Meet The Druids

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sharon » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:27 pm

I've just realised i do HAVE to go back to crawl through the gap and protect my future ability to bear children!!!! 8O
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:58 pm

Rousing oration Sharon ...well, I spose its not an oration if its written but Im sure u get what I mean :)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sharon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Aye, it was a grand day out, but my legs are killing me today, which is a worry cos it wasn't exactly a long walk yesterday. Rough, but not long... I need to get into training...

Really, more people should join us!! :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:57 pm

Really really fuffed and knackered...

Next trip more should Join us. :)

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby caine » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:41 pm

is that to tower house in the gorunds of craigmaddie house?
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:53 pm

caine wrote:is that to tower house in the gorunds of craigmaddie house?

:wink:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Grahame » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:25 pm

I would love to have gone on this trip, having failed to find the Auld Wives' Lift on my last trip there (although it was pretty wet and miserable and I didn't feel like tramping around in bogs too much).
But I wondered if anyone has ever been to the old lead mines under the waterfall further along the road? I remember finding them on a bike trip with my best mate when I was about 12 and being hugely excited at finding the cave entrance behind the waterfall. Very Jules Verne, and there were even a few painted 'A.S.' initials with arrows on the walls!
We went back with torches a few times to explore deeper, and the cave quickly becomes a veritable maze of pillars; but I never explored right to the back of them, mainly as the roof is really low (you have to crouch), and they're a bit on the damp side.
I only found out later that they were an old lead mine, but don't know much else about them
But to a 12-year old mind they really did feel like the entrance to the Underworld. :)
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

um...

Postby sheepdug » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:10 am

Whats the actual event...(doh ?) !...

sdug
sheepdug
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby brenmacneil » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:13 am

hello am new on HG

so exactly what was the connection between your walk - I am part of the local pagan community and know quite a few folks around but know nothing of any of you or where yo uwent however if i knew where that was I could ask friends if they know any druidic connections
brenmacneil
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Grahame » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:41 am

Hi Brendan - nice to see you on here! The Auld Wive's Lift is widely reputed in popular fokelore to have been erected by druids, probably because it looks vaguely like a dolmen; but it's more likely to be a natural formation.
See here for a local description.
I'm intrigued by the 90cm circle on the top, mind you...!

If anyone is interested in revisiting this, the West of Scotland Dowsers are having a day trip on Sunday 10 April, planning to visit the AWL, the nearby chamberd cairn remains, and then on to Dumgoyne in the Campsies. Dowse the locations, consider what they are for, investigate the subtle effects of underground running water and energy leys at Dumgoyne (this will involve climbing the bugger though!). Come along and learn to dowse. There will be a small fee for the training - usually about £10-£12 if memory serves.
Anyone interested?
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:49 am

Grahame wrote:But I wondered if anyone has ever been to the old lead mines under the waterfall further along the road? I remember finding them on a bike trip with my best mate when I was about 12 and being hugely excited at finding the cave entrance behind the waterfall. Very Jules Verne, and there were even a few painted 'A.S.' initials with arrows on the walls!
We went back with torches a few times to explore deeper, and the cave quickly becomes a veritable maze of pillars; but I never explored right to the back of them, mainly as the roof is really low (you have to crouch), and they're a bit on the damp side.
I only found out later that they were an old lead mine, but don't know much else about them
But to a 12-year old mind they really did feel like the entrance to the Underworld. :)

I want to go here...it sounds magical. It could be tied into a second visit to the auld wives lifts to crawl through the gap... perhaps once the April showers have passed and the ground has had a chance to dry out a little.

If its anything like last time you'd need waders to go through it!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Grahame » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:47 pm

Sharon wrote:[ perhaps once the April showers have passed and the ground has had a chance to dry out a little.

That would rule out the trip with the dowsers this Sunday then?
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:01 pm

Ah, yes, i guess it does really...

I actually have dowsing rods and have tried them out a few times. Once for the dowsing of teh Molendinar (well, to be honest that was more a playing about and carrying of rods!)... and once to see if I could actually get results with them and much to my suprise... I did!!!

Sounds fun, but i still reckon it'll be a bit wet to do the crawl through bit...
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alchemist » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:26 pm

They 'can' work. Depends what side of the camp your on
though :P Used rods and pendulums, never crystals. For
the moment I just keep an open mind, seeings believing
as they say. I've found the rods to work well enough as
a means of divination, yet cards have far stronger results.
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby anok » Fri May 13, 2005 2:53 pm

in response to graham, i have been inside the linn caves and at the lifts in all weathers and all seasons and it does not dry up at all its always dank and mingin' . next time search out the bunker with the painted white slabs of concrete inside. p.s the caves have a cobble stone wall at the back and the ceiling is held up with acro props!
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Archive