The Glasgow Show 2007 28-29th July

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Glasgow Show 2007 28-29th July

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:38 pm

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/theglasgowshow2007.htm

This year's Glasgow Show takes place on the weekend 28th - 29th July at Glasgow Green.
Featuring acts and attractions from around the world, a fun day out is guaranteed for all the family.

ET

It's show time

DAREDEVIL skydivers and motorbike riders, spectacular acrobats and Wild West horse riders will thrill the crowds at this year's Glasgow Show.

Organisers aim to smash last year's record of 60,000 visitors to the dazzling two-day event.

A cross between a carnival, music festival and agricultural show, there will be something for everyone at the extravaganza on July 28 and 29.

As visitors stroll around Glasgow Green they will come face to face with birds of prey, an 8ft-tall walking robot and a 50ft-long inflatable sperm whale - which allows the brave into his belly to witness a stunning seascape.

advertisementThe Drifters and the American Four Tops will top the music bill at the show.

They will be joined at the open-air party on Glasgow green by Take That and Abba tribute bands, and Tom Jones and Elvis impersonators.
Last edited by Mori on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:29 pm

Cheers Mori, you answered my question in the archived thread from earlier today.

cheesylion wrote:Is there a Pageant and Show this year?

Haven't seen anything advertised anywhere.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Glasgow Show 2007 - this weekend

Postby pclimie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:11 pm

pclimie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby red_kola » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:06 pm

What an appalling event. How Land Services have the cheek to charge for it I do not know. Seemed very poorly attended this year too.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:14 pm

RK, we were going tmorra, were you there today ? Why was it appalling ? From the write up we thought it looked a really good place to go. No ?
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:55 pm

elgee wrote:RK, we were going tmorra, were you there today ? Why was it appalling ? From the write up we thought it looked a really good place to go. No ?

Och it just seemed pointless. It's probably just me...

I don't like it when they herris fence off the Green and charge you to get in. If you'd wanted to go to the Peoples Palace or kids playground today you wouldn't have been able to without paying.

The lack of crowd highlighted the vastness of the space but I'm sure there was more stuff to do last year. The main arena was busier and if you like the kind of stuff you get at military tattoos you'd enjoy it. I don't, but the other stages just seemed to involve bad local radio DJs shouting through huge PA systems at handfuls of disinterested people.

The bouncy castles, et al were good but I've been to GCC events when these have not incurred an additional charge - they certainly used to be free at Maydaze (before that was cancelled).

Compared to the Mela, which was a superb event with a really good vibe or Pollok Family Day, which is always a great day out, it just seemed purposeless, disjointed and above all had nothing unique or inherently 'Glasgow' about it, which given the event name seems like a fundamentally odd omission.

I won't be going back next year unless the format is changed substantially.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:39 pm

See you there, Elgee.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Glasgow Show 2007

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Sorry you didn't enjoy it RK.

I am sure there are a lot of people who took their families found something they liked.

I do take your point about the format. Maybe it is just that this has worked in the past and has grown year on year. Maybe attendance was down this year but the weather may have been a cause of people deciding not to go to the park as it looked as if it was going to rain most of today. Possibly if the weather is better tomorrow more people will go to the Green for a family day out.

Here are some of my photos early in the morning when it was less busy.

Pollok Country Park Heavy Horse Display opened the Show

Just John & Paul are fist to perform at the Music Arena

Assortment of photos

The bikes of the White Helmets

Wild West

The Drakes of Hazard

Falcons

Flowers

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Show 2007

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:24 am

Alex Glass wrote:Just John & Paul are fist to perform at the Music Arena

Wow, Alex, hope that they are on again today.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:02 pm

we were going to go but I see a problem paying £3 to something I already pay for! As for the peoples palace being closed off I was dismayed.

We walked along the fencing and had a peek to see if it was worth a group of us shelling out our beer money for and decided it wasnt worth the bother. There hardly seemed anyone there given the publicity/relatively good weather. Im holding off for the Pollok day which is much better (and free!!!)

Ended up spending my money in West, without the sounds of fake Tom Jones or Elvis in the background.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:18 pm

We went to the show on Saturday. The Signals' display was outstanding, but the rest was diabolical and actually, I feel insulted that this is the best that Glasgow has to offer.

Ive been to better garden fetes. Even The Meadows Festival in Edinburgh is miles better pardon the pun.

Why have a music stage full of dire " tribute acts " - If the Council cant get decent acts, then why not encourage local Glaswegian bands to take the stage?

Burger n chip vans as well for catering. Ahh yes we are the sickman of Europe and encouraged by the decision makers too.
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:26 am

Guess I was wrong then:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/di ... 76.0.0.php

Emma Wilson must be a PRs wet dream. All the key messages effortlessly delivered in a mere 24 words.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Neil Scott » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 am

There was hardly anybody there when I went on Sunday. Even Fake That could only draw about 50 people. Why aren't these things advertised? I suppose they are reluctant to do any flyposting given it is organised by the council.

Highlights for me were Drakes of Hazard (Sheep dog and geese) and the stunt motorcyclist who read the paper whilst driving backwards. Agree that a few Glasgow bands should have been given a chance.

Photos here: http://flickr.com/photos/noblesavage_info
Neil Scott
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby John » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:38 am

Hi Neil and welcome to HG. I see that you are a GTD fan. I have been using the addin for Outlook for some time and it works rather well.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:01 pm

marginalwalker wrote:Burger n chip vans as well for catering. Ahh yes we are the sickman of Europe and encouraged by the decision makers too.

There were some nice food stalls - I was tempted by a veggie one (but decided it was too warm for soup), and the curry tent smelt amazing. There were noodles as well. I bought a pineapple for a pound, and was sooo proud of having avoided the many fudge stalls!

I took some pictures, will try and remember to upload them later.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Forum Archive