Walking stick for Grannie Brigit

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Walking stick for Grannie Brigit

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:36 pm

Grannie Brigit needs a walking stick.

Where am I going to get one from? I can't walk down the road using a broom handle, now can I? :(
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Walking stick for Grannie Brigit

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:59 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:Grannie Brigit needs a walking stick.

Where am I going to get one from? I can't walk down the road using a broom handle, now can I? :(

Local hospital physio department or local charity shop?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:02 pm

onyirtodd wrote:

Well done onyirtodd, how in gods name is she going to get to either one? You should get in the dogmobile and go take her a walking stick
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Dave wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

Well done onyirtodd, how in gods name is she going to get to either one? You should get in the dogmobile and go take her a walking stick

The walking stick equivalent of a 'flu friend'?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:06 pm

What's that song Frank Sinatra used to sing? For the life of me I can't remember :twisted:
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Grannie Brigit, I have just returned from a lovely holiday in Banchory on Royal Deeside. Many of the shops in the general area sell basically everything…including walking sticks. Examples are Gordon Stores in Aboyne and BA Stores in the middle of nowhere, but not far from Aberdeen. There is also this one http://www.millersmidmar.co.uk/ (Hope hyperlink works), again in the middle of nowhere but not that far away from Aberdeen. Problem is, you’re in the middle of Glasgow!! Maybe people in Glasgow just don’t walk, but take the bus instead!!?? Hence the reason it’s awful difficult to acquire a walking stick.

In all seriousness, try Nevisport or Tiso.
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:10 pm

eBay to the rescue 8)
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:16 pm

Well spotted, Dave. Being housebound, the walking stick will have to come to me. If only it could live up to its name...

Really, I ought to saddle up the broom and fly it down the road. There again, I bought Hetty Hoover to replace it. I wonder if she'll fly?

I last had a walking stick four years ago. It used to belong to the landlady of one of my local pubs who'd passed away. It'll still be in Somerset, somewhere, along with the pisspot rescued from the same place. The latter was very useful for menacing drunken wurzels stumbling home beneath my bedroom window.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:02 pm

Dave wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

The dogmobile is on a SORN till I stop falling down every other time I stand up. Falling down pished is a lot less painful but falling down sober is a lot more embarassing :(
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:26 pm

This kind of thing might do: http://www.millets.co.uk/walking/walkin ... 10885.html
(Adjusted to the appropriate height of course.)

Tobacconists (i.e. proper old style, selling pipes and snuff and things) used to do old-fashioned walking sticks, for some reason. But they don't deliver to your door, I imagine.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:This kind of thing might do: http://www.millets.co.uk/walking/walkin ... 10885.html
(Adjusted to the appropriate height of course.)

Tobacconists (i.e. proper old style, selling pipes and snuff and things) used to do old-fashioned walking sticks, for some reason. But they don't deliver to your door, I imagine.

Some pharmacists sell walking sticks and might, just might, deliver on the basis that they already deliver prescriptions to people who are housebound.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Brigit,

I am ashamed to say that while we were in Glasgow and clearing out my aunts flat there were several which are now at the Dawsholme Recycling place. If I had known you were in need of one maybe we could have got them to
you somehow and you could have chosen from the assortment.
We only kept one which is now in Belfast at my Dad's house.

Hope you get something sorted and take care.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi Brigit
Hope the recovery continues apace. You could try one of these online suppliers of walking sticks:

http://www.walkingsticksonline.co.uk/

http://www.walkingstickshop.co.uk/theshop.html

http://www.sticks.org/

Boots online has a shock-absorbing one, which might be nice:

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=863244&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=11051
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:38 pm

GB!

You must call upon your legendary resourcefulness. But If I may suggest the following course of action may prove useful...

1) Wait for a suitably emaciated EK ned to pass beneath your casement, then drop a heavy glass paperweight squarely on his napper. (Nb. Many neds are malnourished and skinny, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.)

2) Lassoo his prostrate form and drag him indoors.

3) Wrap him soundly in Sellotape; clingilm or string and sealing wax: anything to stop his limps flopping about.

4) Upend him so that you are holding him by his skinny ankles. Suitably rigid and stick-like, his head will make a fine endpiece'; ensuring good wear and acceptable traction in wet or slippery weather.

5) Viola. This may be repeated whenever the current ned wears out.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:02 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:GB!

You must call upon your legendary resourcefulness. But If I may suggest the following course of action may prove useful...

1) Wait for a suitably emaciated EK ned to pass beneath your casement, then drop a heavy glass paperweight squarely on his napper. (Nb. Many neds are malnourished and skinny, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.)

2) Lassoo his prostrate form and drag him indoors.

3) Wrap him soundly in Sellotape; clingilm or string and sealing wax: anything to stop his limps flopping about.

4) Upend him so that you are holding him by his skinny ankles. Suitably rigid and stick-like, his head will make a fine endpiece'; ensuring good wear and acceptable traction in wet or slippery weather.

5) Viola. This may be repeated whenever the current ned wears out.

You can repeat that process as often as you like - you'll never make a big fiddle.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions