Tesco Pollok Silverburn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DVF » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:06 am

gap74 wrote:I noticed a sign outside Asda Govan recently that said it wouldn't be open 24 hrs for a spell, anyone know why?

They'll be installing the new self service checkouts, where they can use one person to control four tills! Getting their moneys' worth out of the wages there!

They have to shut down all the tills and computers to load up the new software to work them etc. And the hammering and drilling is too noisy for the customers to hear.

Pile 'o' pish anyway. They've had them in Clydebank Asda now for a few weeks and already nobody can be bothered using them, they'd rather wait in the queue's.
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

24 hour shopping

Postby pwh60_2 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Ta Alex.
I enjoy a drive and a bit of shopping in the early hours, usually at ASDA Clydebank and Helen St, more recently at Tesco's in St Rollox, I didn't realise there was another store at Shettleston. With the addition of the new Pollok store, we've got a good selection now.
pwh60, pwh60UK
pwh60_2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby drks » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:27 pm

DVF wrote:
gap74 wrote:I noticed a sign outside Asda Govan recently that said it wouldn't be open 24 hrs for a spell, anyone know why?

They'll be installing the new self service checkouts, where they can use one person to control four tills! Getting their moneys' worth out of the wages there!

They have to shut down all the tills and computers to load up the new software to work them etc. And the hammering and drilling is too noisy for the customers to hear.

Pile 'o' pish anyway. They've had them in Clydebank Asda now for a few weeks and already nobody can be bothered using them, they'd rather wait in the queue's.

is this similar to thing safeway used to have a few years back, which no one used except shoplifters?

they scrapped it.
drks
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ramor69 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:55 pm

Wont be long now until the burn is silver, when it's
full of all those shiny new silver trolleys!
:roll:
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:34 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5054568.html

Tesco's £50m flagship store opens up to public

TESCO unveiled its biggest store in Scotland today when it threw open the doors to its £50million flagship superstore.

The store replaces the former Tesco in the now-demolished Pollok Shopping Centre. Many of its staff have been redeployed at the massive new store.

Already 500 new employees have been taken on by the supermarket giant, including 60 jobless people from the Greater Pollok area.

TESCO Extra is the first retailer to open its doors at the £350million Silverburn development in Pollok
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:44 pm

All that car parking will be excellent for the 47.7% of households with no car, and the 60.1% of people from Pollokshaws who have no car either. Thank god for the smelly 22/23 to take us to this retail shrine

;)
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:45 pm

gap74 wrote:is this similar to thing safeway used to have a few years back, which no one used except shoplifters?

they scrapped it.

That was using the old ABC system, it eventually did get scrapped because of the thieves that forgot to scan stuff, altho some of the products barcodes were a problem, mainly the pre packed meat stuff.

I used it with my ABC card and then staff discount card, was a great way to beat all the shoppers and the queues.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:46 pm

All hail the great retail god of TESCO. Worship at the shrine, consume, aquire be happy. :D
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:48 pm

tobester wrote:
gap74 wrote:is this similar to thing safeway used to have a few years back, which no one used except shoplifters?

they scrapped it.

That was using the old ABC system, it eventually did get scrapped because of the thieves that forgot to scan stuff, altho some of the products barcodes were a problem, mainly the pre packed meat stuff.

I used it with my ABC card and then staff discount card, was a great way to beat all the shoppers and the queues.

Safeway's thing was called Shop 'n' Go, also christened Shoplift and Go by some of the staff there.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:53 pm

Yeah i remember it well.

Altho ive not tried the tesco and asda systems yet, i know they trialled one in the co=op in england that had a scale under the bag and when you scanned the product it added the weight of the product to the scale and when u put it in the bag it calibrayted back to zero, so you couldnt put an item in without scanning it, if you did an alarm went off and the till froze until an employee unlocked the till.

Imagine the alarm.......awoooga awooga a thieving chav nicking some grub....awooogggga

::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:11 pm

Tesco's.... an indispensible part of the best of all possible worlds.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vladimir » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:47 am

All that car parking will be excellent for the 47.7% of households with no car, and the 60.1% of people from Pollokshaws who have no car either. Thank god for the smelly 22/23 to take us to this retail shrine

The whole complex is designed for the people of Newton Mearns, Crookfur, etc. etc. It really isnt aimed at Pollok, other than as a means of getting cheaper labour...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:45 am

Hollowhorn I’ve just picked up on your sensible posting on the mythical rubbish that’s talked about the so-called dignity of manufacturing work. My dad was a skilled tradesman and an active trade unionist with a strong work ethic. Like most working-class dads he drummed into me ‘get an education so that you can get an office job and stay out the factories and shipyards’.

What I cannot understand is the sheer prejudice that people have about the retail (i.e. supermarket) industry. I’m all against local domination of high streets by one chain of supermarkets. But that’s a planning issue for local authorities and electors to deal with – it’s not a reason to say that the whole industry is full of crap jobs and low pay. Just as with industry there are plenty of such jobs in retail but retail is also a superb economic success story. This success comes out of recruiting and developing the very best people and making the best of their skills, whether IT, marketing, HRM etc. That is how the sector has become a growing world success story, second only to the USA.

In the Pollok example, as with Shettleston and Springburn, I know from my regeneration work that TESCO worked closely and in co-operation with local interests and with the Council and Scottish Enterprise. In Pollok I understand that they work closely with the admirable community-based Pollok Regeneration Company to maximise local recruitment – and to add to the new employees skills base.

On some comments made by others: As for all the car-parking supposedly provided because the supermarkets only want the Newton Mearns types – again this is more about prejudice than reality. The car-parking levels are largely dictated by Planning, in fact often the supermarkets have to be pressed to provide more than they want to. Supermarket chains are also very unprejudiced and ‘democratic’ in their attitudes. They will take money from anyone! The poor people in the localities that some posters say the supermarkets are not targeting are in fact very much a target of supermarkets. The poorer folk unfortunately are those most likely to buy the poorer quality, highly processed foodstuffs that provide supermarkets with premium profit margins - not nice, but it's the opposite of 'not targeting' the poorer nearby areas.

On another perception, about old Scottish industry; Scottish workers did not get paid ‘real’ wages, they were generally paid lower than elsewhere in the UK. This was partly for location reasons and partly because much of the labour force being displaced Highlanders and Irish (and Baltic state incomers) had to accept low wages to survive.

Scottish heavy industry in the 20th century largely still depended on the protectionist Empire market and associated militarism. The decline of both meant the decline of Scottish industry. Of course, some rose-tinted spectacle-wearing Scots would rather forget all that bit about living off the backs of Empire and war – doesn’t really fit the image of couthy, decent but downtrodden, workers struggling to make a better world. To ascribe the industrial decline to just wages is economically illiterate.

It’s also commonly asserted that an economy dependent on services is not sustainable. Well, that’s yet to be proven. If Scotland had much earlier stopped trying to hang onto the old obsolete industries and took up the new services sectors with a vengeance we might have avoided the utter dominance of the UK by the South East of England… that is driven by their service-based economy. And of course one of the major differences in the post-WW2 Glasgow and Edinburgh experiences is that Edinburgh went full blast for services.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:41 pm

Scottish heavy industry in the 20th century largely still depended on the protectionist Empire market and associated militarism. The decline of both meant the decline of Scottish industry. Of course, some rose-tinted spectacle-wearing Scots would rather forget all that bit about living off the backs of Empire and war – doesn’t really fit the image of couthy, decent but downtrodden, workers struggling to make a better world. To ascribe the industrial decline to just wages is economically illiterate.

I think you miss the point that all industry is not of the heavy kind, and that light (and safer) industry has also been neglected. All countries need a mixed economy of industry and retail/business, otherwise too much emphasis will be placed on one sector and the economy will experiece severe shocks should that sector in particular slip into recession.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:06 pm

I think you miss the point that Scotland's industrial power was overwhelmingly created, led and shaped by heavy industry.

I think you miss the point that I specifically mentioned heavy industry the once and in context of Empire and war.

I think you miss the point that Scotland's economy throughout the late 19th century and first three quarters of the 20th century, was overwhelmingly dependent on this one sector.

Incidentally, sectoral 'slips' into recession are not entirely negative. For example the cyclical nature of the shipping and ship building industries was what enabled Burrell to build his international commercial empire and help keep Scotland in a long pre-eminant international position.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development