More details:

http://www.maryhillburghhalls.org.uk

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:41 pm

There's an update on events to celebrate the re-opening at http://www.maryhillburghhalls.org.uk/opening
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:23 am

As an aside I remember once being at a function when I was 17 or 18, at Maryhill Burgh Hall and the fire alarm went off, and everyone was still on the dance floor totally ignoring it whilst the band unplugged their guitars and scarpered to the exit....and I had a once in a lifetime chance to run in and shout "FIRE!!!!!!" - I nearly caused a stampede!

The guys in the band joked that the first song after we were allowed back in was going to be:

"Great Balls of Fire", followed by "Burning Love"......
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 am

Doors Open Day 15 Sept 2012
In the roofspace above the hall. And a sighting of a mostly obscured Nodrog there I think. Great tour, thank you.

Sighting along the original roof timbers at the sides. Nice.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development