All Roads for Appalling Glasgow Developments Lead to Gordon

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

All Roads for Appalling Glasgow Developments Lead to Gordon

Postby Pointyears » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 am

Gordon Matheson to be precise. A man utterly unfeeling for the nostalgia for various areas of Glasgow and the destroyer of Paddy's Market: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Matheson

He is Glasgow's new council leader and is to be reviled.
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: All Roads for Appalling Glasgow Developments Lead to Gordon

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Wikipedia

Gordon Matheson is a Scottish Labour Party politician and the leader of Glasgow City Council.
Educated at Glasgow and Strathclyde universities, he was first elected to the city council in 1999. Re-elected in 2003 and 2007, he represents the Anderston/City ward. He served as the council treasurer before being elected leader in May 2010.[1].
He is openly gay; his partner is Stephen Wallace.[1]

Is it for the gay bit or the openly bit that he is to be reviled?

Whom would you prefer to be the leader of the council?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Dex, to be fair to Pointyears, I don't see anything in his/her post to suggest any anti-gay feelings on his/her part.

Would you have alluded to Pointyears being sexist had the post been about someone who happened to be a woman? Racist if black? Bigoted if muslim?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:23 pm

I've printed the whole wikipedia entry for Gordon Mathieson and am wondering why he pointed us there. Certainly nothing to be reviled about. I think the word openly is redundant in these circumstances and wondered if that's what upset Pointyears and if not it leaves us with gay.

There's a whole thread on paddy's if he wants to revive that .
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:51 pm

I don't see the problem with Gordon. He's had a bit of personality by-pass but he works tirelessly for the city and what he believes to be best for his fellow Glaswegians - even if not everyone agrees with him.

If only more Glaswegians were the same.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:15 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I don't see the problem with Gordon. He's had a bit of personality by-pass but he works tirelessly for the city and what he believes to be best for his fellow Glaswegians - even if not everyone agrees with him.

I'd be happy if more Glaswegians got around to working, never mind tirelessly. That isn't intended as a slight on my fellow Glaswegians in general, just the sizeable minority who seem happy to live a wasted life amongst the ranks of the unemployed whilst us mugs fund their homes, the raising of their children, their boozing, etc through their seemingly never-ending raft of benefits. I've never voted Tory but if they manage to sort out the horrendous mess of our benefits system then they might be seriously considered for my vote next time around.

As for Gordon Matheson, I have to admit I don't know a great deal about the man so I'll reserve judgement. Let's face it though, with the job he's going to have to do in terms of implementing deep cuts in jobs and services over the next few years, he's almost in a no-win situation; I think it's highly unlikely his time in office will be remembered fondly by the general Glaswegian public no matter how good an effort he makes of it - folk tend to have a one-sided view when they're losing out in some respect or another.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Wikipedia

Gordon Matheson is a Scottish Labour Party politician and the leader of Glasgow City Council.
Educated at Glasgow and Strathclyde universities, he was first elected to the city council in 1999. Re-elected in 2003 and 2007, he represents the Anderston/City ward. He served as the council treasurer before being elected leader in May 2010.[1].
He is openly gay; his partner is Stephen Wallace.[1]

Is it for the gay bit or the openly bit that he is to be reviled?

Whom would you prefer to be the leader of the council?

I personaly wouldn`t like our council leader to be of a gay persuasion as that leads to them persuing all things gay ( Steven Purcel) and not considering other folks, if we do have to have a gay leader then I would nominate our very own Crusty Bint who seems to have a good outlook on what is good for everyone and not just the gay community,
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:I don't see the problem with Gordon. He's had a bit of personality by-pass but he works tirelessly for the city and what he believes to be best for his fellow Glaswegians - even if not everyone agrees with him.

I'd be happy if more Glaswegians got around to working, never mind tirelessly. That isn't intended as a slight on my fellow Glaswegians in general, just the sizeable minority who seem happy to live a wasted life amongst the ranks of the unemployed whilst us mugs fund their homes, the raising of their children, their boozing, etc through their seemingly never-ending raft of benefits. I've never voted Tory but if they manage to sort out the horrendous mess of our benefits system then they might be seriously considered for my vote next time around.

The Tories are going to cut your pension dick head.

Neil Kinnock ", I warn you. I warn you that you will have pain – when healing and relief depend upon payment. I warn you that you will have ignorance – when talents are untended and wits are wasted, when learning is a privilege and not a right. I warn you that you will have poverty – when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can't pay. I warn you that you will be cold – when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don't notice and the poor can't afford.
I warn you that you must not expect work – when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don't earn, they don't spend. When they don't spend, work dies. I warn you not to go into the streets alone after dark or into the streets in large crowds of protest in the light. I warn you that you will be quiet – when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient. I warn you that you will have defence of a sort – with a risk and at a price that passes all understanding. I warn you that you will be home-bound – when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up. I warn you that you will borrow less – when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income."

Don't you grasp the concept of blaming the poor so as the rich can avoid their responsibilities like paying tax.?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The Tories are going to cut your pension dick head.

That is going to happen no matter who is in government.

BTW, I'm pretty sure it's dickhead, not dick head. The usage really reinforced your point though so congrats.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Don't you grasp the concept of blaming the poor so as the rich can avoid their responsibilities like paying tax.?

I am aware of the Tories' MO so yes, I do grasp the concept.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:04 am

Jesus. "Appalling Glasgow Developments" just about sums this thread up.

Scary : geezabrek. If you're saying that gay politicians are led by their dick, then I'm damn sure that there're ten times as many heterosexuals that are much more vulnerable to that accusation.

Dex : Ta for the Neil Kinnock quote. I'd forgotten that one. But leading in with a knee-jerk abusive comment is as Daily Mail-ish as anything you've taken exception to - presumably on the grounds that you regard it as Daily Mail-ish. - on this thread. Personal abuse is unacceptable.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Can Labour not come up with someone who isn't bent (more than one meaning applicable)?
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Only one of the following has a criminal record:

Steven Purcell

Gordon Matheson

Charlie Endell.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:05 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Only one of the following has a criminal record:

Steven Purcell

Gordon Matheson

Charlie Endell

I wonder if that statement will remain accurate for long :wink:
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Charlie Endell wrote:Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Can Labour not come up with someone who isn't bent (more than one meaning applicable)?

Oh fuck it's Jim Davidson. Where have you been for the last sixty days?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Charlie Endell wrote:Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Oh fuck it's Jim Davidson. Where have you been for the last sixty days?

Big hoose.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development