26 storey blocks at wyndeford

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

26 storey blocks at wyndeford

Postby Confuzedglasgow » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi I'm Scott and new to the forum.
I am looking for some advise on social housing?. After reading some of the past posts on how it may be difficult to get a housing association house unless you fit into a certain category, which I don't! Ie I'm working "self employed" 33 yrs male..

Anyways I noticed that cube housing association is advertising they have one bedrooms and studio apartments available on the wyndford estate within the 26 storey block and wanted to ask if anyone knows much abut these flats? And the area?? Also noticed about the new energy saving programme they are installing there too,and thought what ah great idea..
I have contacted them and asked for some indication on how long the waiting list is for them, got a reply straight away too, that said its hard to say.
Any advise is much appreciated :)
Confuzedglasgow
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: 26 storey blocks at wyndeford

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Social housing is allocated on a need basis. Your need is calculated on the basis of the number of points your application carries.

How long you'll wait is down to how many points you have v points others have and the availability of suitable homes.

There's a plan amongst a number of north/ west Glasgow housing associations to create a common housing register but disagreement continues as to what questions should be/ need to be asked so I doubt it'll arrive any time soon.

Good luck.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:57 pm

My advice is to register with every social housing landlord. Some have different criteria and award you points for working in the area, for having family in the area, medical needs etc.

As to the white 26 storey blocks they are ok - it all depends on who is your neighbour! I was born in the 14 storey flats in the Wyndford and they were good but the then SSHA (Scottish Special Housing Association) changed the allocation of houses and individuals with social difficulties were replacing families within these blocks and the result was that more and more families were looking to leave their houses after many long years of tenure.

However, it is like any other area in Glasgow, it has it's good and bad and as to the quality of housing itself, these blocks in question can be cold in the winter, stuffy in the summer. Difficult to heat was the complaint about the 26's when we lived there but like everything else it depends on your expectations. I know in years gone by the houses were full of condensation particularly when you got higher up but proper ventilation helps that and I believe they've since changed the metal framed windows....

As to the area itself, well it borders on Kevlindale, Kelvinside, and is handy for transport and links, the amenities such as shops are good and you could live in worse.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Check to see if the wyndford are being 'moved over' to GHA, my dads with cube and his blocks are 'merging' with GHA, and sadly from what i read they dont have an overly great reputation, i may be wrong as ive never dealt with them, and personally, hope i never have to
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:42 pm

I don't think anywhere is going to GHA. That's completely against the reason they were set up in the first place.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Confuzedglasgow » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:37 am

Thanks so much for the advise :)
I grew up in damp squaler in easterhouse and seen the effects it had on my family's health, father and brothers got bad asthma, I got acute bronchitis.. Left easterhouse around 12 yrs ago with no intention of ever going back to social housing or an estate for that matter.
Lived all over the city, mostly in southside, shawlands, govan hill, all private let's!
Getting sick ov private landlords tbh.. The area around govan hill ah have to say is now worst than easterhouse even though it's mostly private let's. Easterhouse has had massive regeneration and my parents have a lovely semi detached nowa days.

The thing that's attracting me back to social housing is that where I grew up there was a sense of community, aye there was good and bad, like everywhere in Glasgow.. You could also decorate your own place and your home felt just like your home.. It does seem that, yea maybe social houses haven't been ov great quality in the past, but they have had years ov regeneration and the quality of the homes are ov a better standard than most of the private let's I have lived in.
Ohh not to mention the prices of private let's. Cost you 300 quid to live in a small box with shared amenities these days, whereas you can have your own one bed flat for that.
Cube seem to be a decent housing association? Would love to live around the southside but think I might be on a housing list for many years, basically intae plumbs!
Confuzedglasgow
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Get your name on the lists, but realistically I wouldn't hold your breath. One bed flats are at a premium in social housing all over Glasgow, and those that are available are usually earmarked for priority cases like care leavers.

My other half and I were being evicted from our house last year because it was being sold, and we were at that time facing being made homeless. None of the social landlords could prioritise us because we have no kids.

When we were flat hunting, we were focusing on Dennistoun and that area. We ended up hitting the jackpot with a flat in the city, but the more flexible you can be with your location, the better chance you have.

Good luck. It's a pain having to pay a premium to rent privately because you don't fit the criteria.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Confuzedglasgow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 am

Just a wee update on the search for affordable housing, the Scottish gov have offered and given funding to housing assocciations for mid market rents. I'm sure folk have heard of these already?!
But if you haven't, we'll it seems like a decent way to affordable housing if your in employment. God knows how I shall get on with the criteria being a freelancer. But hoping to get a response to my email in due course.
Confuzedglasgow
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Development