sue them senseless

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

sue them senseless

Postby My Kitten » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:06 pm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Somerfield-Tragedy-Harry-Blackmore-Killed-After-Bumping-His-Head-In-Store-In-Toxteth-Liverpool/Article/200909415386459?f=rss

A four-year-old boy has died after falling and bumping his head in a Somerfield supermarket.

Harry Blackmore was knocked unconscious after falling from a railing at the store

Harry Blackmore was swinging on a small steel rail when he fell in the store in Liverpool.

His devastated mother was shopping just yards away when the tragedy happened.

Harry was taken to hospital but died at the end of a 10-day bedside vigil by his parents Suzanne Bond and Stephen Blackmore.

The distraught parents, who have four daughters, are now suing the supermarket giant for negligence.

Sad to see the loss of a young life, but for goodness sake suing the supermarket?

Obv we dont know the whole story however, the amount of kids running riot around supermarkets etc amazes me. Don't parents nowadays know "the stare"? the stare that means your hind end is getting a walloping when you get home.

I had two run into my trolley yesterday, no sign of a parent

*sigh*
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: sue them senseless

Postby tobester » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Sadly its never the parents fault...i had the usual chav brat running up and down the train, if i say anything, i get reported, put on a stage (warning - if im lucky), or sacked, they get vouchers.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotty » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:39 pm

My better half works in Tesco, and said its very common to see kids left to run riot in the toy isle as if its some sort of creche / play area!

Very sad to see the loss of life at such a young age though, it's horrible when accidents like that happen, I mean you wouldn't expect a fall from a low height rail to be fatal. There are far more dangerous things kids do that we don't really worry about. I mean by rights none of us who owned a bike or skateboard and grew up in 80s and 90s should be here - I don't remember anyone ever wearing protective headgear.

I don't think they should sue the supermarket, there's a limit to how safe you can make the world before you go OTT with rules and regulations (Elf and saftey mob take note!)
Scott
scotty
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby nuttytigger » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:48 pm

tobester wrote:Sadly its never the parents fault...i had the usual chav brat running up and down the train, if i say anything, i get reported, put on a stage (warning - if im lucky), or sacked, they get vouchers.

i was on the larky train on sunday and some wee scrotes decided to set off a stink bomb right beside us, tip2tail grassed them in to the ticket inspector and they were chucked off at hamilton central.

also, if i was swinging on a rail in a supermarket i would get my arse tanned, no matter what my age.
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm

I'm old enough to remember when people in the UK liked to point and laugh at the USA for its litigious ridicularity*. Not any more. I here there's somebody up north suing Network Rail for not having gates on the level crossing she drove her car onto immediately before getting banjoed by a train. Hmm, let me think... she could always have not driven on while the fecking lights were flashing!

It's idiocy like this that means our once-proud bags of roasted peanuts have advisory notes, warning that they contain nuts.

*Yes that is a real word. Now go away.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby lus22 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Obv we dont know the whole story however, the amount of kids running riot around supermarkets etc amazes me. Don't parents nowadays know "the stare"? the stare that means your hind end is getting a walloping when you get home.

I had two run into my trolley yesterday, no sign of a parent

*sigh*

In agreement with the above posts...a shame about the child but parents should keep a hold of their children wherever they are....blame the parents not the fricking supermarket.

Just about 2 weeks ago in my parents shop we got delivery of a Lotto retail stand thing...(not that I remotely care for the Lotto). And in comes some mother with her 3/4 yr old boy and proceeding to grab a pen and scribble over the brand new stand. Now I was angry as if she'd kept her child by her side this wouldn't have happened and I let it go aside from the fact that I had to clean it and nor did she say anything to him.
Then just this week in come the mother and son again...she traipses through towards the back off the shop...the boy laggin behind starts to "help himself to the pick n mix" right by the lotto stand....and when I politely told him that "You can't do that"...he turned away and headed to his mum at the back [who had heard me telling him-yet she never reprimanded him or apologised].....only thing was he walked into the stand [which is all new fangled and at funny levels] and bumped his head slightly....now I'd call this Karma...and I must admit although I didn't laugh out loudly I was secretly pleased within myself...But here's what pisses me off is that he hardly hurt himself and his dumb mum starts oohing and ahhing over him and so he cried louder.

And I used to get "the stare"...I'm only 26...am not a kid-hater or anything....but it never did me any harm...nor did a good slap. At least it taught me to think twice!!Sue the supermarkets?what a joke!

His mum probably thought I pushed him into the stand or smacked him one ...never thought about the fact that she might come back in and sue me..thank fuck for CCTV and that the staff we employ saw the incident alongside me...
lus22
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:52 am

Lucky Poet wrote:It's idiocy like this that means our once-proud bags of roasted peanuts have advisory notes, warning that they contain nuts.

Quite; the advisory note should be on the inside, warning of nuts on the outside.

scotty wrote:I mean by rights none of us who owned a bike or skateboard...

...or chemistry set. ;)

lus22 wrote:I used to get "the stare"...I'm only 26...

Aha! I'm not of the last generation who understands. There is hope yet. :)

Lucky Poet wrote:ridicularity*

From afar: "It's not in the dictionary."
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:09 am

BrigitDoon wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote:It's idiocy like this that means our once-proud bags of roasted peanuts have advisory notes, warning that they contain nuts.

Quite; the advisory note should be on the inside, warning of nuts on the outside.

.. which set me pondering as to whether we shouldn't have a 'may contain nuts' warning on the HG main page. Not that anyone ever reads that, of course.... :wink:

BrigitDoon wrote:

From afar: "It's not in the dictionary."

Depends what dictionary you use. You're just getting on a bit, B. :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:26 am

Chambers, m'lud.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:03 pm

It's not a proper real word though is it? More a sort of a sort of mongrel, bastard, made up, half real word, like my own pet hate "disrespecting".

On the subject of dictionaries may I respectfully refer you to the Concise Oxford version, June 1911 edition. It's a leather bound gentlemen's club for the pocket. Random definition; familiarity; close intercourse with person or some object, amorous intimacy, treating of inferiors or superiors as equals. Fab. :wink:
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:29 pm

I like it when kids are running feral in supermarkets its a great way to replay Death Race 2000 when i'm bored out my mind shopping with the wife.Is there any better joy than have some wee arsehole bounce of the front of your trolley and then have their idiot parent either apologise or pull you up? either way your onto a winner .Its getting harder now mind as all the wee insignias painted on my trolley give the game away now and they stay away from me :wink:
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:38 pm

flyman wrote:I like it when kids are running feral in supermarkets its a great way to replay Death Race 2000 when i'm bored out my mind shopping with the wife.Is there any better joy than have some wee arsehole bounce of the front of your trolley and then have their idiot parent either apologise or pull you up? either way your onto a winner .Its getting harder now mind as all the wee insignias painted on my trolley give the game away now and they stay away from me :wink:

I have a mental image of you running thru ASDA chasing all the weans and them bouncing along the aisla after they've bounced off the front of your trolley and you laughing evilly!!!

how bored am i :)
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:50 pm

flyman wrote:Its getting harder now mind as all the wee insignias painted on my trolley give the game away now and they stay away from me :wink:

So it's not the leather helmet and goggles, then, Biggles?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:59 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:
flyman wrote:Its getting harder now mind as all the wee insignias painted on my trolley give the game away now and they stay away from me :wink:

So it's not the leather helmet and goggles, then, Biggles?

ah i keep that ensemble for the bedroom Brigit!! :wink: seriously though we live in a culture that actively encourages people to try and make a few quid out of misfortune.All those ads on tv fronted by dodgy ex soap stars urging you to make a claim if you think you have been wronged no win no fee.Mental :roll: Btw big John the security man in Tesco Springburn usually keeps my trolley aside for me coming in i'm known instore as the Red Baron mmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions