Borders

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Borders

Postby kirkyguy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Borders bookshop the latest casualty of the credit crunch i like this shop as well rubbish eh
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Borders

Postby Dot » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Yes I like them too but we never had them over here.

I think the first one I went to was in Manchester but went to Glasgow one in the summer.
Went to one in the States last year.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:01 pm

I have to be honest, at the risk of upsetting Lynnski of this parish (and perhaps a few others) and say that I was never a huge fan.

It never seemed to be anything in particular - neither a bookshop nor a gift shop nor a cafe nor a music shop nor.... but you get the idea.

What it was though, was handy. So I bought stuff in there every now and again.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:11 pm

I liked Borders. It was the one place I could buy my "specialty" imported magazines, and leisurely browse for books late of an evening - which I would then buy cheaper on Amazon.
dazza
-
-

Postby kirkyguy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:11 pm

The last time i was in i found Piers Anthony on a pale horse i forgot all about this book and spent the afternoon in there which was good....plenty of tottie in there as well 8)
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:24 pm

dazzababes wrote: and leisurely browse for books late of an evening - which I would then buy cheaper on Amazon.

thats it really, not a bad shop to browse but buy it cheaper elsewhere.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Good for its gimicks in its day, obviously the net was to take over as it has a lot of things, it will be missed by many that frequented the establishment, like dazza says, many browsed but bought from Amazon and play.com was its demise, i'm surprised its lasted this long.

Borders put out of business the likes of Smiths, Porteous who were there for many decades before,big fish eat the little fish.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:39 am

Was in there yesterday. Can't say the staff looked particularly depressed, as might have been expected considering the circumstances. Remarkably upbeat and cheerful on the whole, I thought, although perhaps they were just putting a brave face on things. In terms of simple atmosphere I've always preferred Borders to Waterstone's. But I don't buy a lot of new books now anyway and I've never been a big fan of bookstore chains in general. For browsing pleasure nothing beats a good oldfashioned secondhand bookshop as far as I'm concerned.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:16 am

i liked going in for a look around as it was quite a nice shop, but too expensive to actually buy anything out of it.
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Another shop for the 'lost record shops of Glasgow' thread...
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:39 pm

I was in at lunchtime today and it was very busy. Got a few bargains. 20% of everything (i think) this weekend.
I always prefered Borders to Waterstones as well, better selection, brighter shop, more helpful staff from my experience etc etc.

I'm surprised they lasted so long as well with Amazon quite often selling things at half the price.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:05 pm

They were playing the 'Myrmidons of Melodrama' CD earlier. I didn't want to leave.
dazza
-
-

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:53 pm

they were playing mind-numbing xmas songs, followed by the equally mind-numbing black eyed peas when I was in.
I couldn't wait to get out.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:01 pm

I like the Borders in Glasgow as it's a nice store and is open til late which is very handy for a browse.
I noticed recently that it was in a Guardian review on the 10 best bookshops in the world
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/ja ... kbookshops

But like everyone else it seems, I hardly buy anything.

Clearly a casualty of discounted books from amazon and online, but I'm not sure I have much sympathy though. As a large chain they surely have the power to sell books with at least some sort of discount? The vast majority of things in there are sold at publishers price - which are often too high to justify these days (anybody else think 8 pounds is steep for a paperback?)
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:10 pm

cheesemonster wrote: followed by the equally mind-numbing black eyed peas when I was in.
I couldn't wait to get out.

How very dare you! the BEP are excellenty. Wonderful videos too.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions