Conversion & extension of Telfer House, Miller S

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Conversion & extension of Telfer House, Miller S

Postby escotregen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:45 am

Oh look... another hotel development in central Glasgow..
http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/5360/Work_gets_underway_on_city_centre_Ibis_Hotel.html
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Conversion & extension of Telfer House, Miller S

Postby motman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:34 am

I use Ibis hotels all the time in my travels across the UK and France, and have no complaints. Ibis Styles is an acronym for a normal Ibis, like the one in West Regent Street, with weird interior design - you'll either love it or hate it - with a price to pay for it :?
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:37 am

motman wrote:I use Ibis hotels all the time in my travels across the UK and France, and have no complaints. Ibis Styles is an acronym for a normal Ibis, like the one in West Regent Street, with weird interior design - you'll either love it or hate it - with a price to pay for it :?

Agreed - I've stayed in the ibis on West Regent St a couple of times....cheap and cheerful maybe (£42 p/n booked at only a few days notice...), and the rooms are depressingly modular, but I certainly put it above Travelodge in terms of cleanliness and service. Used them in Paris as well, and they are dirt cheap in what is a notoriously expensive city.

On a side note, I get the impression now that Premier Inn isn't really "budget" anymore, as they seem to be edging further upmarket. I can see them becoming a quasi full-service hotel chain eventually.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:45 am

Agree with comment on whether Premier Inn is indeed still 'budget'. My impression in the events sector over the past couple of years is that Premier Inn seem to have moved increasingly into that and that may be influencing their pricing strategy. Caveat on 'moved increasingly into', as it's probably equally fair to say that post-recession strapped companies have increasingly made more use of what were 'budget' brands like Premier Inn. Now that the (very dubious) economic 'recovery' is meant to be here , perhaps Premier Inn has been tapping a more lucrative business market.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:47 am

escotregen wrote:Agree with comment on whether Premier Inn is indeed still 'budget'. My impression in the events sector over the past couple of years is that Premier Inn seem to have moved increasingly into that and that may be influencing their pricing strategy. Caveat on 'moved increasingly into', as it's probably equally fair to say that post-recession strapped companies have increasingly made more use of what were 'budget' brands like Premier Inn. Now that the (very dubious) economic 'recovery' is meant to be here , perhaps Premier Inn has been tapping a more lucrative business market.

In London, Premier Inns are now just as expensive as the bigger names in a lot of cases. I got into a Hilton at shortish notice for a good £50 less than Premier Inn's so-called "cheap" rate not that long ago.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:43 pm

escotregen wrote:Oh look... another hotel development in central Glasgow..
http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/5360/Work_gets_underway_on_city_centre_Ibis_Hotel.html

I remember many, many years ago (OK 20.... it was 1994) there was a second hand academic book dealer in Telfer House - freshers at Strathclyde were always directed to it in the early weeks of term when they saw the (ripoff) prices being charged at John Smith's (on St Vincent St - also sadly gone). Anyone else remember it?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development