Planning Application - Tesco at Partick

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby retired tiger » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:39 am

AlanM wrote:
retired tiger wrote:A very well laid out protest letter, (not by me!), is available to anybody who wants to send me a pm.

mmm, I think a large number of (near) identical protest letters could have a detrimental effect, no matter how well constructed they are

The letters that have been sent in so far, (copies of the one I refer to), have all recieved acknowledgement and are logged with the planning department. I have been told by the person who produced the letter, that every letter sent in will count as one objection.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jazza » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:01 pm

To me it does seem like traffic will be a huge problem.

The Sainsbury's development on Crow Rd. caused pretty big hold-ups in the surrounding roads and even now causes problems on the weekend (easy enough to get in but try getting out in a car).

I dont think it was a coincidence that Broomhill Cross was entirely changed (traffic routes, light sequences etc) not long after the Sainsburys was built.

If the Tesco is much bigger then the problem will be the same, except x5 and from my experience there are plenty of students with cars these days, which will only add to the problem.

Also, who the hell would want to live on top of a mega-tescos??
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AlanM » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:10 pm

Another major issue will be the water and sewerage services. I couldn't begin to imagine the amount of shit that 1300 students would produce.

Also theres going to be problems after pub chucking out time when the punters in every pub in Dumbarton Rd and Byres Rd think it'll be a good idea to Tesco's and get more bevvy. So even if they do get permission for the store I doubt it'll stay 24/7 for very long.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Water and Sewerage considerations will have been taken care of way before the application went in for Planning.

There is a big problem in Glasgow getting enough Power, Drains and Water infrastructure into proposed developments, so as i said above the Design Team will / should have looked at these prior to lodging the Planning Application.

Although the Tesco could get permission to open 24/7 that does not mean the can sell alcohol after 10.00p.m.

Getting back to Crusty's points at the start of the thread :

(1) Aesthetically it ain't the worst thing i have seen, the student halls of residence at the top of the High Street win that award for me.

(2) Economically it's got to be good. Lot's of jobs for students in the Tesco and a concentrated pocket of students with their spending power. I don't think it will affect local shops too much.

Big problem i see in Glasgow is roads. Dumbarton Road and it's surrounding tributaries are jammed solid all day.

What about the roads down at the squinty bridge, will that not be bedlam when that opens? What a rat run that will become.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:45 pm

Socceroo wrote:......................

What about the roads down at the squinty bridge, will that not be bedlam when that opens? What a rat run that will become.

The reason given for planning to scrap the tolls on the Erskine Bridge is to take pressure off the city centre crossings, including the tunnel.

I can just imagine a BBC executive going from home in Hyndland to work in Govan via Duntocher.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:52 pm

Socceroo wrote:Water and Sewerage considerations will have been taken care of way before the application went in for Planning.

There is a big problem in Glasgow getting enough Power, Drains and Water infrastructure into proposed developments, so as i said above the Design Team will / should have looked at these prior to lodging the Planning Application.

Although the Tesco could get permission to open 24/7 that does not mean the can sell alcohol after 10.00p.m.

Getting back to Crusty's points at the start of the thread :

(1) Aesthetically it ain't the worst thing i have seen, the student halls of residence at the top of the High Street win that award for me.

(2) Economically it's got to be good. Lot's of jobs for students in the Tesco and a concentrated pocket of students with their spending power. I don't think it will affect local shops too much.

Big problem i see in Glasgow is roads. Dumbarton Road and it's surrounding tributaries are jammed solid all day.

I never said they'd be sold alcohol after 10pm, but I can already see them trying in large numbers and then Tesco realising that 24/7 opening in an area with so many pubs as being more trouble than its worth.

Aesthetically the proposed building is very bland, its the scale of the thing that seems to be the problem.

I'm unsure as to the economic impact it would have to the local area though. I'm pretty certain that Morrisons and Sainsbury's would suffer as would Farmfoods at the bottom of Byres Rd. Iceland, Somerfield and M&S would also feel it to a lesser extent. There are so few small local traders left that I don't see them being very badly affected.

Traffic will be the major problem and to be honest between that and the scale of the development being so large I think they'll struggle to get it through intact. I'm pretty sure something will have to give, probably the flats and perhaps the sq footage of the store, before it would get permission. Although they'll probably claim that the store wouldn't be viable with out the flats.
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:06 pm

AlanM wrote:I never said they'd be sold alcohol after 10pm, but I can already see them trying in large numbers and then Tesco realising that 24/7 opening in an area with so many pubs as being more trouble than its worth.

I don't get that bit AlanM. What - is there large groups of drunken students crashing about the West End looking to get into closed Off Licences after 10.00p.m?

Do you actually think they would try and buy alcohol when they know it's not possible to obtain it?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:13 pm

Everywhere in the locality that sells alcohol closes when they are no longer able to sell it (or earlier in the case of the other supermarkets). Tesco will be open so folk will try and get served (or perhaps even try to help themselves).
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:16 pm

AlanM wrote:Everywhere in the locality that sells alcohol closes when they are no longer able to sell it (or earlier in the case of the other supermarkets). Tesco will be open so folk will try and get served (or perhaps even try to help themselves).

Er, bo***ks.

There are plenty of 24 hour stores around who I know are pretty stringent when it comes to selling alcohol within the stated hours.

As to people helping themselves, I dont think so.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:26 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Socceroo wrote:......................

The reason given for planning to scrap the tolls on the Erskine Bridge is to take pressure off the city centre crossings, including the tunnel.

I can just imagine a BBC executive going from home in Hyndland to work in Govan via Duntocher.

The M8 will be creaking under the pressure with that. All those people from Dumbarton now have Motorway access from that side of the Clyde direct into the city, and it's already creeking under the pressure. Ever managed to get from Tunnel junction to the Airport without stopping at night? :roll:
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:47 pm

My Kitten wrote: ...................
There are plenty of 24 hour stores around who I know are pretty stringent when it comes to selling alcohol within the stated hours.

Maybe Tesco are hoping that'll be enough to get them a 24 hour off sales chit.

"We're in darkest Partick and if we're not allowed to sell the stuff the b*st*rds will just nick it"
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:32 am

My Kitten wrote:
AlanM wrote:Everywhere in the locality that sells alcohol closes when they are no longer able to sell it (or earlier in the case of the other supermarkets). Tesco will be open so folk will try and get served (or perhaps even try to help themselves).

Er, bo***ks.

Wee shops with all of the booze behind the counter?

The only shop in the vicinity that I can think of that sells booze and is open 24 hrs is the one at the top of Byres Rd and they've got roller shutters to hide the alcohol outwith their licensed hours
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:07 am

AlanM wrote:
My Kitten wrote:

Er, bo***ks.

The only shop in the vicinity that I can think of that sells booze and is open 24 hrs is the one at the top of Byres Rd and they've got roller shutters to hide the alcohol outwith their licensed hours

Just like ASDA etc have barriers to stop people outwith licensed hours.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:24 am

Peckhams in Hyndland and in Glassford St. had licences to sell alcohol til 12. Not sure if they're still in force (and I admit, not really a ned kind of shop anyway! :wink: ).
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:23 am

My Kitten wrote:
AlanM wrote:
My Kitten wrote:

Er, bo***ks.

Just like ASDA etc have barriers to stop people outwith licensed hours.

Yeah, but Asda isn't surrounded by pubs emptying drunken eejits onto the street who would then be tempted to try and get more booze.

And a piece of webbing strung between 2 poles ain't gonna stop a ned on a mission
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development