Panopticon

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby My Kitten » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:46 am

Apollo wrote:What went wrong with the HG Early Warning System?

Unless I've missed it, there weren't any posts in here about a significant happening in the Panopticon:

Although still undergoing a restoration programme costing £14 million, the Panopticon Theatre in Glasgow's Trongate held its first production this week after closing in 1938. An audience of 80 were able to step back in time and see "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" in Britain's oldest surviving music hall. Originally the Britannia Music Hall, it opened in 1857 but closed in 1903. Three years later it opened as the Britannia Theatre of Varieties and Panopticon. British-born Stan Laurel first took to the stage there in 1910 and Archie Leach performed as part of a troupe of tumblers - before changing his name to Cary Grant.

Well it goes like this, if you find out about it - post it.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:53 am

'Fraid I only found out about it in a news feed reporting after the event.

I was just a bit surprised that out of an audience of 80, plus whoever's involved in the restoration, there wasn't someone that crossed borders into here.

Must have been a private do anyway, as I was looking in the window at the display around 3 weeks ago, and there wasn't any mention there.

Well, better go and post about tonight Clarkston programme...
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:42 am

Er....oops. Mea culpa. I knew and didn't think to say.

The next event you might like know about is the Christmas Do on 3 December. Two performances from the regulars at 1pm and 2.30pm. If anyone is interested could they email Judith to book places - [email protected] - so they can have an idea of numbers for each performance. Mulled wine and a mince pie on offer :) Dress like you're heading for the North Pole as it's freezing in there that time of year. Be prepared to be separated from your cash, as it's a fundraiser.

Also, the Panopticon is going to have it's own shop. Premises not secured yet. They will be looking for donations of stuff to sell. The theme is "Victorian and bygone eras" encompassing Glasgow, cinema, theatre, entertainment, music, literature and culture. There's going to be a coffee bar too. If anyone has carpentry, plastering or general handyman skills and is willing to volunteer their time to help refit the place when they get it, email Judith at the address above.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Forum Archive