High rise demolition this Sunday?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:01 am

Righty... had a look round Foxbar tonight. At Montrose Rd there are four 15story blocks (Marmion, Heriot, Montrose and Oliphant Courts), three of which have been emptied and prepped for demolition i.e. windows removed, services and ground floors as well as the fifth and tenth floors are covered in protective tarps to contain the blast materia... so it looks as though its happening soon! I'll contact the local authority tomorrow to confirm its on Sunday, failing that I'll ask the police.

The sites a bit tricky as its hemmed in by terraced housing and the remaining block, with a steep hill leading down to a road and a pond. It is nicely overlooked by the car park in the sky tho, so that might be the best place to pitch your tripod.

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby turbozutek » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:37 pm

I taked with a security gaurd at the site the other night.

He wouldn't even confirm something was happening on Sunday, let alone what time.

Miserable git.

So.. Any more on this anyone ?? Still wanna come watch from mine ?

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:05 pm

What time you got in mind. 11ish?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:18 pm

Aye, that's fine.. The first person arriving at my house has the unique honour of waking me up!! :-))

Thing is though - we really need to find out WHEN these things are coming down!! Could be a job for ta da!! LOCAL POLICE!!

I'll get a man on it right now...

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dbfriends » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:28 pm

Hey, first time poster! Hello there and all that. Sorry for the random appearance, but I read something, and thought "ooh I know about that" so reckoned it'd be worth a quick post...

For my sins I spent six months working for the Paisley Daily Depress..erm, Express, earlier this year and I can guarantee this thing will be spectacular, if only 'cos the chances are there'll still be a couple of neds inside when they're blown up (they're normally in there trying to set fire to anything and everything, I had to go out and cover it one day... not fun).

Anyways, according to my former paper (see this story) 11am is the time you need to know. They're saying there's gonna be an exclusion zone, so watch out for that, but as you say the Car Park in the Sky would prolly offer a good view. For those of you who know nothing about Paisley, here's some handy directions... from the dual carriageway which runs right through the centre you want to turn left down the B775 Maxwellton Road, then follow it onto Lounsdale Road. To confuse you further, this becomes Brediland Road a bit further down. You want to turn left onto Amochrie Way a fair bit down, this road kinda doubles back before turning right and becoming Amochrie Road.

Lock your doors around here.

Straight along until you see Waverley Road - turn right into it and it'll eventually sweep round into Montrose Road - then you're there. Lucky old you. Of course, how close you'll get is doubtful, but it's worth a shot.

And, as I say, I don't work there any more :)

For those of you for whom my directions are, erm, rubbish, here's a map.

Edit: 'cos my first post had links so long they cocked up the page. Sorry.
dbfriends
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby james73 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:42 pm

So where's this 'car park in the sky?' Sounds like this is the place to go. If
youse see someone on a shitty sliver and red "suspension" mountain bike
it'll be me. :)

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dbfriends » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:48 pm

Car park in the sky's up Gleniffer Road, if memory serves, up on the Braes? Never been meself but it's meant to be quite good. Might head up if I get up early tomorrow (not likely, to be honest)

It's around here somewhere I think? I'm sure if you go up Sergeantlaw Road you get to it.

I may only know this 'cos I covered a murder case when someone was killed around there. Lovely.

And I'm sure Esk Drive's fantastic, Mr Zutek :) Can't say I know which one that is exactly!!
dbfriends
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby turbozutek » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:17 pm

Well kids, I'm afraid I was so tired today that I slept through the whole thing!!!

Did I BOLLOX.

Here's the Pix:

The first sign of activity is a helicopter dropping a flare...

Then...

BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!! The ground shook slightly.

Awesome!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:56 pm

awespme indeed
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:57 pm

That looked amazing!!! Wish i hadn't been so tired that i slept through the entire thing.

So, extra thanks for some great photos :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dbfriends » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:57 pm

Fantastic pix! Bet the folk in Oliphant (is that the one that's left? I forget) were chuffed... they'll be cleaning up dust for the next month :)

I may have slept too late to get there meself... but impressive stuff, it looked like. Bet it'll look very odd after the dust clears tho... I mean there's now just going to be one of the pig-ugly things blighting the skyline surely?!
dbfriends
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby turbozutek » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:08 pm

dbfriends wrote:Fantastic pix! Bet the folk in Oliphant (is that the one that's left? I forget) were chuffed... they'll be cleaning up dust for the next month :)

I may have slept too late to get there meself... but impressive stuff, it looked like. Bet it'll look very odd after the dust clears tho... I mean there's now just going to be one of the pig-ugly things blighting the skyline surely?!

Sod that, half an hour back into my house and the first dust wave hit... Time to get the pledge out... And figure out how to work the stuff!! Cleaning ?? Eh ?

Yeah, there is one block left - I'm not sure why ?? I can only think that maybe that block is mostly owner-occupied ?? Maybe they couldn't compulsary purchase that many houses ??

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dbfriends » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:16 pm

I did a story on it at the time. From memory, a housing association had bought that block from the council, meaning that - obviously - the council couldn't demolish it. As you say I think it's pretty full so guess there's not much reason to anyway, from memory the council had been running down the other three, people moved out and weren't replaced gradually, then CP whoever had actually chosen to buy their flat there, for whatever reason?

At least it means the fire brigade won't have to sprint up 13 flights of stairs any more :)
dbfriends
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:23 pm

8) TZ

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby escotregen » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:36 pm

turbo, a really superb series of a really - really- once in a lifetime set of shots.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Archive