Project Updates: Govan Graving Docks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Redondo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:51 pm

Used to frequent the docks in my teens ,round about 90,91 for a spot of underage drinking ,those were the days!!!
I think nearly every teenager in govan used the docks for that purpose.
Redondo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Simba » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:07 pm

What was that derelict building in a previous life? Always wondered as it seems to be the only thing left there.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:30 pm

A view of the docks from 1988, Glasgow Garden Festival Clydesdale Bank tower.
Click for full size photo.
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:33 pm

I notice the Renfrew Ferry being glassed over.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Redondo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:16 pm

Remember some artist used the old docks for a fireworks show circa 92' using old washing machines ,household equipment etc, the reason escapes me, also they filmed rab c nesbitt there as well around that time.
Redondo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby junkcatcher » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:44 pm

Around that 1992 an atempt was made to turn it into a maritime museum and ship restoration centre european grants would have been available but it was quoshed by those who control our destinies.

Interesting thing is when the dry dock was closed it was still turning a reasonable profit, but the would be developers offered a quick buck to the owners.
Andy
junkcatcher
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Project Updates: Govan Graving Docks

Postby Mori » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:29 pm

BBC Video on the future of the Graving Docks Developments.

Mods can this thread be transferd to the Glasgow developments section.

Thanks.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:48 pm

A Stones Throw Away

The Govan Armada

find the armada
Sunday 2 May: Launch of The Armada from the Govan Graving Docks
Friday 16 April - Saturday 1 May: Glasgow Science Centre IMAX reflecting pool
description
An armada of small 'mailboats' containing messages in bottles will be 'anchored' in the Glasgow Science Centre's IMAX reflecting pool and then launched from the Govan Graving Docks on Sunday 2 May.
The Govan Armada will follow the historical model of the St. Kilda mailboats, sent from the island of St. Kilda initially by those in distress and afterwards by tourists at the turn of the last century. Construction of the mailboats will consist of a simple 'boat' structure, a message in a sealed container, and a flotation device. The boats will be made primarily from wood and other detritus floating in the Govan Dry Docks and surrounding Clyde River (redeveloped rubbish).
Initially, the Armada will be constructed by and with the local community in Govan. Armada-building workshops are scheduled at Clydebrae Studio, and with Riverside Community Hall. Construction of the mailboats is open to anyone, and it is possible to bring a boat on 2 May to be part of the Armada and the Launch Party. Contact us for details.
The Armada will be launched from the Govan Dry Docks during a 'Launch Party' on Sunday 2 May which will include a farewell ceremony to the Graving Beacon, opening of the new Govannheim Gallery, and other events. All welcome.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby eyes adrift » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi interesting concept of housing in those images... Guess that was before any 'global economic meltdown' occurred... Maybe a good thing as although some of those proposals look pretty interesting - i like the idea of the ship like building supported above the dock - I'm not sure if 'luxury' flatted developments is really in the best interests of Govan and the community...

There's something truly amazing about the barren wilderness of the site as it is with the remnants of the old docks... would be great to see a huge urban park - a gateway to Govan, here... There would still be room for plenty of housing Anyway...aint no sign of building here yet - some images from a recent trip on this link to my photo website Glasgow architecture and urban photography
eyes adrift
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Grahame » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:02 am

Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:27 am

Grahame

That’s great news love to visit my heritage sites this will be one of them, my grandfather made chain links that you could stand inside of, I have seen one of him inside the link mind you he was barely 5 foot tall!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development