Doors Open Day 2004

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sharon » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:10 am

Well I know what I'll be doing next weekend. Theres a few good places open in the SW but one not to be missed is the Edingham Munitions Factory!!

Ahhhhh areason to go doonhame.

http://www.doorsopendays.org.uk/dum.htm
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Closet Classicist » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:02 pm

Having just joined the Hidden Glasgow forums thought I'd put in a plug. I'm conducting one of the Glasgow Doors Open day tours this year. It's been titled Echoes of Empire (though thats not actually what I called it this year but the GBPT people seem to know better!) Basically its going to be walk down Buchanan Street on Sunday the 19th September at 11 am starting by the statue of Donald Dewar and ending on Clyde Street. It's going to involve explanations of buildings en route pointing out the gems such as James Miller's Anchor Line Buildings; things that have been lost such as David Hamilton and Salmon & Gillespie's British Linen Bank on Queens Street and J H Craigie's makeover of Grosvenor Restaurant in Greek Thomson's Grosvenor building (which put Corinthian to shame); things we should care more about such as the Egyptian Halls (please some one rescue it before it joins the list of lost Greek Thomson masterpieces) and finally future developments in particular the Custom House Quay proposal which could have a major impact on the city centre. I did a similar walk last year but from St Enoch Square back up the street and one of the highlights of that included a member of the tour being assaulted by an over enthusiastic motorist who thought taking a short cut down Renfield Lane through a group of 30 people looking at the Daily Record building was a clever idea. Slice of real Glasgow that. It all adds to the experience though! It would be great if some of you could make it!
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:41 pm

Closet Classicist wrote:Having just joined the Hidden Glasgow forums thought I'd put in a plug. I'm conducting one of the Glasgow Doors Open day tours this year. It's been titled Echoes of Empire

Sounds brilliant, CC. Unfortunately your walk clashes with Ray McKenzie's world tour of George Square, which I have a ticket for. Maybe another time.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:22 pm

Just back from the Doors Open visit to the Rex Cinema in Stonehouse - what an amazing place ...
The seats, gas lighting, carpets, curtains, projectors and even the screen are intact and in situ - its barely been touched since it closed in the mid fifties.

For (a lot) more photos - and to find out where i was instructed to 'Strike Knob With Hand', have a look here:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... index.html

Unbelievable - and its not even listed! I feel a letter to Historic Scotland coming on...

G.
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:29 pm

That is an absolute gem Nodrog, i'll bet it has an amazing atmosphere.

Love the fact that the instructions on the extinguisher(as well as the striking of knob) tell you to get near the fire. "i'll just try this extinguisher from the next room...."

JamesMc :D
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:08 pm

Amazing, an absolute gem of a find. ::):
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:04 pm

Great venue- Great pics Nodrog 8)

Will you be saving anything for the nation before the wreckers ball does it's stuff?

I'll gladly recycle the light fittings albeit with new wiring of course.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:06 pm

Well, I am looking into how i can go about helping to get the place listed at the very least!

Failing that, me and gap74 are first in line for those light fittings....

G.
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:15 pm

nodrog wrote:Well, I am looking into how i can go about helping to get the place listed at the very least!

Failing that, me and gap74 are first in line for those light fittings....

G.

Of course I'd rather see it preserved and restored to original working order.

Failling that, keep a place for me at the front of the Q for salvage :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:14 pm

My place of work, the Skypark in Finnieston is one of the buildings open, 10-1 Sat. I didn't think it would be all that exciting(especially for myself as i never seem to be away from the place!) but today i observed as a number of fantastic images of the construction of the original building from 1968 were being hung in the foyer. There are some tremendous aerial views of the whole area surrounding, with the Cranstonhill baths still visible before being demolished to make way for the carpark and the school which has been replaced with the bowling alley. Worth a look if you are interested in that area. If you can't make it, i asked the person in charge if they would email me some of the pictures so i can post them here and she said that it shouldn't be a problem, so look out for that in the next week or so.

JamesMc. :D
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Forum Archive