Shadowed Spaces tour July 6 - 15

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby krakow » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:10 am

I was at the Easterhouse event and really enjoyed it. I felt that the musicians did interact with the environment and utilised the space available - look at the more resonant enclosed corridor that Ikuro Takahashi used for his "personal alarms" performance, so that their cumulative sound reverberated and built and echoed about...

There were a couple of security guards at the event, but I didn't see them slap anyone down, merely keep an eye on things and have a quiet word to stop anything getting out of hand. There was a group of local folks who gathered pretty much from the beginning of the event, and there was some amusing piss-taking of Tamio Shiraishi's saxophone playing in particular, but I for one thought that it added to the whole thing - interaction not just with the static surroundings, but with the people who live there every day as well. By the time we'd listened to the drumming and the saxophone and had all moved down to the above mentioned personal alarms section, from what I could see, it seemed like the local kids were getting genuinely interested in what was going on. Barry Esson, who organised the events spoke to them, explaining what the event was about, who the musicians were etc. etc. and there was no more cat-calling or interruptions. There was even a brief rap from one of the Easterhouse guys at the end, at the behest of Barry Esson, since the guy suddenly seemed quite shy.

I'll have some photos soon(ish).
Crimson Glow Photography: http://www.crimsonglow.co.uk/
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jim » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:48 am

Sounds great! I'm glad that the locals managed to get into it as otherwise this would have been another top-down, 'this is good for you' so-called cultural event. And I agree anything that happens in these circumstances become part of the event. Wish I'd been there!

Fuck it I'm going to organise something similar. Any improvising musicians out there up for it?
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:51 am

jim wrote:Sounds great! I'm glad that the locals managed to get into it as otherwise this would have been another top-down, 'this is good for you' so-called cultural event. And I agree anything that happens in these circumstances become part of the event. Wish I'd been there!

Fuck it I'm going to organise something similar. Any improvising musicians out there up for it?

I can improvise but I don't have a cool sounding name.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby cheesemonster » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Were the events recorded?

The idea/location was interesting and the local guy playing the grass was funny! I probably should have hung around or went to the Cumbernauld one but what i heard in the 15 mins while i was there didn't inspire me at all.

What gets me about these sort of experimental musicians is how they seem unable to play their instruments at the best of times!

are your vids online yet johnnyanglia?
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby krakow » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:32 pm

There was at least one person recording at Easterhouse.
Crimson Glow Photography: http://www.crimsonglow.co.uk/
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Forum Archive