Petition - Restore Govan Graving Docks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Petition - Restore Govan Graving Docks

Postby Dunmaglas » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Petition to Glasgow City Council DRS to restore the Govan Graving Docks complex and create a shipbuilding heritage park on the site. Please sign and share the petition if this is something you would like to see created.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/g ... itage-park

We the undersigned request Glasgow City Council, along with other relevant stakeholders, look into the possibility of renovating the Govan Graving Docks at Clydebrae Street in Glasgow to create a shipbuilding heritage park on the site. As much as possible of the existing dock structure should be retained, including the renovation of the pump house building as a café and visitor centre.

The site is Category-A listed and identified in the Register for Scotland as being at risk. It is a significant part of the city’s industrial heritage however since closing down it has fallen into disrepair through years of neglect. It consists of three large drydocks that were capable of accommodating the largest ships in the world when they were built. The dock walls are of solid granite and despite showing much cosmetic wear they are likely to be structurally intact.

Most other docks in Glasgow have been filled in to make way for modern developments and this is one of the few remaining docks on the Clyde, apart from those still in operation, that have not been completely filled and built over. As such any modern developments that would destroy the character of the site should be ruled out.

A shipbuilding heritage park would be a major tourist attraction for Glasgow and fit well with other redevelopments in the surrounding area such as Pacific Quay and the Riverside Museum.

Further information on the site is available at http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/909298

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/g ... itage-park
Dunmaglas
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Petition - Restore Govan Graving Docks

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Done.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:33 am

Done. I actually think its a great idea. Would complement other heritage stuff in the city. Its something that captures the imagination of the wider public too - not just Glaswegians. As an Island nation, celebrating that history I can only imagine being popular. Look how popular the historic docks at Portmouth are....shame there aren't more buildings left.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RDR » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 am

Signed, I agree with Sharon's comments above, however, I fear with GCC currently obsessed with the Commonwealth games and the potential financial consequences of those, they just won't want to consider this.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Just look at the success of the Titanic quarter in belfast. A great model to build on. Especilally with the amont of famous ships built on the clyde. It would be great if they would bring the Cutty Sark home.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Done.
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Leaving petitions for other folk to do something aside, if you get some folk together to just weed the bloody place, then I'll happily come along and join you.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:12 pm

this thread inspired me to go down and have a nosey. Someone has been down and been cutting down all the trees. I was filming in the Govan shed the previous week. So i had a wee word with the owner of it and asked his thoughts on what should be done there. According to him, SEPA are involved now, and they are preventing any work happening until something is done to prevent flooding on the site.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:30 pm

The Graving Docks are Glasgow at its ‘most hidden.’ It is certainly not the easiest of places to visit which is a great shame. It is an example of civil engineering at its very best. Close up these dry docks are just so impressive. They were the biggest in the world at one time. A thoroughly fascinating visit and one I would recommend. I would urge everyone reading this post to complete petition now. This is one part of Glasgow’s proud industrial past which has to be preserved.
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development