The Old Dixon Shop at Argyle Street...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Old Dixon Shop at Argyle Street...

Postby floweredpig » Sun May 23, 2010 2:34 pm

It was a Dixons from about 1985 until they were rebranded Currys Digital.

At one time about 1993-94 it was the highest turnover Dixons in the UK outperforming Oxford St with a turnover of about £12million a year before PC World took a lot of business away,then Braehead,Currys at the Forge and then the internet whittled away the turnover.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stunev » Wed May 26, 2010 11:08 am

This shop was the original Argyle Street branch of Woolies, later divided up and trading as Dixons/Currys/Tesco and Benny Hamish tailors upstairs.

As I understand it, even though the shop hadn't traded as Woolies for years, their property division still owned it and when Woolies went bust their property portfolio went to the receiver too, which is why Currys and Tesco closed so quickly.

Currently being refurbished to open as TK Maxx in December.
stunev
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Was it not a John Menzies outlet after Woolies and Before dixons ? if memory serves me right. :?
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed May 26, 2010 8:06 pm

stunev wrote:As I understand it, even though the shop hadn't traded as Woolies for years, their property division still owned it and when Woolies went bust their property portfolio went to the receiver too, which is why Currys and Tesco closed so quickly.

I've got a vague memory of a shock-horror story in the Evening Times, in the days when I used to sometimes read it (so that'll be the eighties, then), regarding the Strathclyde University staff pension fund buying the site for six million quid.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 8cats » Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Mori wrote:Was it not a John Menzies outlet after Woolies and Before dixons ? if memory serves me right. :?

I'd forgotten that was Menzies! It had a basement and I spent my first ever week's wages on a typewriter in there.
8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun May 30, 2010 8:57 pm

tkmaxx

28 May 2010 11:30

GLASGOW SET TO HOST UK'S LARGEST TK MAXX

The UK's largest ever TK Maxx store is set to open its doors on Argyll Street, Glasgow in September 2010 creating 100 new jobs in the area plus an additional 50 temporary positions over the festive season. This new store will feature a staggering 45,000 sq ft/4100 sq metres of famous label fashion over 3 floors, for women, men and kids as well as gifts, accessories, home and toys - all at up to 60% off the RRP.

The TK Maxx concept is simple. TK Maxx buyers shop the world all year round and negotiate great deals to bring customers designer and famous brands at a fraction of normal retail prices. With a modern and stylish, but no frills store environment, further savings can be passed on to customers. A typical TK Maxx store stocks an average 50,000 items with daily deliveries bringing up to 10,000 new items to store every week so customers will always find a constantly fresh and exciting mix of top brands and great quality at the lowest prices, every time they visit.

Commenting on the new Glasgow store Helen Gunter, spokesperson for TK Maxx says:

“We are very excited to be opening up our largest ever store in Glasgow. In addition to the Sauchihall Street store we are bringing even more bargains to Glasgow's shoppers, savings of up to 60% off the RRP on great brands and labels for the entire family under one roof. Bargain hunters and fashionistas are in for a real treat!"
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby chateaudulait » Mon May 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Right thats that mystery solved. Now. Does anyone know whats happening to the building next to it, the old ravel shoe shop :D
chateaudulait
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon May 31, 2010 11:19 pm

chateaudulait wrote:Right thats that mystery solved. Now. Does anyone know whats happening to the building next to it, the old ravel shoe shop :D

One mystery solved, another requiring to be unravelled.

Sorry, I'll get my coat :oops:
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 am

Mori wrote:Was it not a John Menzies outlet after Woolies and Before dixons ? if memory serves me right. :?

John Menzies was in the unit that was latterly Tesco, but not the one that was Dixons/Currys.

IIRC (which is dubious), John Menzies and WH Smith were opposite each other on Argyle St in the mid-80s. At some point they swapped units so that each was in the space the other had occupied before. Then when John Menzies gave up on the retail business WH Smith bought it over and ended up in the same unit they had been in in the first place. Is this right or am I mad?
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rabmania » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:14 am

Rucola wrote:

John Menzies was in the unit that was latterly Tesco, but not the one that was Dixons/Currys.

IIRC (which is dubious), John Menzies and WH Smith were opposite each other on Argyle St in the mid-80s. At some point they swapped units so that each was in the space the other had occupied before. Then when John Menzies gave up on the retail business WH Smith bought it over and ended up in the same unit they had been in in the first place. Is this right or am I mad?

I think you may have something there...
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby chateaudulait » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
chateaudulait wrote:Right thats that mystery solved. Now. Does anyone know whats happening to the building next to it, the old ravel shoe shop :D

One mystery solved, another requiring to be unravelled.

Sorry, I'll get my coat :oops:

Ha no bad :D I passed it today and they have put a frieze up of a pub scene. Maybe a new boozer? 8O
chateaudulait
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby yoker brian » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:45 pm

chateaudulait wrote:Ha no bad :D I passed it today and they have put a frieze up of a pub scene. Maybe a new boozer? 8O

Rumour is it's a new Wetherspoons
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:34 pm

8cats wrote:

I'd forgotten that was Menzies! It had a basement and I spent my first ever week's wages on a typewriter in there.

I got my first typewriter there too. A wee Brother manual for £30. I'd saved up for it and paid in pound coins 8O

It had one of those black/red ribbons.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:03 am

When John Menzies were in in the building there was a restaurant on the first floor the entrance was between Dixons and John Menzies. The restaurant was the old woolies restaurant taken over by Saras restaurant or some thing like that.
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:33 pm

I passed it the other day, looks like is nearly finished.
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development