Cresswell Lane

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cresswell Lane

Postby scottwramsay » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Does anyone remember a Royal Mail sorting office on Cresswell Lane way back in the day? I work part time in Zizzi at the moment and the renovation was a big design project so it stirs up memories in a lot of the local customers about how it used to look. I love talking to folk about it and so far one person has remembered as far back as this sorting office and one other person has confirmed that there at least used to be some sort of post office there.

My reason for asking is that as part of the exposed back wall we have a horizontal girder above head height (but below the height of the ceiling) which was supposedly the top of the big door that the vans used to drive through to be loaded up. I'm just not sure which part of the block they'd have entered the courtyard from without a bit of a squeeze; Tesco obviously fills a lot of the space in the centre now so I'm assuming there used to be a big space there, and the only potential openings to the back of our restaurant are at either end of Cresswell Lane, walled off now.
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Cresswell Lane

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 am

There was indeed a Post Office sorting office in Cresswell Lane, serving the G12 area (and further afield) it has now been relocated to Broomhill.

The lane hasn't actually changed all that much and the access is still the same today as it was then. If you can spot the Post Box on Byres Road (if it's still there) that's where Byres Road Post Office used to be with the sorting office at the back.

I can't think of the shop that occupies that space but roughly it is two or three up from Tesco (formerly Woolworths).
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development