Broomloan Court (Ibrox) Demolition

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Broomloan Court (Ibrox) Demolition

Postby sean2215 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Drove past tonight and noticed they have started to remove the windows from one of the blocks....
sean2215
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:37 pm

some wee ned just tried to remove my neighbours window with a brick.copletely shattered it,no reason.just done it and scarpered. :twisted:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby roy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:21 pm

looks like it could be this year they come down then :twisted:
roy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:34 pm

UK’s biggest demolition machine set for Glasgow

Published on 12 Apr 2010

The largest demolition machine in the UK is on its way to Glasgow to bring down high flats in Ibrox.

The tallest mobile ultra-high-reach machine will arrive early next week ahead of the demolition of flats in Broomloan Court, which is set to take place soon.

The machine, which stands at 65 metres tall and weighs more than 200 tonnes, will stretch higher than 14 double-decker buses placed on top of each other.

It is being transported by three low-loaders from Birmingham to the Glasgow Housing Association flats, where the three parts to the machine will be assembled.

Three blocks of flats at 5, 17 and 29 Broomloan Court have been earmarked for demolition following an extensive consultation with residents through Clydeview Housing Partnership Local Housing Organisation, which manages homes in the area on behalf of GHA.

In total, 285 flats will be brought down during the demolition, which is expected to last for around nine weeks. Each block is 21 storeys high and contains 95 flats.

A decision was taken by GHA in February 2006 to demolish and clear the three blocks following a decline in demand and high investment and running costs. No final decision has been reached on the future use of the site.

Despite the site being bordered by a rail line, the M8 motorway and roads, there are no plans for road closures or diversions.

Karen Thomas, of Clydeview Housing Partnership LHO, said: “The demolition of the multi-storey blocks marks another step forward in our ongoing regeneration of the East Govan and Ibrox areas.

“The area has already benefited from the demolition of more than 400 tenements, with 600 tenants being rehoused – the vast majority to either improved GHA homes or new-builds.”

Residents have been kept informed of developments through public meetings and news-letters. The tenants who lived in the multi-storeys have been rehoused within Clydeview LHO and neighbouring Mosspark LHO.

Jim Sneddon, GHA’s executive director of regeneration, said: “The demolition of the blocks is a further sign of GHA’s commitment to playing a major part in changing the face of Glasgow and delivering social housing fit for the 21st century.”

GHA has appointed Coleman & Co as contractors for the demolition, a firm it has worked with on many demolitions, including the high-rise flats at Shawbridge Street, Pollokshields.

Paul Mayo, of Coleman & Co, said: “The key objective for this project is to ensure the demolition takes place as safely as possible. The success of projects like this depends on meticulous planning and teamwork.

“The co-operation within the project team has been excellent.”
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Mori wrote:“The area has already benefited from the demolition of more than 400 tenements"

Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:00 pm

::):
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Salka » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:31 pm

About time!
Salka
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby maximusmop » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:04 pm

maximusmop wrote:NEWS FLASH, as i posted the broomloan flats are in the hands of coleman and co, windows in one block are being removed.
as for a demolition date i gleen from the site office that these blocks are NOT being blowndown, and are to be taken down by longreach methods, but coleman is not an easy company to get info out of!!!

guess they where telling me the truth<gona try and find out when they are starting, you still might get some collapse of the tower as they knock em down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RVBkRhdaQo&feature=related

i know it aint a tower block but you get the idea!!!
maximusmop
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby MacaulayDolly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:42 pm

I for one am really sad to see these old ladies go. My family lived up No 5. from 1979 - 1987. During these years we were a family and a real community, we all new each other and more importantly we all looked out for each other. At no other time in my life have i ever encountered such a sense of togetherness, now i couldnt tell you my neighbours, and we live in fear of letting our children loose in the streets. Hazy you are right one day us skyscraper weans will all be a distant memory, but those memories and stories will live on for a lot longer. RIP Broomloan Court. :cry: [size=150][/size]
MacaulayDolly
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby roy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:13 pm

any chance of pictures as the come down?
roy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby maximusmop » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:01 pm

am gona pop down on my day off to gleen a start date, and will post some pictures, have a plan spray an x on the ground in your perfect photo spot and just go back every few days taking picture's and roll them all into a slideshow!!!! :wink:
maximusmop
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:40 pm

maximusmop wrote:
maximusmop wrote:NEWS FLASH, as i posted the broomloan flats are in the hands of coleman and co, windows in one block are being removed.
as for a demolition date i gleen from the site office that these blocks are NOT being blowndown, and are to be taken down by longreach methods, but coleman is not an easy company to get info out of!!!

guess they where telling me the truth<gona try and find out when they are starting, you still might get some collapse of the tower as they knock em down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RVBkRhdaQo&feature=related

i know it aint a tower block but you get the idea!!!

yup a bite down not a blow down job, i can confirm that. Never mind the road and the rail - HUGE petrol tanks at the garage next door - they wont be wanting anything falling.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:24 am

So I had the camera mounted on the tripod and it was staring at the Three Graces:

"Whit're ye daein'?"

Why do people ask stupid questions?

"Taking photographs?" :roll:

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:45 pm

I noticed the Tonka Toys on the way home, but I see you beat me to it with the snaps.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:21 pm

I wonder if this is part of the long-reach tonka toy. It says Coleman on the side and will have come from Brum as the article says.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development