Revamp for Odeon

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Revamp for Odeon

Postby urbainespion » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Cracking set that, cheers for the link :)
"Aut disce aut discede" Anon.

Project Hawick: http://projecthawick.forumatic.com/index.php
urbainespion
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 pm

At least I saw ONE film in it during my lifetime before it shut (Bridget Jones' Diary funnily enough - not that long before the doors closed for the last time). The one consolation I guess is that the "pretty" part of the building is being retained and restored, but I never cared very much for the rest of it even when it was open......just a faceless and imposing red brick carbuncle, so can't say I'll miss that aspect of it. The new building isn't that imaginative, but hopefully it will brighten up that corner of the town.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02 am

RDR wrote:
pingu wrote:Odeon revamp plan
A CINEMA and former music venue in Glasgow that once hosted performances by The Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix is expected to be bought in a multimillion-pound move that will see it turned into offices.

Most of the old Odeon cinema and Paramount music venue, which opened in 1934, is expected to be sold to two developers for £5 million in the coming days. Mountgrange and Prupim, the firms behind the plan, are expected to convert the art deco building before the end of 2014.

In the 1960s, as the Paramount, it was one of the hottest venues around. Dusty Springfield, Roy Orbison, Gene Pitney and Cliff Richard played there at its peak.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/new-era-beckons-for-odeon-building.18995271

Given the amount of empty office space in the city centre and the problems just letting them, you do wonder if another set of empty offices is what we need?

Yes but it encourages companies out of the old 1970s office blocks into the shiny new ones, whilst the old either get flattened or turned into budget hotels :)
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Dem-Master banner was put up on the listed frontage today, so demolition of the rear should commence sometime next year.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:07 pm

scaryman2u wrote:Dem-Master banner was put up on the listed frontage today, so demolition of the rear should commence sometime next year.

yep, Image by Gap74

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Was at the bus stop across the road the other day and there were some of those red plastic barricades up. Dem master had a van parked just behind them and saw one of those city parking pricks give him a ticket. Honestly, where else are they supposed to park (off on a bit of a tangent but FFS this city just doesn't want anyone going about their job, do they?) And calm..... :)
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/demolition-spells-the-end-for-landmark-city-cinema-116544n.20296151

And another historic building bites the dust.... :(

Saw Bob Dylan there - about 1966 I think?
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:48 am

Yes, but the listed part is remaining - lets face it the rest of the Odeon is a pretty unremarkable crumbling brick box, dare I say to be replaced by yet another unremarkable glass and steel box office building just like the scores of others that have been built farther west......
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Was at the bus stop across the road the other day and there were some of those red plastic barricades up. Dem master had a van parked just behind them and saw one of those city parking pricks give him a ticket. Honestly, where else are they supposed to park (off on a bit of a tangent but FFS this city just doesn't want anyone going about their job, do they?) And calm..... :)

Know what you mean. A number of years ago a mate's firm was doing repair work in George Square, the street was coned off due to a big hole being dug. When my mate arrived to inspect the work he moved some cones for access of his car a traffic warden appeared and told him to move. My mate pointed out the amber flashing light on the roof and the Highway Maintenance sign on the back of the car. The warden pointed to the No Parking sign and told him to move. Needless to say my mate got a ticket. 8O
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed May 01, 2013 10:09 pm

I was down at the demolition site this week to take a few snaps. This one was from the lane at the south of the site and if you click on the flickr link and look at one of the larger versions, you can see what looks like, to the untrained eye, part of a projector reel in the debris?

Demolition pile with reel Odeon Renfield Street by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:31 pm

It certainly looks like a projector reel. Christ! Didn`t they even think of preserving some of the prized artifacts they were still in that building? Just how philistine are they? As for that "proposed" replacement for the block. Truly truly hideous. Another ugly enamel colossis bloating up the town centre.
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Ruchazie Rat wrote:It certainly looks like a projector reel. Christ! Didn`t they even think of preserving some of the prized artifacts they were still in that building? Just how philistine are they? As for that "proposed" replacement for the block. Truly truly hideous. Another ugly enamel colossis bloating up the town centre.

Indeed. And it'll lie empty like the monolith across the road.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Cranes are in, pilling happening.

Image by SZJ

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:42 am

Ruchazie Rat wrote:It certainly looks like a projector reel. Christ! Didn`t they even think of preserving some of the prized artifacts they were still in that building? Just how philistine are they? As for that "proposed" replacement for the block. Truly truly hideous. Another ugly enamel colossis bloating up the town centre.

Why should someone who has no connection to the cinema try and preserve some old/not so old film reels when the people that ran the place didn't care what happened to the entire building.

In the course of working (very hard i might add) on the design of that truly truly hideous colossi I was in the remaining building many times. The lack of any care from the owners was astounding - windows smashed open at high level letting water in. Blocked drains on the flat roofs damaging the fabric, mess strewn all over the internals, corridors thick with mould on floors, walls ceilings. The most prized artifacts remaining in the building would have been that film reel and some old filing cabinets and about 200 dead pigeons and rats, floating around in the basement on an ooze of oil and rainwater.

And well done on managing to ascertain the entire scheme from just one image - have you looked at the rest of the design documents or just that one small picture? Why do you put 'proposed' in quotation marks? What precisely is the problem with the building? And looking again at the image above, it is not even the proposed scheme.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Targer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:53 pm

Thats business the greed for money. The owners have cashed in on property value and went on their way.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development