Silverburn and Pollok Civic Realm

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Silverburn and Pollok Civic Realm

Postby theweewan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 pm

dave3009 wrote:
theweewan wrote:yea always has been since day one, and i doubt it will ever change so sorry bout that :( , i almost landed on my backside a few times come in from the rain on that floor.

I hope they paid their insurance, you might 'injure' yourself. This is my primary reason for not visiting the centre any more and I know many more. If Bahrain and Dubai can get the desert to stay put then I'm sure someone can make a floor in the UK safe for pedestrian traffic.

I go to Braehead, same shops, same products, safe to walk about

am insured :) :D
theweewan
Just settling in
Just settling in

I've got the last remaining bit of the clock

Postby jbobscot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:29 am

hi all,

A mate of mine told me about this site and I was amused by the thread aout the old Pollok Centre Clock. The rumours
are true, it did get scrapped. My mum took us every week to the Centre and we sat on the rotten marble effect benches faithfully just to see the wee doors open or hear the chimes at the very least. They never did, but it kept our attention long enough for the folks to run about and get the mesages and come back to find us fed up watching the clock and stealing all the wee pebbles out the rockery thing! it barely worked after the mid 80's. Anyway, my pal managed to 'salvage' a part of it before the lorries came to empty the skips just after the 'new' Tesco was built. I'd love someone to upload a photo of the clock so I can figure out just where this wee figure was on it. it is a wee black dog, like a poodle with a helmet. Trust me if u saw it you'd know it. i used to think it was metal but it isnt, its made of fibreglass. If you remember the old clock you'd remember this. every time I show it to people and ask if they can remember it they all get annoyed cos they do but cant remember where from! If anyone can direct me to a foto or link to a foto of the clock I'd appreciate it. thanks in advance. PS anyone remember the big grizzly bear that got walked around the Centre, or the people from the program 'it ant half hot mum'?
jbobscot
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:13 am

grizzly bears,it aint half hot mum,you better stop smoiking that stuff. 8O
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jbobscot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:42 pm

Thanks for your reply Banjo, it gave me a bit of a giggle. Obviously you are younger than me, not from Pollok when the Centre was built nor lived next to it during the subsequent years. When the new Tesco was opened at Silverburn I saw Justin & Collin the bickering interior designers greeting the customers, whilst at the same time raise money for the Arden Youth Centre which just happened to be part of the show they were about to air pretty much slating everyone.

The same kind of advertising & marketing was used when the original Pollok Centre was opened. If you doubt my sincerity please look at the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_(bear)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Ain't_Half_Hot_Mum

I wouldnt like to imagine how the advertising and ,arketing costs have been for Silverburn but I can tell you this, theres not a better crowd pleaser or attraction than a guy walking around Pollok with a great big grizzly bear on a chain. And I was there on the steps leading up to Tesco cafe watching it. Sheer class.

Like I mentioned on my previous post, if anyone has a photo of the original Pollok Centre Clock I'd appreciate a copy or link to an image.

Many thanks.
jbobscot
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:57 pm

ach jbob.ah was just ripping yer knitting pal,anyway im 48 and pollok seems like a million miles from me here in clydebank.they tore up oor whole toon centre and replaced it with a shopping centre whether we wanted it or not.the only good thing aboot it was a clock in the shape of a pirate ship,a big musical one that reminded you of captain pugwash.it was really good but it broke doon years ago and naebody could be arsed fixing it.its still there gathering dust.i empathise with you really my friend.ive gotrelatives in darnley,pollok ,castlemilk.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri May 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Reference: 09/01059/DC Community Cnl: Levern District
Address: Site Within Green Car Park At Silverburn Shopping Centre 763 Barrhead Road
Glasgow
Proposal: Use of part of park and ride car park as farmers market on Saturdays and Sundays
Date Received: 01.05.2009 Date Valid: 01.05.2009
Applicant
Details: City Markets (Glasgow) LLP
Agent Details: 0141 287 2500
Graham Wallace
130 Blochairn Road Glasgow G21 2DU
Ward: Greater Pollok
Type: Full Planning Permission
Case Officer: Ms S Shaw, 0141 287 6066
Listing: Cons Area:
Map Reference: (E) 253607 (N) 660723
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lynn_x » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Happy days! Primark is coming to Silverburn!

It will be where the bingo is :D

Yip i DO have inside info :wink:
"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not!"
Lynn_x
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:28 pm

8O 8O Pity it wasn't ASDA at Silverburn....could be doing with sincere competition for groceries, as Tesco not being challenged for prices :roll: :roll:
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lynn_x » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Seemingly an asda might be coming to Barrhead 8O

So a taxi driver told me ::):

I hate tesco to be honest :x

And finally there will be somewhere cheap to eat in Silverburn as BK are moving in there!
Dunno why but McD's knocked them back 8O

Maybe they didnt think they would get many customers with the high clientel of Pollok ::): ::):
"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not!"
Lynn_x
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby lordbarneth » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:47 pm

jesus effin christing sakes, burger king. you can argue the rights and wrongs of silverburn but i prefered it to most 'malls' as it had 'restraunts' as opposed to minging fast food places like burger king.
food courts are the devils work and for the short of thinking.
lordbarneth
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scottwramsay » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:28 pm

I can't believe people would be excited about the prospect of a Burger King just because it's cheap. :?
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:38 pm

scottwramsay wrote:I can't believe people would be excited about the prospect of a Burger King just because it's cheap. :?

That's the Sou Side fur ye.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Lynn_x wrote: Happy days! Primark is coming to Silverburn!

It will be where the bingo is :D

Yip i DO have inside info :wink:

yes theres a whole shopping precinct planned for that bit with retailers who were in the old centre apparently getting a chance to move in to it

also there wasnt plans for a McDs in the centre because unfortunately the centres owners and management thought they could maintain the image of the centre being the upmarket place it is.

they had to adapt tbh look at braehead......it may not be everyones favourite but its popular and has the right balance compared to silverburn where they tried to cater for one type of person at the start
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:35 pm

scottwramsay wrote:I can't believe people would be excited about the prospect of a Burger King just because it's cheap. :?

Wiat till Pound Land opens up. It will be a stamped. 8O
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:20 pm

hazy wrote:Wiat till Pound Land opens up.

How much are their batteries?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development