Boredom Thread: What advert drives you insane?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:58 am

Fucking Michael Winner..."Calm down dear"

Calm down Michael, I'm going to give you a punch up the bracket.

I remember an ad from a few years back. It was for shock absorbers. They did the comparison with "brand x" or whatever. Let's say the advert was for "Whizzo" shock absorbers. The voiceover went:

"Brand X absorbers are worn out. They don't absorb the shock. But Whizzo is smooth as you like" Or whatever.

Well of course they'll look good, when you compare a brand new set of shock absorbers with a knackered old pair.......
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:03 am

Television sucks Big Time. Do yourself a favour and bin the fecker and go read a book instead. Stick the radio on @ hourly intervals if you really need to keep abreast of what shits going down in the world.

PS: Cut the plug off the telly and keep it handy in case you need it for that Breville sandwich maker thats under the sink and never see's the light of day........you never know:!: :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:13 pm

That advert for the bathroom scent thing where the wee boy is on the toilet doing his business then holds his nose moaning about the smell, but luckily for him mummy has this new thing to make it smell nice again... ARGH! Does my head in so much, plus it's really badly dubbed.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:16 pm

Sharon wrote:The one I hated more han words can even come close to descibibing was the old AOL adverts...and not even because it was AOL...but ...

the smug, ginger, bitch..."Holly" ....oh man how i would still like to have the satisaction of smacking the bint one....

...its been pulled die to overt smugness for about a year now...and she still pisses me off!

The latest ones aren't that better, they are more cheesy than a lump of cheddar. Plus, everybody knows that AOL doesn't work!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rank_bajin » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:32 pm

Right, Tampon adverts first off. All of them! It just strikes me thats there's no need to advertise such a product.

The bog roll one featuring the bear, who needs Bear Class bog roll?

and by far the worst, the awful Orange Film Commision ones they play at the UGC, which I'm postive has the sound of laughter dubbed into them. They're not sodding funny!!!!!!!
rank_bajin
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:22 pm

rank_bajin wrote:Right, Tampon adverts first off. All of them! It just strikes me thats there's no need to advertise such a product.......

..‘cause all fannies are different..

don’t you think that would make a great tag line. :)

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby rank_bajin » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:24 pm

..‘cause all fannies are different..

don’t you think that would make a great tag line.

I prefer "Stuck Up C*nts" myself
rank_bajin
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:34 pm

Sharon wrote:The one I hated more han words can even come close to descibibing was the old AOL adverts...and not even because it was AOL...but ...

the smug, ginger, bitch..."Holly" ....oh man how i would still like to have the satisaction of smacking the bint one....

...its been pulled die to overt smugness for about a year now...and she still pisses me off!

Well Sharon you will be please to know that the 'actress' who played Holly stopped doing the adverts after a violent attack outside her home.

Honest.. I kid ye not.

Turns out the thief took her wallet, jewelery but not her AOL 10.0 for Macintosh CDs.

Funny that.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aliferste » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:08 pm

Going to the cinema and seeing adverts I absolutely hate that. I especially loathe the one that is on at the start of the films at the UGC for Orange. They used to be funny, like the jaws one when you heard the nokia ringtone...yes mildly amusing...but now its a big long story that just pizzes me off :evil:
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:51 pm

i hate when you watch countdown (ultimate student programme) and then get all the old granny commercials!! stair lifts, bath lifts etc etc!!

i'm 19 not 90!!!!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:05 pm

just thought of another one - the entire Homebase series with that pair of has-beens from that comedy that used to be on.... can't even remember the name of it now. you know, him who does Bob the Builder, and her with the lips who's husband beats her up... sorry, i mean who falls out of bed and breaks her ribs
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Here I go again

Postby scotia47 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:39 am

(Apologies for the staggered nature of my ranting)

In a lot of deodorant ads, the guy/gal will appear to take the cap off, spray/roll ONE armpit, then put it away. Funnily enough, it never seems to lead to any awkward moments afterwards.

I don't like ads whose background music includes annoying, repetitive basslines that you can hear from the opposite room, e.g. Uncle Ben's, Always, SPT, and that one Carol Vorderman's on (something to do with loans).

Possibly more to come...
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby trudger » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:49 am

a a a
Last edited by trudger on Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:05 am

Does anyone remember "Scottish Chedder - It's our kind of cheese!"

Bloody awful.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:31 am

whooooooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh bodyform, bodyform for you!!!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions