Scottish Power building - St Vincent Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Scottish Power building - St Vincent Street

Postby Socceroo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:03 pm

I see that Laing O Rourke have now put up three luffing jib tower cranes on the Site of the new Scottish Power building on St Vincent Street.

Given how closely placed together that the cranes are, I think that this is an accident waiting to happen. I hope that I am wrong, but they will need to have eyes in the back of their heads to stop these cranes coming into "conflict" during the period of the build.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Scottish Power building - St Vincent Street

Postby neilmc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Photo taken from North Street back in April, Scottish Power site on left:-

Untitled by neilmc_photos, on Flickr

They're making pretty slow progress.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:46 am

CDM regs (which all large building projects have to abide by) have pretty strict guidelines on the placement and use of tower cranes - you have to put together a method statement on how you are going to organise all your crane stuff - which all has to conform to BS7121 (I think is the right standard, been a while since I worked in civils) so I am pretty sure it's all been taken care of - no matter how ramshackle it may appear to a layman's eyes.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:22 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:CDM regs (which all large building projects have to abide by) have pretty strict guidelines on the placement and use of tower cranes - you have to put together a method statement on how you are going to organise all your crane stuff - which all has to conform to BS7121 (I think is the right standard, been a while since I worked in civils) so I am pretty sure it's all been taken care of - no matter how ramshackle it may appear to a layman's eyes.

I have managed large construction projects in Glasgow with multiple luffing jib tower cranes. Yes, they will have method statements, safety processes and fail safes etc, but I cannot help think that what they are doing with the cranes in close proximity to each other is risky. The radius of their jibs potentially overlap with each other.

As I said in my opening post, I hope I am wrong, and that all goes well, but when I drove past it jumped out at me.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development