Postby Doorstop » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:10 am

Speak for yersel. ;)
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Am I the only one?

Postby dimairt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:52 pm

A BBC report today on the funeral in North Korea made much of the fact that the crowd were being filmed and photographed, implying that those not "upset" enough would be hearing from the North Korean secret police. All true, I'm sure.
However, I was on the anti-cuts march in Glasgow a few weeks ago - it was being filmed and photographed by our boys in blue but I'm not aware of any mention of this on the BBC or in any papers.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:48 pm

dimairt wrote:A BBC report today on the funeral in North Korea made much of the fact that the crowd were being filmed and photographed, implying that those not "upset" enough would be hearing from the North Korean secret police. All true, I'm sure.
However, I was on the anti-cuts march in Glasgow a few weeks ago - it was being filmed and photographed by our boys in blue but I'm not aware of any mention of this on the BBC or in any papers.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Being going on for years.
I remember being filmed in the 70's on a protest match and a few seasons ago being filmed, up in Aberdeen on entry to a football match.
What they do with the footage, who knows.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:53 pm

I think I must be in a minority as I heard this song the other day and still have no clue as to what it's about.
After a brief look on Google all I know is that it may be about a Bollywood singer called Asha Bhosle
who made records in the past. Think this explains the mention of 45 in the lyrics.

In case you are wondering the song is 'Brimful of Asha' by Cornershop.
I imagine that Dexter, Groover or HJ may know.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Dot wrote:I think I must be in a minority as I heard this song the other day and still have no clue as to what it's about.
After a brief look on Google all I know is that it may be about a Bollywood singer called Asha Bhosle
who made records in the past. Think this explains the mention of 45 in the lyrics.

HAHAHAHAHA :D
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Dot wrote:I think I must be in a minority as I heard this song the other day and still have no clue as to what it's about.

Also, I'm reliably informed, an utterance of contemptuous disgust made by darts players when scoring 45 (two twenties and a 5 when going for the 180) in a game of darts.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:11 pm

I asked Felonious

To understand the song, one must understand the Indian movie industry. Ever since cinema was introduced to India, most commercial movies have been heavy, sweet, musical productions. The song-and-dance interludes are not incidentals, but staples, and often are what make or break a movie. The singing is almost always done by background singers. The background singers, of course, are not required to possess charisma or looks, and in fact in early times, care was taken to not expose them in the media, to preserve the romantic association with their voices in the minds of the moviegoing public.

Right from the beginning, movies took over the hearts and lives of common Indians in a manner that nothing has done before or since. The happiness, the tragedy, the passionate and tender love, and the conflict are all designed to speak to the melodrama-loving Indian heart. The heart of the Hindi film industry in Bombay, nicknamed Bollywood, eventually became a force larger than the one it was named after. The songs are no exception, and over the last sixty years or so filmi music, as it is called, has become by far the most popular kind in India.

Two female background singers perhaps distinguish themselves from the rest in sheer prolificness and popularity: sisters Asha Bhonsle and Lata Mangeshkar, Their singing formed the emotional soundtrack of India, as it were, for many years.

That, in essence, is what "Brimful of Asha" is all about.

Here are the lyrics, with notes:

There's dancing behind movie scenes,
Behind those movie screens - saddi rani.

Saddi rani - "our queen", in Punjabi.

She's the one that keeps the dream alive,
From the morning, past the evening, till the end of the light.

Brimful of Asha on the forty-five.
Well, it's a brimful of Asha on the forty-five. (x2)

'Asha' is a pun. It refers to Asha Bhonsle, but the word also means "hope". What does "hope" signify in this context? The movies and songs are in many ways a fantasy of something better than people's own lives. For instance, Indian youth whose overbearing parents would never permit them to marry those they fall in love with may yet indulge themselves in the romances they see onscreen and hear about in these ballads.

And singing
Illuminate the main streets and the cinema aisles.
We don't care about no government warning,
About the promotion of the simple life and the dams they are building.

The movies and songs are an escape: they are what allow people to forget important concerns, at least for a while. The reference to dams might need a bit of explanation. In India, these often are huge projects wwhich candisplace thousands of people and impact on the environment .

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow, everybody needs a bosom, (x3)
Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow, mine's on the forty-five.

Mohammed Rafi - forty-five. Lata Mangeshkar - forty-five.
Solid state radio - forty-five. Ferguson Mono - forty-five.
Non public - forty-five.
Jacques Dutronc and the Bolan Boogies ...
The Heavy Hitters and the chi-chi music ...
All Indian radio - forty-five. Two in ones - forty-five.
Ovvo records - forty-five. Trojan records - forty-five.
7-7,000 piece orchestra set,
Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow; mine's on the RPM...
(fadeout)

These are historic icons of filmi and pop music. Rafi and Mangeshkar are other background singers. Solid state radio is self-explanatory. All-India Radio is the one, public radio station that existed all the decades before privatized radio stations and FM came to India. Two-in-ones are radio-cum-casette players. Jacques is a French singer and song writer.

Footnotes:

desi: (contemporary Hindi colloq.) Indian or person of Indian roots, or more generally person of Indian subcontinent roots.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Thanks Dexter.

You have obviously gone to some trouble and that is much more of a reply than I ever expected.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Dot wrote:Thanks Dexter.

You have obviously gone to some trouble and that is much more of a reply than I ever expected.

He's HG'a head of Don't care in the community,Dot :)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby edward carolan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 am

That is exactly what Dex is for.
Keep up the good work you grumpy sod.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 pm

My daughter is due to graduate from Strathclyde in a few months, her subject is Business Administration. She would like to move into teaching and would have applied to Glasgow but for the fact that they "give priority" to "those who intend to teach in Catholic schools."
"The design of the programme necessarily reflects the denominational sector requirements and prospective applicants should consider this before applying. The School welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. In the selection procedures for interview, priority is given to those who indicated, in their personal statement, their intention to teach in Catholic schools and to seek the Catholic Teacher’s Certificate in Religious Education."
She can apply -she just won't get in; Catholics though can apply to Aberdeen, the only other School to offer this course, as well as Glasgow.
Imagine - if youse will - the application process saying no Catholics or Muslims or Jews. Or how does only Jews, or only Muslims or only Protestants need apply sound? How would we respond?
Positive discrimination was a good thing when there was discrimination against Catholics. That doesn't happen now, why then do we need this?

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS She has been offered a place at Aberdeen.
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 am

My mate applied for Jordanhill and was referred to Notre Dame which actually offered post grad places to punters who went to schools which didn't have a saint in their name.

Of course in a so called independent Scotland there will be none of this nonsense now that William Wolfe is dead.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:My mate applied for Jordanhill and was referred to Notre Dame which actually offered post grad places to punters who went to schools which didn't have a saint in their name.

Of course in a so called independent Scotland there will be none of this nonsense now that William Wolfe is dead.

His spirit still sits on the First Minister's shoulder whispering 'never mind what's right, just think of the votes'

It's worth noting that the first sentence in the paragraph dimairt quotes reads "The Scottish Executive expects the School of Education to provide numbers of teachers to teach in Catholic schools in Scotland."
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:22 am

Dex, why should there be any of this nonsense now in this, our United Kingdom?

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:32 am

Oh I know. I'll be looking for a change in manifestos of the manifestos of all the political parties. It only takes one to do it and they'll all follow.

Where's Scolag? They'll write it for them
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions