The South Rotunda is for sale!!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The South Rotunda is for sale!!!

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:31 am

E&C

11Aug

Southern Rotunda, Glasgow

We are pleased to announce that we have been selected to work with Glasgow Building Preservation Trust on the rehabilitation of the currently derelict Southern Rotunda.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:05 am

Found this poster in my clutter. :D

Did anyone go to this ?

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 am

I did. It was ok, as I recall.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:06 am

Mori wrote:Found this poster in my clutter. :D

Did anyone go to this ?

There was a thing you could shout down and people would hear you on the other side? A sort of speaking-tube arrangement, I think. Only thing I can remember from it.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Yes PJ, and the there was also some strange thing (a bird-type model?)balancing on a tightrope? Mind you, I wasn't off the sauce at that time so...
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:09 pm

potatojunkie wrote:

Did anyone go to this ?

There was a thing you could shout down and people would hear you on the other side? A sort of speaking-tube arrangement, I think. Only thing I can remember from it.

Ah yes, like Brigit's Cranial Conduit. In one ear and out the other... :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:07 pm

scran

One of the 'hands on' exhibits at the Dome of Discovery exhibition at the South Rotunda

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 pm

potatojunkie wrote:

Did anyone go to this ?

Yep Satrosphere in Aberdeen had one and the Science centre has one, It comprises two satelite dish type parts with rings at the focal points of the dish. you speak into one ring and the other person hears the sound out of the other ring, utelising the focusing power of a concave? surface

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Some Guy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:25 pm

That's interesting Mori. Can you give me some more details?

I was on the phone to the agents today who were citing this preservation project and blocking any sale... I'll persevere.
I asked the price in the current state, I was told around £500k. I asked if I could buy it, I was told no because of the aforementioned project that mori is involved with?
Also, I hear from the title that it "must only be used for high quality offices" - some sort of clause that STV forced through when they built their studio? (or so I have been told).

So, the short story is. I'm not allowed to buy it for £500k.
I need to wait until the regeneration of it is complete.
The regeneration is lightly to cost £1.3million.
Once the regeneration is complete it will no longer be suitable for my purposes (i.e it will be an office block) :(
Some Guy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm

That's interesting Mori. Can you give me some more details?

Sorry you have Missed out on the south rotunda sale, its an initiative led by the GBPT ( Glasgow Building and Preservation Trust) and they are backed by GCC Heritage and Design & Historic Scotland.

The Building has been lying for many years to be redeveloped, part of the problem was the amount of car parking that was allowed and had space for, i think it was about 12 spaces at one time when i enquired a few years back, which in turn put a lot of developers off and made it very hard to redevelop the building in to anything feasible that would make a good return.

I haven't got anything to do with the development as you mention, but it was a BTW discussion with the GBPT on another development project i am working with on as a volunteer @ the Lyceum Cinema Govan that i got to know of SR development.

its good that there has been interest from the authorities to renew this building as its an important building to this part of the river and indeed to Govan and Glasgow.

Hope this helps. :D

Ps what were you hoping to turn the building in to ?
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Some Guy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 am

Interesting. I'll see if I can get in touch with the two bodies to find out what the status is. Unless you know what they are going to do with it?
As far as I am aware it is still owned by Miller (who build the surrounding buildings).

I was thinking that it would be an interesting building to have my handmade Scottish confectionery company within :?
Some Guy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Glasgow Architeture

Project by Alan Dunlop Architect

South Rotunda - Proposal
South Rotunda : Ideas in Principle
Design: Alan Dunlop Architect

At present, the South Rotunda stands alone. However, its isolation is a relatively recent development. When originally constructed it was sur-rounded by and connected to auxiliary buildings. So there is a precedent which will support a proposal for a new development around and connected to the rotunda. The critical and persuasive case will be that any development is done with sensitivity to the Grade B Listed structure and can be considered by planners and conservationists as a positive addition to the rotunda and the adjoining public realm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Is it not in danger of getting a wee bit congested down there?

You only have to look at the mish-mash of developments directly across the river and the parking problems which have ensued to know there's more to a successful development than simply having enough space for the footprint of the building.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:38 am

The Egg Man wrote:Is it not in danger of getting a wee bit congested down there?

You only have to look at the mish-mash of developments directly across the river and the parking problems which have ensued to know there's more to a successful development than simply having enough space for the footprint of the building.

That should be the new name for the Clyde Walkway (North and South).
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Noticed there is fencing and scafolding going up around the South Rotunda today. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development