Urban Park for underneath M74 Flyover

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Urban Park for underneath M74 Flyover

Postby escotregen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Urban park plans for underneath the Glasgow M74 motorway flyover will be on show in The Lighthouse until 10th Aug (usual architects' statutory pastel people and wee twiggy trees in the images here).
http://www.thelighthouse.co.uk/visit/exhibition/gusm74
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:35 pm
Location: glasgow

Re: Urban Park for underneath M74 Flyover

Postby Josef » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:31 pm

I once had to rescue a skateboarder from a concrete bowl in Kelvingrove substantially less deep than the one in that final illustration.

Particularly icy day, bloke trying to show off, lost traction at the bottom and couldn't even crawl his way back up the ice.

Quite amusing for me, less so for him, I imagine.
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8145
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Re: Urban Park for underneath M74 Flyover

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:20 am

I don't see any real benefit from a skate park tucked under a motorway, it could quickly become a bit of a litter trap and a big canvas for graffiti artists.
User avatar
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Mount Flo, Glasgow

Re: Urban Park for underneath M74 Flyover

Postby Sharon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Josef wrote:I once had to rescue a skateboarder from a concrete bowl in Kelvingrove substantially less deep than the one in that final illustration.

Particularly icy day, bloke trying to show off, lost traction at the bottom and couldn't even crawl his way back up the ice.

Quite amusing for me, less so for him, I imagine.


:D

Socceroo wrote:I don't see any real benefit from a skate park tucked under a motorway, it could quickly become a bit of a litter trap and a big canvas for graffiti artists.


If it gets used it wouldn't fill with litter and is then a nice thing for kids to use; if it doesn't I don't suppose it would take much filling it. Pretty much an impossible task to do anything particularly nice under a motorway I imagine, its not really where most would have any interest in spending time! The only other thing I could come up with was car parking; i prefer the skate park idea. Better something than nothing?
Beware of yawning dogs.
User avatar
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:30 am
Location: Galloway

Re: Urban Park for underneath M74 Flyover

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 pm

::): they (architects) never seem to learn do they....

They obviously haven't seen all those artists' renderings from the 1960s, of the M8/GIRR when it was proposed, you know the one all those happy people walking on overbridges and underpasses with lots of green trees and shrubbery around and the utopian vision of everyone living in harmony with concrete around them everywhere.

Parks under motorways does NOT work. End of.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Urban Park for underneath M74 Flyover

Postby sandabound » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 pm

when the parky goes to lock up at night there'll be another corpse lying beside the discarded irn bru bottle that left a lorry travelling at 50 MPH in the inside lane :D
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:53 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Urban Park for underneath M74 Flyover

Postby Josef » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:52 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:They obviously haven't seen all those artists' renderings from the 1960s, of the M8/GIRR when it was proposed, you know the one all those happy people walking on overbridges and underpasses with lots of green trees and shrubbery around and the utopian vision of everyone living in harmony with concrete around them everywhere.


... and playing chess, if I recall. :-)
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8145
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm


Return to Glasgow Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest