Am I the only one?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Am I the only one?

Postby Dot » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Have been asked by relatives to join Facebook and download Skype.

I don't think I particularly want my photos on Facebook and anyway I don't really take any on a regular basis.

As far as Skype is concerned I thought it was more for people who made a lot of calls and perhaps long distance ones. You will have to forgive my lack of knowledge on these things.
My mobile is a contract phone for a tenner a month with 300 texts and 300 mins.
I doubt I have ever used my entire quota for either and I don't ring anyone outside of the UK.

Anybody care to tell me what advantages or benefits I would get from these things if any or am I not the only one
who hasn't signed up. Expect I sound like a boring old fart but if anyone cares to comment I'd be happy to hear from them.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Am I the only one?

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Don't bother with Skype. Recent versions of MSN and Yahoo offer the same service (free internet calls). Don't be fooled by the nonsense, I talk regularly to my extended family in Texas and i have never parted with a penny through MSN, Yahoo or Skype
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm on Facebook with one of my aliases. Facebook is subject to California Law which does not necessarily respect our principles of data protection. If you don't like the look of it, don't use it.

If your friends want to keep in touch, they can still send a postcard.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:24 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:I'm on Facebook with one of my aliases. Facebook is subject to California Law which does not necessarily respect our principles of data protection. If you don't like the look of it, don't use it.

If your friends want to keep in touch, they can still send a postcard.

Postcards BD. I remember my mum talking about them. Just remind us what you do with them again. ::): ::):
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:55 am

Never been on Facebook and I don't know what Skype is.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:14 am

I've found facebook to be excellent. Like a lot of people I am bit lazy when it comes to keeping in touch, and facebook sorts that out. Post some pictures of what you have been up to, keep up with what else your friends have been up to (on tour, weddings whatever). All good stuff.

Skype, tend to agree. I find it most use for calling or travelling internationally and of course of most use if the person you are calling is also using Skype. Skype to skype is free and the call quality is far superior to most international telephone lines. If you are calling somebody from skype to their regular phone, you pay the local call rate for that country, which is still better than standard international rates. Skype is also pretty good if you want to phone the UK while travelling abroad, and especially to avoid paying hotel phone rates.
Sometimes you can get a better deal to call phone to phone e.g. I use use Tiscalli to call Australia free, from my regular phone.If most of your calls are local then I would say skype is probably not worth it.

As an aside I tried Skype-In for a while back when it launched and it was flat out useless. It would connect a call at best, 25% of the time. That was a few years back, so it might have improved since then.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:20 am

hazy wrote:Postcards BD. I remember my mum talking about them. Just remind us what you do with them again. ::): ::):

I think you need to tap into a government system to use postcards. The same sytem they use you to send you tax bills, you know electricity tax, tv tax, bank tax etc etc.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:47 am

I am bebo but gradually moving over to Facebook, think its better to use.
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:24 am

I'm on a million and one social networking sites because friends have persuaded me but I regularly use none of them.

Facebook is by far the worst imo, everytime I log in i'm bombarbed with invites to groups, quizzes, games and people send you virtual items and you need to reciprocate lest they fall out with you. If however you love wasting time playing games and challenging your friends to whether they know the ins and outs of former soap stars then you'll love it.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:39 am

I just ignore them all, on Facebook it used to come up as soon as i signed in but now they come up at the side and i just ignore them.

i like the wee chat application as i can chat with friends that dont have msn or yahoo.
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:44 am

Mates that don't have what now?

MSN, Yahoo et al chat clients are all compatible with one another so you shouldn't need a webbased application to overcome instant online chat. I use Facebook, I think my friends extend to a few mates and my family so it's there only for show. I do get the odd request from people I went to school with, my theory is I spent the last 20 years not bothering with them so why would I want them involved in any part of my future ::):
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:51 am

i do know a lot of people that dont have msn etc as they can only access the internet on their mobiles etc. the chat doesnt work then but you can still comment
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:53 am

On a telephone you say, the internet?? Oh dear kids these days...fancy gadgets....I'm off to milk cows
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:54 am

::): i have bbc iplayer on my mobile!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:54 am

But do you know how chicken is made?
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions