BAE Systems Demolition in Yoker

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

BAE Systems Demolition in Yoker

Postby andyquid » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:41 am

BAE Systems are to demolish the large derelict factory on Esk Street.
Apparently this land will be sold to developers!
Fantastic!
I live next to this monster of a building! I recieved a notice through my door that it is being demolished, have noticed they have started work on it already.
Hopefully some developer will snap it up soon!
Has anyone any knowledge of any pending developement at this site?
Thanks!
andyquid
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: BAE Systems Demolition in Yoker

Postby yoker brian » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:23 pm

There was talk about a Yoker Bypass Road linking South Street and somewhere near Yoker Footy Ground which was to run on the narrow strip of land between the river and Dumbarton Road, but given the level of new houses being flung up on the old power station and down near the ferry I can't see a bypass being built now.

Probably just going to more of the same - new riverside flats / homes.

Also I heard that the Plean Street flats are due for demolition, no fixed date yet though.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:32 pm

yoker brian wrote:Also I heard that the Plean Street flats are due for demolition, no fixed date yet though.

I was looking at them yesterday and it's difficult to tell if they're in the early stages of refurbishment or just falling apart.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby peter » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Drove by today and see they are really tearing the building down. This was a huge building shed that was built to produce GRP warships such as Minehunters. However the workforce at the time had never built ships other than steel so result was they made such an arse of them they never got any more orders. I was fitting out a motor yacht for the guy who ran the BIG pub on the corner of Dyke rd and Dumbarton rd called if I recall The Elderslie. The workies used to barter resin and glass fibre for beer.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:29 pm

andyquid wrote:BAE Systems are to demolish the large derelict factory on Esk Street.
Fantastic!
I live next to this monster of a building! I recieved a notice through my door that it is being demolished, have noticed they have started work on it already.
Thanks!

I heard it was going to be a new sewage works, hopefully it won't be to bad a smell but if they use those new biodigesters i'm glad I not living anywhere near it!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby andyquid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:04 am

cell wrote:
andyquid wrote:BAE Systems are to demolish the large derelict factory on Esk Street.
Fantastic!
Thanks!

I heard it was going to be a new sewage works, hopefully it won't be to bad a smell but if they use those new biodigesters i'm glad I not living anywhere near it!

Yeh very good - i have already spoken to 'the man' and he said it was temporarily being used as a car park until the land value rises and they will be selling it!
andyquid
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby AlanM » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Reenie Bujman wrote:
yoker brian wrote:Also I heard that the Plean Street flats are due for demolition, no fixed date yet though.

I was looking at them yesterday and it's difficult to tell if they're in the early stages of refurbishment or just falling apart.

Plean Street flats are earmarked for demolition - not sure if its a dismantle job or a blow down, or the timescale.

Lincoln Avenue flats are also in line for demolition
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:23 pm

AlanM wrote:
Reenie Bujman wrote:

Plean Street flats are earmarked for demolition - not sure if its a dismantle job or a blow down, or the timescale.

Surely not the lincon flats. Are you sure its not the Kingsway flats.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:27 pm

Blow em all up forfcuksake
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nonniesmummy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:05 pm

I stay directly across the road from this building although I did not get any letters telling me that they were pulling it down.

Apparently it has already been agreed that the land will be sold to the developers of the Glasgow Harbour and the their developement will continue right through to Clydebank. This came second hand from a family friend who is close friends to the councils Head Architect.

Plean Street flats were originally earmarked to come down last march(08) but they atre not completely empty as yet so they could not go ahead with the demolition. The date will be reset as soon as everyone else has been rehoused. 8O 8O 8O 8O
nonniesmummy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby AlanM » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:22 pm

hazy wrote:
AlanM wrote:
Reenie Bujman wrote:

Surely not the lincon flats. Are you sure its not the Kingsway flats.

definitely Lincoln Ave, timescale is 2 years for the first 2 to come down with the others following after that.

The one on the corner of Archerhill Rd and the the one up the hill towards Pikeman Rd are to come down first.

I have no idea if Kingsway is staying or going
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nonniesmummy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:36 pm

All high rise blocks have to come down. originally they were all to be demolished by 2010 but they then decided that this was totally unrealistic and now they are not really giving definitive dates.
They are an eyesore anyway and the sooner they come down the better.
I stayed fifteen up in one of the Lincoln Avenue blocks for two and a half years.
they charge an extorionate level of rent .
I bought my present flat which is about three times the size and i still pay about £100 less with my mortgage than i ever did with rent. :roll: :roll:
nonniesmummy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby candygirl101 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:07 am

Well i for one cannot wait for the Lincoln flats to come down, means they will give me somewhere better to live :). Been living in that place since 2005 and i hate the place! just wish it was my block coming down and not the one directly behind me :( in any case i'll have a great view of it coming down and will be praying mine will come down faster. No offence i am sure many people like them but i dont originally come from glasgow/scotland and i cant even stand that area! Good on the council for finally realising what a s***hole it really is gawd i hate it here. My mate lives up the road from there and his place is so much more quieter, in mine you cannot have an early night or watch the tv in peace i refuse to go back untill there gone! i will go back and jump for joy at the rubble and you never know i may even skip merrily at the thought of getting a good nights sleep at long last.

SO HAPPY JUST WISH THEY WAS ALL COMING DOWN RIGHT NOW :(
candygirl101
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:24 am

I stayed fifteen up in one of the Lincoln Avenue blocks for two and a half years.
they charge an extorionate level of rent .
I bought my present flat which is about three times the size and i still pay about £100 less with my mortgage than i ever did with rent.

Thatcherism in a nutshell. Force the rents up and force people to take out mortgages and we get an economy based on purchasing property.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nonniesmummy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:36 am

You are right of course and now house prices are so high.
I have a daughter who will be two in September and I am at present in a one bedroom house, definitely not big enough now. Unfortunately I can not afford to buy a bigger house even selling the one I am in. :cry:
With all the demolition going on and the new builds going up the price ranges are ridiculously high. They are not building these houses to rent out anymore. :(
nonniesmummy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Glasgow Development