Statues To Be Removed From George Square

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Statues To Be Removed From George Square

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:28 pm

I'm sure it was longer ago than 5 years?

(Nice to see you back Scott btw)
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Chudleigh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:14 pm

I am entirely in agreement with your sense of outrage and am about to write to the Council to find out the basis on which they intend to relocate at least some of the statues, and by whom the decision will be taken.
Chudleigh
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby InkMan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:59 pm

This is a subject oft hijacked by fundamentalists of differing perspectives who (ab)use faith as a reason to hide behind their rancid bigotry so as someone from 'mixed' (sic) parents my opinions aren't mired in any sectarian perspective.

Even if the powers that be were to sign a legally bending document I would still fear that pesky Cenotaph will be eventually moved too. I can remember two or three occasions - and have been told of a couple more - where obvious feelers have been dripped by certain elements of the GCC friendly press to gauge opinion of a potential move only for it to be quickly stymied.

On another issue is there not a dreadful possibility that the companies with no link to Glasgow, Scotland or the United Kingdom will turn the centre of MY city into a generic, soul less, marketing and advertising revenue prioritised area; overpriced, under used by its citizens and ignored by tourists?

As someone who usually dumps on the Grassy Knollington conspiracy theorists this is embarrassing to suggest but looking back at how this beautiful space has been cared for over the years I truly believe that since that red tarmac was laid this has been the plan all along.

"Hey Chuck; how about a Good Ol sealed bid campaign to see who will pay most to advertise on that stupid old statue with the funny lions cuz ah know they'll be good to us" By that I of course refer to corruption and abuse of system by certain American multi national companies. Nothing else. Of course.

Rant over - apologies

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:25 pm

InkMan wrote:This is a subject oft hijacked by fundamentalists of differing perspectives who (ab)use faith as a reason to hide behind their rancid bigotry so as someone from 'mixed' (sic) parents my opinions aren't mired in any sectarian perspective.

Even if the powers that be were to sign a legally bending document I would still fear that pesky Cenotaph will be eventually moved too. I can remember two or three occasions - and have been told of a couple more - where obvious feelers have been dripped by certain elements of the GCC friendly press to gauge opinion of a potential move only for it to be quickly stymied.

On another issue is there not a dreadful possibility that the companies with no link to Glasgow, Scotland or the United Kingdom will turn the centre of MY city into a generic, soul less, marketing and advertising revenue prioritised area; overpriced, under used by its citizens and ignored by tourists?

As someone who usually dumps on the Grassy Knollington conspiracy theorists this is embarrassing to suggest but looking back at how this beautiful space has been cared for over the years I truly believe that since that red tarmac was laid this has been the plan all along.

"Hey Chuck; how about a Good Ol sealed bid campaign to see who will pay most to advertise on that stupid old statue with the funny lions cuz ah know they'll be good to us" By that I of course refer to corruption and abuse of system by certain American multi national companies. Nothing else. Of course.

Rant over - apologies

Shuggy

I just feel there's so very little of the Glasgow I grew up in left. Everything from Corporation Buses, the locomotive works, to docks and ship building gone along with a lot of beautiful buildings as they ploughed the M8 through the heart of the city. Is there to be no memorial to our heritage? :(
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Anyone fancy starting a "Hands off George Square. Bring back the green grass areas"? Would it not be just the thing if the statues were removed and then got lost and or stolen.Seem to recall parts of a tramcar disappered from safe storage with Glasgow Council.It seems we will have fairgrounds/ craft fairs/ art fairs/ music affairs-classical and rock/maybe car boots and bring and buy stalls in George Square. Or am I being just "too" negative? Maybe there will be no room for the odd protest "gathering" I recall Tommy Sheridan filling most of the Square way back years ago. The lets relocate the "war memorial" is not a particulartly new suggestion.I heard a suggestion 20 odd years ago about moving it to Glasgow Green where there was lots of space for people to gather and pay their respects.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BetterGlasgow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:07 am

moonbeam wrote:Anyone fancy starting a "Hands off George Square. Bring back the green grass areas"? Would it not be just the thing if the statues were removed and then got lost and or stolen.Seem to recall parts of a tramcar disappered from safe storage with Glasgow Council.It seems we will have fairgrounds/ craft fairs/ art fairs/ music affairs-classical and rock/maybe car boots and bring and buy stalls in George Square. Or am I being just "too" negative? Maybe there will be no room for the odd protest "gathering" I recall Tommy Sheridan filling most of the Square way back years ago. The lets relocate the "war memorial" is not a particulartly new suggestion.I heard a suggestion 20 odd years ago about moving it to Glasgow Green where there was lots of space for people to gather and pay their respects.

Martha Wardop has a great piece on how and why to object to the removal of the statues here: http://marthawardrop.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... quare.html

Objections need to be in by this Friday.

This is clearly a retail led development and the "public consultation" little more that a PR exercise. More info here http://www.restoregeorgesquare.com and http://facebook.com/restoregeorgesquare
BetterGlasgow
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Godsgift wrote:
I just feel there's so very little of the Glasgow I grew up in left.

Including so many people, now content to criticise from afar.

Godsgift wrote:
Everything from Corporation Buses, the locomotive works, to docks and ship building gone along with a lot of beautiful buildings as they ploughed the M8 through the heart of the city. Is there to be no memorial to our heritage? :(

Some of the building were beautiful. Others were cold, damp disease-ridden hovels.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:I'm sure it was longer ago than 5 years?

(Nice to see you back Scott btw)

I found it! I found it!

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index ... =3072&st=0

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Squ ... al_history

Nice to hear from you too!
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Could the National Nostalgic Front agree with the Nostalgic national Front to combine these threads.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12125
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 pm

The threads could be temporarily combined. Permanent merging is just one of the options we're looking at. We can all agree that we need to give the members of Hidden Glasgow a George Square thread fit for 2013 and beyond.

The deadline for formal objections is last Thursday.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:01 am

Lucky Poet wrote:The threads could be temporarily combined. Permanent merging is just one of the options we're looking at. We can all agree that we need to give the members of Hidden Glasgow a George Square thread fit for 2013 and beyond.

The likelihood is that we'll remove all the posts and replace them with photos of kittens, shiny things and advertising space sold off to the highest bidder.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 am

Josef wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote:The threads could be temporarily combined. Permanent merging is just one of the options we're looking at. We can all agree that we need to give the members of Hidden Glasgow a George Square thread fit for 2013 and beyond.

The likelihood is that we'll remove all the posts and replace them with photos of kittens, shiny things and advertising space sold off to the highest bidder.

Why do you hate kittens?

:)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 am

The Egg Man wrote:
Godsgift wrote:
I just feel there's so very little of the Glasgow I grew up in left.

Including so many people, now content to criticise from afar.

Godsgift wrote:
Everything from Corporation Buses, the locomotive works, to docks and ship building gone along with a lot of beautiful buildings as they ploughed the M8 through the heart of the city. Is there to be no memorial to our heritage? :(

Some of the building were beautiful. Others were cold, damp disease-ridden hovels.

Here Here - although I'm another one of those pesky ex-pat armchair experts who committed the cardinal sin of moving away, I am one of the progressives - out with the old, in with the new sort of guy. Although as a child of post-Bruce Report Glasgow for whom the image of trams, tenement slums, ship lined river banks and pollution-spewing chimneys everywhere is something I only have seen on photographs - I do occasionally take offence at certain 1960s and 1970s structures being razed for probably the same reason as my more senior contributors look nostagically at the loss of tenements and factories. Whatever your feelings about the post-war regeneration efforts, the truth was things had to change. Whether it was done in the right way or not is another debate.

I agree though with the general consensus that the vandalism of George Square in the late 1990s was a scandal, and that whatever is done with it, it should be turned into a public rather than a commercial space (I thought that's why the council built the SECC complex and the Concert Hall - both of which the cooncil is the majority shareholder on their operating companies). Fountains are a bit bling and me-too, I can almost hear the bottle of Fairy being opened by pranksters as I type.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:38 pm

George Square Redevelopment

Proposed designs for George Square redevelopment go on public display.

George Square Latest News 9/1/13

We would like your views on the six finalised designs for the redevelopment of George Square. These views will be made available to the judging panel, which will select the winning design. The winner will be announced on Friday, 18 January.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GSR2013B

We would like your views on the six finalised designs for the redevelopment of George Square. Designs will also be on display at the:

The Lighthouse
11 Mitchell Lane
Glasgow,
Scotland G1 3NU

Opening Hours
Monday to Saturday
10.30am – 5.00pm
Sunday
12.00pm – 5.00pm

These views will be made available to the Jury, which will select the winning design.

If you would like further information, please contact: [email protected]
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development