Planning Application - Tesco at Partick

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Planning Application - Tesco at Partick

Postby hazy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:55 am

Some thing is seriously fishy about this planning application now by all accounts being granted. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:01 am

Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:05 am

ffs
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:59 pm

just to clarify, this is the development which has been recommended:

here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby AlanM » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Chances of it happening are distant at best as Glasgow Harbour owns a chunk of the land required for this development, having outbid Tesco for it and they are also against the development.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:24 pm

AlanM wrote:Chances of it happening are distant at best as Glasgow Harbour owns a chunk of the land required for this development, having outbid Tesco for it and they are also against the development.

Chances of it happening on the full scale are slim because of the current economic downturn.

Chances of it happening on a smaller scale via an amended Planning Application on the basis that they got Planning are very good. Watch that space.

Chances of the full thing happening if there was not an economic downturn are very good as Tesco would make Glasgow Harbour an offer they could not refuse.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Fossil wrote:ffs

Just clocked this ::): belter.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Socceroo wrote:
AlanM wrote:Chances of it happening are distant at best as Glasgow Harbour owns a chunk of the land required for this development, having outbid Tesco for it and they are also against the development.

Chances of it happening on the full scale are slim because of the current economic downturn.

Chances of it happening on a smaller scale via an amended Planning Application on the basis that they got Planning are very good. Watch that space.

Chances of the full thing happening if there was not an economic downturn are very good as Tesco would make Glasgow Harbour an offer they could not refuse.

Ah...but the reporter has ruled out the smaller standalone development that they didn't need they other bit of land for.

whether there is an economic downturn or not people still need to eat and Tesco isn't about getting people to spend more they're about getting people to spend what they've got in their stores
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:51 pm

I don't think Tesco is too worried about the Reporter.

What i meant is that they will build the Store and they will build some flats and student accommodation, not the stand alone Store. They could build a shrunken version of it or start building the development with the flats and student accommodation in phases that would suit them.

The Planning Conditions will no doubt state that they must complete the whole Development in a given timescale etc, but there are ways around that.

The fact is that they have got what they wanted in that they have their first major victory.

Myself personally, i do not have a particular problem with it, it does have it's benefits economically. Aesthetically it is a bit of a throw back but i have seen worse. Bringing that part of the Kelvin into the West End is also good with a walkway access etc.

The nightmarish bits are the traffic impact and the Public Utility Services such as electricity, drainage and water which are all a bit hit and miss down there.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:32 pm

I agree that something needs to be done with that site, but I think that the Tesco development, as it stands, isn't right for the area.
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:26 pm

Another quite apt photoshop deelie for thus thread

Courtesy of b3ta
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:55 pm

Am I alone in thinking the mega multilevel interchange thingie they've just finished (complete with brand new bridge over the Kelvin which turned out to be just for a slip road) is a little OTT for access to a new transport museum? What was wrong with the old roundabout? Couldn't be anything to do with access for zillions of happy shoppers to a possible giant new superstore could it?

Nah, my suspicious mind working overtime again...........
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44 am

Fossil wrote:ffs

My daughter works for Tesco (ducks to avoid missiles), she has put this picture up (anonymously) on the staff notice board!!
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Sunflower wrote:Am I alone in thinking the mega multilevel interchange thingie they've just finished (complete with brand new bridge over the Kelvin which turned out to be just for a slip road) is a little OTT for access to a new transport museum? What was wrong with the old roundabout? Couldn't be anything to do with access for zillions of happy shoppers to a possible giant new superstore could it?

The new road network, bridges and slip road were basically enabling works for the whole area to make the parcels of land more accessible along the Clyde, past the Kelvin and right up to the earlier Glasgow Harbour stuff.

I don't know what was originally allocated for the Tesco Site on the original Masterplan, but that Site would have been taken into consideration also.

Three years ago it was difficult to get electricity supply capacity in Partick for a new development as Tesco had already planned / "bought" an electricity suppy allocation for the Site. It shows how confident they were. Money talks.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:31 pm

Socceroo wrote:
Sunflower wrote:Am I alone in thinking the mega multilevel interchange thingie they've just finished (complete with brand new bridge over the Kelvin which turned out to be just for a slip road) is a little OTT for access to a new transport museum? What was wrong with the old roundabout? Couldn't be anything to do with access for zillions of happy shoppers to a possible giant new superstore could it?

The new road network, bridges and slip road were basically enabling works for the whole area to make the parcels of land more accessible along the Clyde, past the Kelvin and right up to the earlier Glasgow Harbour stuff.

I don't know what was originally allocated for the Tesco Site on the original Masterplan, but that Site would have been taken into consideration also.

Three years ago it was difficult to get electricity supply capacity in Partick for a new development as Tesco had already planned / "bought" an electricity suppy allocation for the Site. It shows how confident they were. Money talks.

Money talks - surely not? I wonder if that's why they use their slogan, 'Every little helps...'. Is it on all their letterheading? Planning application with 'every little helps....' Ahem, anyone thinking what I am thinking?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development