Tesco Pollok Silverburn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tesco Pollok Silverburn

Postby crazygray23 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:12 pm

right guys tomorrow marks 4 weeks till the centres opening on the 25th oct, im on shift at the weekend so ill try to get pictures,if unlucky ones on my camera phone will do, apparently the opening will be a `soft` opening, no singing and dancing etc as a lot of shops will gradually open up to xmas then in march phase 2 with the winter garden opening will mark its official opening, it doesnt make sense to me but who am i to question :)
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stevenh1983 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:00 pm

Hi i took some pics of the new shopping centre from a hill just behind my house, really good view of the whole place from there.

stevenh1983
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:10 pm

Steven

i took some similar photos about 18 months ago from a similar location. Shilton Walkway there are a couple of good vantage points up there.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby elgee » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:14 pm

[quote="james73"][quote="Alex Glass"]Tesco employed 59 local people who were unemployed
or on benefit. I have the pleasure of attending an event recently where they
were presented with a certificate.

They all feel a lot better about themselves now that they are working. I met
one of them in the store on Tuesday. He was so pleased to be finally in the
store and is looking forward to the opening on Monday.
[/quote]
I'm not meaning to have a go at you here Alex, but you're making it sound like
working in a faceless supermarket is an aspirational career choice, when it's a
million miles away from such a thing.

As for the locals feeling better about themselves - it will be interesting to see
how they feel about things six months/a year from now after they've had to pay
full rent and council tax. Will there be an event and certificates handed out when
the locals think "sod this capitalism malarky" and decide they don't want to work
for some jumped-up wee naebody who's ordering them about any more?

I just want to say this, maybe if we, the customer looked on those who are serving us with a bit more respect, then more would see it as a career choice.ie serving the public in the retail trade. If you have ever been in USA you will have noted the difference. Each and every employee wants you to come back to their store and has been trained to encourage that. Using potentially derogatory terms like faceless supermarkets and aspirational career choices is such a negative viewpoint. Young people in the UK are bombarded with such remarks but as we know many supermarkets employ young folk during their study period or gap year. If you were made to feel part of an "inferior" work force would you continue ? If not, does that mean we are left with those who did not object to being thought of as inferior ?

James H[/quote]
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Re:

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:19 pm

elgee wrote: I just want to say this, maybe if we, the customer looked on those who are serving us with a bit more respect, then more would see it as a career choice.ie serving the public in the retail trade. If you have ever been in USA you will have noted the difference. Each and every employee wants you to come back to their store and has been trained to encourage that. Using potentially derogatory terms like faceless supermarkets and aspirational career choices is such a negative viewpoint. Young people in the UK are bombarded with such remarks but as we know many supermarkets employ young folk during their study period or gap year. If you were made to feel part of an "inferior" work force would you continue ? If not, does that mean we are left with those who did not object to being thought of as inferior ?

Well said, Elgee, food for thought.('scuse the pun)
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:36 pm

As we were discussing Tesco ( at Silverburn) my previous post referred in the main to Supermarkets but could equally apply to any retail establishment.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:35 am

Yes, I fully understood that bit, Elgee, don't you ever smile? :D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:08 pm

Not long now till the majority of Silverburn opens to the public.

Thanks elgee and HH for reminding us that we rely on people willing to serve us. some may have had a bad experience but for the vast majority of customers this may not be the same.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to work in a job you enjoy good luck to you.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Yes, I fully understood that bit, Elgee, don't you ever smile?

Yes of course I do.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:49 pm

elgee wrote:Yes, I fully understood that bit, Elgee, don't you ever smile?

Yes of course I do.

you forgot to add this > :)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby elgee » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:26 am

[quote="Fossil"][quote="elgee"]Yes, I fully understood that bit, Elgee, don't you ever smile?

Yes of course I do.[/quote]

you forgot to add this > :)[/quote]

:)
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:22 pm

And soon it will be Rutherglen's turn! The Dalmarnock road Tesco construction is coming along at a great rate of knots.

Elgee, can I support your comments about careers in retail - there is a huge range of levels, sectors and professionalism you can get into in the sector now. I'm on the board of a South Lanarkshire community organisation delivering training and other support in partnership with Tesco for people who are seeking to return to work after being away for a variety of reasons (sometimes because of real severe problems in their lives). The co-operation and professionalism of the Tesco people on this has been first class.

There are going to be people from Rutherglen, Cambuslanf, Dalmarnock etc. who will get a real lifetime opportunity out of this development :).
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:43 pm

When does the Silverburn thing open, anyone know?
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:21 pm

A week on Thursday for about 60% of shops, the rest will continue to open till February.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:26 am

lynnski wrote: ............, and not everybody's gonna buy premium bonds or invest in stocks and shares.

................................... .

I've been buying premium bonds on and off for a number of years. Usually at GPO St Vincent St and always, so far, for cash money.

Yesterday, I tried to put a few more quid into bonds and was informed the post office no longer accept cash over the counter for premium bonds (you can still buy foreign currency for cash BTW). I had to pay by card and then deposit the cash I'd brought in the TSB across the road.

The woman in the post office, whom I've known by sight for years, was quite embarassed about the whole thing and the woman in TSB, whom I've also known by sight for years, didn't quite believe me.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development