Planning Application - Tesco at Partick

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby hazy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:12 am

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Knightswood Shopping Centre - surely that's an oxymoron?

Butchers, tea room, audio visual shop gone and in place an extended bookies, fast food outlet and now opening up shortly is a one stop shop for people single parents looking for jobs. Great idea but this potentially prime location could have been further developed and given the locals well needed stores or even a part time police office would have been welcomed by the residents.

KSC is not the only shopping area to be neglected - if it aint in a mall, with thousans of caur parking places forget it!

Del if you just take a wee bit of time and stand a watch the people who actually use this dinosaur of a shopping area you will then come to terms with its lack of investment. Coffin dodgers and shell suit Boabs.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:34 am

Do you honestly believe that Argyle Street, Sauchiehall St and Braehead have such a different class of shopper?
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:11 pm

And don't forget that there's already a biggish Tesco in Maryhill Shopping Centre, which they are apparently going to do up this year. They have fancy diagrams and pictures up in an empty shop unit there. They are also opening a 'Tesco Express' on Argyle Street, a few blocks along from Central Station. This is only, what, 5 minutes walk? from the Tesco Metro at the other end of Argyle Street. It's getting out of hand, it really is. We need more Co-op's. Proper Co-ops, not the wee overpriced ones like in Cessnock and Kelvinbridge!! But not too bliddy many!! I agree the wee shops in Partick would suffer, and while they may be mostly charity shops and the like, they're still better than another Sauchie/Argyle Street full of Primark, Body Shop, HMV etc clones that we have plenty of already.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:32 pm

lynnski wrote:And don't forget that there's already a biggish Tesco in Maryhill Shopping Centre, which they are apparently going to do up this year. They have fancy diagrams and pictures up in an empty shop unit there. They are also opening a 'Tesco Express' on Argyle Street, a few blocks along from Central Station. This is only, what, 5 minutes walk? from the Tesco Metro at the other end of Argyle Street. It's getting out of hand, it really is. We need more Co-op's. Proper Co-ops, not the wee overpriced ones like in Cessnock and Kelvinbridge!! But not too bliddy many!! I agree the wee shops in Partick would suffer, and while they may be mostly charity shops and the like, they're still better than another Sauchie/Argyle Street full of Primark, Body Shop, HMV etc clones that we have plenty of already.

Insider information would indicate that the Tesco Metro in Argyle Street is getting closed down due to asbestos in the building.

On the Tescopoly front although not in Glasgow there is only one petrol station in Helensburgh and it is run by Tesco. The stupid thing is people park there cars at the pumps and go in for a weekly shop. There is already a Tesco in the centre of Helensburgh as it is.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lynnski » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:58 pm

Eejits! They're just exacerbating the problem!
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deevlash » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:49 pm

Verbal Kint wrote:
lynnski wrote:And don't forget that there's already a biggish Tesco in Maryhill Shopping Centre, which they are apparently going to do up this year. They have fancy diagrams and pictures up in an empty shop unit there. They are also opening a 'Tesco Express' on Argyle Street, a few blocks along from Central Station. This is only, what, 5 minutes walk? from the Tesco Metro at the other end of Argyle Street. It's getting out of hand, it really is. We need more Co-op's. Proper Co-ops, not the wee overpriced ones like in Cessnock and Kelvinbridge!! But not too bliddy many!! I agree the wee shops in Partick would suffer, and while they may be mostly charity shops and the like, they're still better than another Sauchie/Argyle Street full of Primark, Body Shop, HMV etc clones that we have plenty of already.

Insider information would indicate that the Tesco Metro in Argyle Street is getting closed down due to asbestos in the building.

On the Tescopoly front although not in Glasgow there is only one petrol station in Helensburgh and it is run by Tesco. The stupid thing is people park there cars at the pumps and go in for a weekly shop. There is already a Tesco in the centre of Helensburgh as it is.

The metro probably is closing, Theres boat loads of asbestos in that building and the landlords charge ridiculous amounts of money for a site surrounded by crappy poundshops. I used to work there and had a nose about the building a fair few times, the undeground sewage overflow was "interesting"
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:07 am

Traders take a stand against plan for massive development

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/other/display.var.1142152.0.0.php

Residents and traders in the west end of Glasgow are campaigning against plans by Tesco to build a massive retail and housing development at the foot of Byres Road.

More than 1000 people have signed a petition against the 7500-square metre supermarket behind Partick Cross, which would be built along with 900 student flats, 300 private flats and a 600-space underground car park.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:17 pm

It is causing mayhem already. The Utilities companies don't have enough drainage capacity or enough electricity down at the Beith Street area.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:47 pm

Socceroo wrote:It is causing mayhem already. The Utilities companies don't have enough drainage capacity or enough electricity down at the Beith Street area.

Is that why there's going to be roadworks along Dumbarton Rd for the best part of the year?

Passed the early warning signs tonight.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:03 am

demolition of Partick Central starts :(

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/other/d ... 69.0.0.php
StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alasdair » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:23 pm

It is insane, trying to suggest that Knightswood Shopping Centre should be turned into a big Tesco. Tesco sucks money out of the area around it. I'd hate to see Alderman Road or Dumbarton Road (Yoker) in five years time if there was a big supermarket in Knightswood.

Tesco takes money out of towns, it doesn't put anything back in. I stay 200 yards from one, and try to avoid using it.
Alasdair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:33 pm

Sorry, I have re-read the threads and although I and others have used Knightswood Shopping Centre as an example of poor standard of shops - I don't think anyone has suggested inviting Tesco in.

Perhaps I am just being paranoid but of all the supermarket chains, I personally think Tesco is the most aggressive and rail road everyone to get where they want, when they want. Anyone else feel that way?
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:58 pm

I would have supermarkets nationalised. Buts thats just my personal choice... ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:24 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Sorry, I have re-read the threads and although I and others have used Knightswood Shopping Centre as an example of poor standard of shops - I don't think anyone has suggested inviting Tesco in.

Perhaps I am just being paranoid but of all the supermarket chains, I personally think Tesco is the most aggressive and rail road everyone to get where they want, when they want. Anyone else feel that way?

All Supermarkets are aggressive Delmont, they would not think twice about demolishing the City Chambers and plonking a lumping great store in there if they could.

But of course they would provide the requisite cheaply built Nursery, Doctors Surgery and new Primary School and any other number of small buildings in exchange to get the land. :wink:
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:07 pm

Thats it. Never again will those scum fuck bastards at tesco get another brown penny out my pocket. I just hope that people will now realize that tesco dont give a fuckin jot about anyone except its profit and loss margin. There so called concern for the need for a store in Partick because the people wanted it was just an absolute load of shit. They just demolished Partick central on the sly. And if they say they did it early to stop any traffic choas then they have just shot themselves in the foot again. That is part of the argument against the bastards. KEEP TRASHCO OUT OF PARTICK. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development