M74 Extension goes ahead

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bar room philosophers

Postby Joan Burnie » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:15 am

Strange isn’t it? You post your views as a new member on a fantastic site for Glaswegians and what do you get. Electronic abuse.

It’s a wonder that some of you boys (and I am assuming boys, you probably weren’t breast fed, and if you were you probably didn’t do it right even then) feel that is up to you to bully a new member, a woman. Your judgements have been clouded by work and thinking you can have a short sharp laugh at my expense and other woman you try and make myself out as some sort of trouble maker, because I don’t agree with your views.

On to the original topic the M74.It does get very boring reading folk; knocking what will be good for the majority of people in the city and Scotland wide. It’s a BLOODY motorway, its not life or death. But going by some of the boys on here it looks like it is. (Get you Blood pressure checked).

Consider that the roads are quiet when the school holidays are on. Also, car sharing is also an option. It needs to be built, but I assume that some folk are more interested in the view from their kitchen window being spoiled. I imagine that a few decades back folk like (insert name here) were complaining about too many hand-carts and horse’s in the city centre.

Reading some of the posts about this thread I wouldn’t be surprised that some of those that post, enjoy the art of cutting and pasting… make’s them look like they care and hope to change council thinking posting here.

Bar room philosophers… fancy a haulf then sonny

Jean B

PS here are some ,,,??//?\\\..... Maybe the spelling and grammars not up to all your standards but I do have a life!
Read my page in the Record
Joan Burnie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Bar room philosophers

Postby mrlipring » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:14 pm

Joan Burnie wrote:Strange isn’t it? You post your views as a new member on a fantastic site for Glaswegians and what do you get. Electronic abuse.

I know people who'd pay for that.

It’s a wonder that some of you boys (and I am assuming boys, you probably weren’t breast fed, and if you were you probably didn’t do it right even then) feel that is up to you to bully a new member, a woman. Your judgements have been clouded by work and thinking you can have a short sharp laugh at my expense and other woman you try and make myself out as some sort of trouble maker, because I don’t agree with your views.

Our judgements have been clouded by work? What does that even mean? Are you drunk? Are you George?

What does being breast fed have to do with not appreciating someone attempting (BADLY) to make us think we have a journalist (and i use that term loosely, she's an agony aunt, which is as repectable as doing the horoscopes) in our midst? What would it matter anyway?

You ARE a trouble maker. You're on here pretending to be Joan Burnie. And saying inflammatory things, while keping the pretense up. That's troublemaking.

On to the original topic the M74.It does get very boring reading folk; knocking what will be good for the majority of people in the city and Scotland wide. It’s a BLOODY motorway, its not life or death. But going by some of the boys on here it looks like it is. (Get you Blood pressure checked).

Consider that the roads are quiet when the school holidays are on. Also, car sharing is also an option. It needs to be built, but I assume that some folk are more interested in the view from their kitchen window being spoiled. I imagine that a few decades back folk like (insert name here) were complaining about too many hand-carts and horse’s in the city centre.

That's better, talking about the road. I might not agree with you (in fact i don't really care either way) but at least you're on-topic.

Reading some of the posts about this thread I wouldn’t be surprised that some of those that post, enjoy the art of cutting and pasting… make’s them look like they care and hope to change council thinking posting here.

Well, here is just about discussion. Those who care about the issues do more than talk about it. I wouldn't expect to change the world by posting on a message board, but i would expect to find others with the same views as me, and perhaps then we could join forces in our attempts to right whatever wrongs we see. Surely you're not so thick that you don't see that, are you? I suspect, however, that you are. What's wrong, did usenet trolling bore you?

Bar room philosophers… fancy a haulf then sonny

Jean B

PS here are some ,,,??//?\\\..... Maybe the spelling and grammars not up to all your standards but I do have a life!

You have a life? You come onto internet message boards pretending to be a pretty insignificant journalist, at least in relation to the content of the message board, giving us abuse and writing paragraph after paragraph of pish and nonsense (admittedly lending weight to your claim to be JB...), yet you have a life. Denial must be fun.

Who's Jean B, anyway? Forgotten how to spell her name now? You're not trying any more! The point i made about you being barely literate was that you write for a living. It's kinda in your interest to be able to distribute those full-stops, commas, question marks, and all their squiggly little friends in a way that makes your sentences make sense, which you're clearly unable to do. You're a fraud, and a bad one at that.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Strike Team » Sun May 01, 2005 3:25 pm

Looking back over this thread, there's an absolutely deafening silence from the greenies in response to the comments I made earlier about my health problems, and the fact that my car is the only option:

Unfortunately public transport isn't an option for me. I have ME, and my walking distance is very restricted, physically overdoing it can leave me flattened for days. My only travel option is my car, as long as I can park in close to where I'm going. I've tried to get a disabled badge before and been turned down, I'm currently jumping through the hoops to try and get one again.

The greenies seem to just rant on about evil motorists, and completely ignore issues like this. It's bad enough having to struggle to do simple stuff like making dinner or doing my shopping, not to mention the sheer frustration of not being able to work. On top of all that I've got a bunch of self-righteous eco-bullies deliberately and maliciously trying to kick me on my weak spot.
Strike Team
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon May 02, 2005 12:45 pm

Why complain about emissions from this motorway. 20 years from now all the oil will have been used up by China and America. As for destruction of 'habitats' or whatever, as has already been said, a gap was left for this road, just as was done for the M77( which admittedly went through Pollok park). Any property this road goes through will be abandoned factories. Half the houses there are abandoned anyway

:( :( :x
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Tue May 03, 2005 12:01 pm

Vladimir

If you look back through the thread you'll see one of my earlier postings regarding the loss of the Morris furniture factory which is still very much operational. This will mean the removal of 500 highly skilled and well paid jobs to another location that doesn't necessarily have to be local. This is a company that continuously wins awards for exports and it is just one of several affected businesses. Not the kind of business that Glasgow's metropolitan area can afford to lose.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Tue May 03, 2005 2:37 pm

Very good point CC, a factory that will no doubt be enticed out to a nice greenfield site at East Kilbride or Cumbernauld - public money being part of the package.
Glasgow looses again.

Vlad has also highlighted the oil question and he's right - although he should have included Europe, Japan and Russia in the future picture of oil consumption. My grand children will not drive fossil fuel powered cars, there will be no fossil fuel left.
Maybe then climate change will stabilise - if its not by then too late and irrevocable.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 03, 2005 6:19 pm

I did'nt know about that factory and it sounds like an important local employer. It would be more worth exploiting the rail lines in that area , they are already there, take up a smaller space than a six lane motorway would if any need to be built and are more sustainable in the long run.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Strike Team » Tue May 03, 2005 10:44 pm

Still no reply to my last post from the eco-bullies. Funny that. Bullies always want to have a go at people that they percieve to be weak, but when you stand up and fight they run away. So come on Escotrogen, what've you got to say for yourself then?
Strike Team
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed May 04, 2005 9:40 am

Someone come up with a car that is eco friendly and there will be no problems, Strike Team, right now its a 'sin' to use a car because of pollution, perhaps green cars will come along. Admittedly a lot if not all 'greenies' drive cars, on the very same roads as we do, so they cant really complain. :? .

They are an essential means of transport for many people, and it would be unfair to restrict acces to those who really need them.

But, as for the M74 itself, its just a sign that we have too many cars, a family only really needs one, has nobody heard of carpools? The road will go ahead, despite protests from Rosie Kane etc. , so theres not much anybody can do about it :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grant » Thu May 05, 2005 1:43 am

Strike Team wrote:Still no reply to my last post from the eco-bullies. Funny that. Bullies always want to have a go at people that they percieve to be weak, but when you stand up and fight they run away. So come on Escotrogen, what've you got to say for yourself then?

They are probably ignoring you because you are ranting and calling them names.

Being against the M74 isn't a personal attack on you. Despite your medical condition and your very good need of a car, the fact remains that cars are bad for the environment.

Ironically, they can also contribute to the very problems which people who medically need cars suffer from.

I've re-read the thread and I don't see you being bullied. Try not to feel that way as I honestly don't think this is about you. This is a nice site and I see little more than polite debate.

I hope there is some improvement with your condition. I also wish you good luck with your quest for a blue badge.
Grant
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Apollo » Thu May 05, 2005 11:46 am

Cars are bad for the environment, but good for government as they can keep sneaking a few pence in tax on them in the name of environmental protection, and shame anyone that speaks against it (eco-bullies?).

I really have no time for the so-called environmentalist, whatever they want to call themselves, so long as things like jet travel are allowed to grow unchecked and effectively untaxed, while injecting pollution and particulates directly into the upper atmosphere.

Instead of reducing this effect, we seem to be hell bent on more and cheaper holidays all around the world, and instead of using global communications to reduce travel and costs, it looks as if big companies are proud to boast of how many of their staff they can shuffle around their international offices.

Look at the size of Britain, or even Scotland. We're screwed in terms of pollution/environmental taxes, and we're the equivalent of a global pimple in comparison to the unchecked, and untaxed polluters.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JoeyCape » Fri May 06, 2005 1:38 am

Maybe we can build some new tower blocks to go with the new road!! It seems as if nothing has been learned from the 60's and70's and again the South of the city is to suffer.
Not to be content with erasing so many communities along with their shops, pubs, cinemas, dance halls and factories from the face of the earth, we are now preparing to ruin what little remains. :cry:
JoeyCape
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri May 06, 2005 9:11 am

It wasn't roads and high rises that did the worst damage to this city. 'Factories' is the word to concentrate on, and their dissapearance during the 60's, 70's and 80's. Even now they are preparing to shut down IBM in Greenock. :evil:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Fri May 06, 2005 12:49 pm

Vladimir wrote:Even now they are preparing to shut down IBM in Greenock. :evil:

Maybe not.
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri May 06, 2005 1:20 pm

I hope not :(

My dad worked in National Semiconductors, NEC, Motorola and while some plants are still in Scotland we had to move to France because of job cuts.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development