Talk on Glasgow's Holy Wells, 21 January 2009

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Talk on Glasgow's Holy Wells, 21 January 2009

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Talk on 'Holy Wells in Glasgow and Beyond,' by Geoff Holder, Wednesday 21st January 7.30pm.
Theosophical Centre, 17 Queens Crescent (near St Georges Cross Underground Station). All welcome.

Holy Wells are among the most fascinating and wonderful of ritual ancient sites. This extensively illustrated talk will include examples from Glasgow, the Highlands, Stirlingshire, Perthshire and the Lake District.

The history of Holy Wells touches on pagan beliefs, Dark Age saints, witchcraft, post-Reformation persecution, folklore, and miracles and magic - not to mention contemporary ritual practices, both Christian and other.

Geoff Holder is the author of The Guide to Mysterious Glasgow, to be published in February. His previous books include The Guide to Mysterious ... Perthshire/ Iona & Staffa/ Loch Ness & the Inverness Area/ Arran/ Stirlingshire.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Talk on Glasgow's Holy Wells, 21 January 2009

Postby Josef » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:43 pm

You forgot to mention the bloody entry fee.

Still, entertaining talk and they seemed well chuffed with the turnout.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Talk on Glasgow's Holy Wells, 21 January 2009

Postby Grahame » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:56 pm

Aye, and considering I was the one who got Geoff the gig in the first place, I was gutted that I couldn't attend because I'm in Cardiff this week. Hey ho. But by a staggering coincidence, he's going to be in Cardiff on Friday so we're meeting up for lunch. Hurrah! 8)
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Forum Archive