whats in a number

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

whats in a number

Postby glasgowgub » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:49 pm

enlighten me someone please. why do none of the streets in my lovely(sic) scheme have a number 13 :?: was this a bout of post-war superstitious hysteria by our city fathers or is there another reason? sorry but these are the things that keep me awake at night...
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DVF » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:19 pm

The number 13 has only been 'unlucky' for about the last 1000 years or so. It comes from the night in 1023AD or therabouts (can't remember the exact date), Friday the 13th October, when the Roman Catholic Church annihalated all of the Knights Templar because they were getting too rich and powerful for they're own good or something. That's what it says in yon book anyway.

I'll find out again the details.

So everyone thinks the number is unlucky, and no-one wants to stay in a house with that number. Wasn't there a block of flats in the Gorbals that had a garden on the 13th floor, instead of flats, knocked down now?
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:36 pm

Doesn't the Hilton not have a 13th floor? Or is that the one that's haunted?

I know, when my Grandpa Malone moved to sheltered housing, he got number 13, because another woman moved out because she was scared of living in No 13.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:28 pm

I live at a Number 13... its been fine. Nothing out of the ordinary to report luck wise.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby red_kola » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:37 pm

DVF wrote:The number 13 has only been 'unlucky' for about the last 1000 years or so. It comes from the night in 1023AD or therabouts (can't remember the exact date), Friday the 13th October, when the Roman Catholic Church annihalated all of the Knights Templar....

That may well be why Friday the 13th is unlucky, but I always thought 13 was unlucky due to the actions of the 13th Disciple.

Happily walking under ladders for 32 years...
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:37 pm

I found this can you pronounce it !!!

FEAR OF NUMBER 13
(TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA)
By Mr. Yogi (YOGI INKA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday the 13th phobia has its roots in the early days of Christianity. There were 13 people at Christ's Last Supper before his captivity, and then He was crucified on a Friday. Since number 13 is regarded as an ominous and unlucky. The latest example of ill-fated Apollo 13 lunar mission, which was, aborted en route to the moon in 1970 because of a fuel cell in the service module. The flight left the launching pad at 13 minutes after the hour on April 13.In China also, 13 was regarded as a number of obstacles.

In the ancient religion of Mexico, number 13 were considered the most fortunate number- since it symbolizes the Sun, the male and positive energy. In the Cabala, 13 are not regarded as unlucky. In the second book of the Moses, one can study of the 13 attributes of God (Exodus34: 6-7). In numerology, it is a number of practical, alert, and intelligent. Those born on this date are very successful in scientific research and development. Their interests in religion and philosophy can bring them great fame and siddhis/ riddhis (powers that are believed to be supernatural)

Are you more adamant about your fear of number 13? Would you consider living on floor marked 13 in unit 13? Most of the scientist world does not offer you any solid proof, but stating it is simply a superstition phobia. For centuries, the scary combination of Friday the 13 has portended misfortune to many across this world. The number 13 by itself have led many high-rise buildings to number of their floors 12 to 14. Although the West is famous for scientific technological wizardry and education, the number 13's superstition still has a powerful hold on many aspects of everyday life. It seems to be that even concern authorities and governments recognize the power of this number and willing to bend the rules. Perhaps numbers do have their strengths.

My wife was born on the 13th she says it is a lot of shite - so it must be :o :o
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Paper Hankie » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:55 pm

Most football teams don't use number 13.
Paper Hankie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:23 pm

I think that it is unlucky to be superstitious, so I am not, but then again, does this mean I am. Superstitious, or unlucky or both or what. Help!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:49 am

red_kola wrote:That may well be why Friday the 13th is unlucky, but I always thought 13 was unlucky due to the actions of the 13th Disciple.

Surely there were only 12 Disciples? I think it might have been the 13 diners at the last supper that started the panic.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandpiper » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:39 am

Not only do we not have a 13 but 11 is missing as well. Any supersticious (sp?) significance there?
Sandpiper
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby MacKenzie79 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:10 pm

Perhaps all of your odd numbers are across the street or in another block of flats????? Just a thought. Do you have numbers 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9?? Some of the houses here are numbered like that. One side of the street has even numbers and the other side odd.
MacKenzie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:08 pm

MacKenzie79 wrote:One side of the street has even numbers and the other side odd.

That's how it works where I am too.
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sandpiper » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:57 am

MacKenzie79 wrote:Perhaps all of your odd numbers are across the street or in another block of flats????? Just a thought. Do you have numbers 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9?? Some of the houses here are numbered like that. One side of the street has even numbers and the other side odd.

Yeah, It's a very small street! I'm at 17 which is the last house on the odd side and the subsequent houses on my side are numbered from 1 - 9 and then the last two are 15 & 17.....wierd or what?

All the houses on the other side of the street are even and run from 2 - 34 with no ommisions.
Sandpiper
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby radar » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:46 am

I always thought that odds were on one side of the street and evens on the other until I ended up living "ere in Lanky". Someone obviously thought it was a bright idea when they built this estate in the 70's to number in each street (they are all cul-de-sacs) down the left side to the end and back out on the other. So I now have number 4 on one side and 6 on the other and I live opposite numbers 56, 57 and 58 :? It can't be that common even here in Lanky because everytime we get a new postie we always seem to get the wrong letters (even though the houses all have numbers on the doors) and it is usually 4 hours later than normal as well :x Mind you it doesn't help either when the back of the house I live faces the road and the front is on a footpath. On the other side of the street the front doors do face the road however :? Perhaps a missing number or two in a sequence isn't so bad after all. I suppose it's my own fault for moving south of the border!
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby anok » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:23 pm

there is no number thirteen in st mungo avenue. the numbers in glasgow also get higher as you leave the city. sad postie trivia :oops:
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Random Distractions