Burger Van Advice Please

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Burger Van Advice Please

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:13 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Shardonnay wrote:Don't sell burgers so old hat , try the healthy approach sushi is just the thing for workies on a building site ::):

as long as it's in a roll.

With brown sauce.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:46 am

In all my years in the building trade, I don't think we ever once stopped at a burger van. Nor did anyone else in the business that I knew. In most cases, we'd be sent to work with our "nosebags" (sandwich boxes) which would usually contain meat or cheese sandwiches made with white bread. The old boy's would have Branston Pickle in it.

Our subcontractors would have their nosebags too, all carefully prepared by the missus or mum.

The more lazy members of the trade would head for the pub at lunchtime.

Walkers Crisps have recently been selling a "Builder's Breakfast" flavour which tastes of egg, bacon and tomatoes. In our house, a builder's breakfast was most likely to be Sugar Puffs or porridge depending on the season. Later it would be three Shredded Wheat.

Sushi? I don't think the lads are quite ready for that, but you don't go building for long on a crap diet.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big jim » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:11 pm

when it comes to a van or any sort of take away quality and clean enviroment sell better than anything else
ive seen some travestys of vans that get compliance certs, but there grub is top quality not farmfoods belchers and mckechnie jess minced slice :roll: the one that still pisses me off big style is links flung in a deep fryer and cooked :evil: we use a industrial grill for our bacon and will grill anything within reason if the customer asks, always have some fruit on sale like apples and bannanas, healthy options are always a great plus in this day and age, think the greasy spoon is quickly dieing and most van or take away owners sell good quality stuff all my meat is supplied by a butcher, we pay alot more for the meat but quality after its cooked says alot as the lorne doesnt shrink to quarter of its size when it hits the hot plate :wink:
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Big Jim is right.
I've had a few jobs where you eat on the hoof and always look out for quality and cleanliness. A wee bit of banter helps too.

My pet hate though, and it's still far too prevalent, is where the cook puts raw meat on the griddle and then butters rolls without washing hands. It's only a matter of time 'til someone gets ill.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big jim » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:16 pm

hungryjoe wrote:is where the cook puts raw meat on the griddle and then butters rolls without washing hands. It's only a matter of time 'til someone gets ill.

thats just someone with a lack of hygene and training, there is never a excuse to handle meats and then touch rolls or the like, i wear gloves when im buttering rolls for one reason, you are touching the roll and your fingers may get butter on them, there is always 2 of us working so one deals with cooking and meat the other does the rolls aswell as dealing with the public, my major pet peeve is when they are cutting salads and leave them sitting next to the bain marie or when they have cooked bacon on the griddle and they dont scrape it after and put egg opr lorne straight ontop of the stuff............. bacon flavour sausage :x and i fully agree about the bit of banter with people even if its a simple how was your day or how is it going, i have got talking to some real charecters when im working, aswell as some right clowns but you take the rough with the smooth :roll:
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:37 am

and i fully agree about the bit of banter with people even if its a simple how was your day or how is it going, i have got talking to some real characters when I'm working, as well as some right clowns but you take the rough with the smooth :roll:

What does that remind me of but without the roll?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:03 pm

I've never used a burger van since 2001. I saw some auld dear who worked on the van at Coatbridge Sunnyside, going around to the back of the van, sticking her fingers back her throat and puking all over the grass. Then she had a fag and went back onto the van and said...."Av goat a f**king awfy hangover" and started serving again. No she didn't wash her hands or nothing. Aweful...just aweful!

They do say sick is sterile though!!! :x
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Knightmare wrote:I've never used a burger van since 2001. I saw some auld dear who worked on the van at Coatbridge Sunnyside, going around to the back of the van, sticking her fingers back her throat and puking all over the grass. Then she had a fag and went back onto the van and said...."Av goat a f**king awfy hangover" and started serving again. No she didn't wash her hands or nothing. Aweful...just aweful!

Sounds like one of the more educated from coatbridge ::):

I use the van (or rather hut) at helensburgh central and/or milngavie stations, same guy owns them its quite good and i get a discount for being a scotrail employee :)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:26 pm

tobester wrote:
Knightmare wrote:I've never used a burger van since 2001. I saw some auld dear who worked on the van at Coatbridge Sunnyside, going around to the back of the van, sticking her fingers back her throat and puking all over the grass. Then she had a fag and went back onto the van and said...."Av goat a f**king awfy hangover" and started serving again. No she didn't wash her hands or nothing. Aweful...just aweful!

Sounds like one of the more educated from coatbridge ::):

I use the van (or rather hut) at helensburgh central and/or milngavie stations, same guy owns them its quite good and i get a discount for being a scotrail employee :)

The burger bar at Motherwell station is quite good!!
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:38 pm

DickyHart wrote:The burger bar at Motherwell station is quite good!!

I'll second that - only been travelling to Motherwell for past 10 weeks, but on the odd occasion where I don't have time for a bit of toast before leaving home I know I can get a wee bacon roll and a coffee before the walk up to the steel mill.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fadgers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:15 pm

I have also bought a burger van and I am looking to find out what the best burgers are to use, I have been told to buy "Fribo" burgers but I'm not sure. Dont want to pay over the odds for them as I still need to make a profit and dont want to charge ridiculous prices to my customers to recoup the money spent buying the damn things!

Would also be interested to know whether people prefer burger buns or ordinary rolls with their burger as its hard to get a decent burger bun thats not too sweet!
fadgers
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby big jim » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:38 pm

fadgers wrote:Would also be interested to know whether people prefer burger buns or ordinary rolls with their burger as its hard to get a decent burger bun thats not too sweet!

mcghees soft dollies or mortons soft rolls are the norm for snack vans, they are good and dont fall apart to easily when your cutting them and buttering them, mcghees traditional crispies are good rolls for everything else i used mortons crispies and softies dont be tempted with burger buns or you wont see much profit from a burger :wink:
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fadgers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:22 pm

big jim wrote:
fadgers wrote:Would also be interested to know whether people prefer burger buns or ordinary rolls with their burger as its hard to get a decent burger bun thats not too sweet!

mcghees soft dollies or mortons soft rolls are the norm for snack vans, they are good and dont fall apart to easily when your cutting them and buttering them, mcghees traditional crispies are good rolls for everything else i used mortons crispies and softies dont be tempted with burger buns or you wont see much profit from a burger :wink:

Thanks for the info.....van is based in ayrshire so I will contact them to see if they deliver!

Any thoughts on the type of burger folks, needs to be reasonably priced but of good quality. I'm not all about the profit, would prefer people to keep coming back!

Anyone ever heard of "Fribo" burgers and better still....tasted one?
fadgers
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby big jim » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 pm

is fribo not a chip shop supplier? seen a couple of chippies useing there stuff, of the ones i bought they were rather sickly, if your in ayrshire maybe give dark island (A.P JESS)a go, but honestly bud, get samples from other companys, cook it on your vans hot plate, then eat it and let other people have a taste ive always found non family members are best or people who have no interest in your van :wink: if you get thumbs up from them and you can enjoy eating it and the price falls into your breakdowns then use them simple as that bud, if you were glasgow based i coulda given ya the number for my butcher, but he wont deliver :roll:
i can give ya the address for the cashy i use in glasgow for your chicken burgers, sauces, oil, crisps and chocolate just drop me a PM :wink:
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:16 pm

Fribo is one of the best frozen burgers,it has a high onion content and that masks the fact that its made from
dog food. Its run of the mill burger van man stuff.I take it hand made Aberdeen Angus burgers are not on the menu?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions