Tesco planning massive new store in Milngavie

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tesco planning massive new store in Milngavie

Postby munroman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:23 pm

The closing date for objections was yesterday, over 730 objections have been received, which hopefully demonstrates how many organisations and individuals find this monstrous store plan wrong for Milngavie.

It will be hard for the councillors to ignore this groundswell of opinion, but we shall see.

Thanks to all from here who objected, it is much appreciated!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jenny Geddes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Good Luck with that Munroman, I like an occassional stroll round the shops in Milngavie.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby munroman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Jenny Geddes wrote:Good Luck with that Munroman, I like an occassional stroll round the shops in Milngavie.

That's what we have been telling Tesco, people like the shops in Milngavie, they won't come specially to see a Tesco Extra surrounded by empty shops and charity shops, so Tesco will lose out too!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jenny Geddes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:00 pm

I like to take a stroll round the local superstore, acting suspiciously, it gives the security guard something to do.

Which reminds me, a few weeks ago I was in a Coop store, a store gaurd grabbed a girl at the door and said "right dear Im detaining you for shoplifting. She made no protest, later standing at the checkout queue the guard comes out with the swag, to value it I presume. The haul was A loaf, a tub of margarine a packet of square sausage and a packet of baby wipes.

Jesus wept.

Sorry munroman, back on topic.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:52 pm

well that wee haul would cost aboot three hunner quid if ye purchased it in the co.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:54 am

Welcome to Tescopoly. As they say. I am just back from Lewes in East Sussex which is a lovely wee town with plenty of nice privately run shops. At the bottom of the town on the other side of the river is Tesco which is so out of charachter it,s hideouis. The towns folk to a person have notices all over the place regarding Tescopoly. They are making a real stand for thier town against this mob and good luck to them.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:58 pm

East Dunbartonshire Council Planning Officials recommending granting permission for the monstrosity in MIlngavie, looks like there will be a bit of a rammy ensuing, and lots of FOI requests!

Document here - http://www.welikemilngavie.org/Planning_report.pdf , a classic Father Ted like statement - surprisingly a small building up a hill can be higher up than a big building lower down the hill ! No shit Sherlock!

The fact that the increase in sales area is greater than the whole Council area needs in one go - just ignore that and hope it will go away!

Magically the already congested roads will fix themselves, despite 550 new houses and a Sports development (on Green Belt land and within a World Heritage Site) being agreed too, by the same Planning Department.

I am so glad our hard earned Council Tax goes towards such World Class officials, we would be in trouble without them!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:18 pm

munroman the house that are getting built. Are they on the old bus site or has the Rugby club sold out.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Right along , the Rugby Club, the Allander Sports Centre - the replacement for which which is meant to be getting built on the old garage site, even though the Council don't have the money, the Driving Range, and all along that wedge beside the railway line will be big houses, without any affordable housing and on a flood plain.

And in return the Rugby Club, Driving range etc are getting punted onto greenbelt land, on a flood plain, so if that doesn't flood then someone else will get worse flooding, within the protected area of the Antonine Wall, which is a World Heritage Site.

Somebody is taking the Michael!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:41 pm

So is that the stretch of Land adjascent to American Golf right along to the Timber Merchants, if it is then that will have a callosule effect on that area. And what about the guest house facing Carse \view have they also sold out.
I smell a new railway station being planted in there.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi, I am not sure about the B&B, but the local community wanted a railway stop with a park and ride facility, but that got in the way of putting more houses in, so was kicked into touch.

If all the meglomaniac plans come to fruition, there will be gridlock in the area, but the Council are turning a Nelsonian eye to the problem, pretending it doesn't exist.

What will result is overdeveloped sites, with no parking and congested streets, reduced Sports facilities, all of which will put off people from visiting the area, a quite spectacular own goal from EDC's point of view.

Already there is insufficient Park and Ride provision for the railway, so the people from the 550 houses will likely not use the train, or will push out people who do at the moment.

Then they plan to destroy Bishopbriggs Town Centre, but that's for another thread!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:47 pm

hazy wrote:I smell a new railway station being planted in there.

I read somewhere that a new station "ALLANDER" was being planned or considered for this area
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:56 pm

No railway station, despite that being much needed, just a ghetto of big fancy chocolate box houses.
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby munroman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:51 pm

East Dunbartonshire Council's Planning Board tonight REJECTED :D the Tesco application, for a number of very good reasons such as its massive size, proximity to a listed building it would have totally dominated, traffic congestion and effect on local shops.

This went completely against the recommendations of the council's Planning Department, 8O , in fact a number of councillors were angered by Tesco refusing to produce a 3d computer or physical model of the proposed store, though in reality that would only have served to show how ridiculously out of proportion this store was and made rejection more likely.

I am sure we haven't heard the last of this, but thanks to all who objected, the huge number of objectors strengthened the Councillor's hands in this matter!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:55 pm

I got a five-pound note yesterday at Glasgow Airport for answering the question "If there were a Tesco Express here, would you use it?"

I was well pleased.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development