HG Movie Critique.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG Movie Critique.

Postby DickyHart » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:07 pm

minxy wrote:I just watched Aliens...for the first time in goodness knows how many years 8O
One of the characters said early on in the film..."Just neuk the planet and get the hell outa here"....that was probably the best idea :?
However I may watch all the other ones, just to make sure they kill the buggers 8)

The Alien movies are my favourites. in this order 2,1,3,4

if your gonna watch alien3, try and watch the Assembly Cut,the theatrical cut isnt so good.

Alien : Resurection is ok in parts, its got a laughable ending though.

I can lend you it if you like.

Incidently Ridley Scott is making an Alien Prequel. :D
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm going to get out on a walk soon Dicky, I can give you a shout if you like and you can bring some Aliens with you 8O
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:53 pm

Looks a bit different from the normal teen mish mash.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Fell asleep when i went to see this in the cinema a few years ago,watched it the othe day and was actuly quite surprised at the prodcution, quite a good performance by Farell & Fox. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm

They interviewd the producer/ director of KIckass tonight on the one show, highlighting the violence of a 15 year old schoolgirl with guns, found it quite amusing. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Well, it is from a book by a bloke from Coatbridge. I presume the broken Buckie bottles have been adapted to guns for a U.S. audience.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Looks & sounds like a 'Kill Bill' rip off.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Official trailer, scheduled for Dec 010.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:16 pm

I've mentioned previously I like the look of this little production and managed to procure a copy for perusal today, doing so this very wet and wild afternoon.

Two scientists (Adrien Brody & Sarah Polley) splice animal & human DNA to create a hybrid being- the initially passive Dren (Delphine Chaneac).

As Dren begins to learn and grow at an accelerated rate, the animal/human hybrid begins to display more aggressive behavior (actually due to hormonal inconsistencies the creature undergoes a spontaneous sex change) becoming a nightmare for both the scientists, and anyone unfortunate enough to cross paths with the dangerous creature.

All in all I found this flick to be, while perfectly adequately executed, a tad derivative with definite leanings toward Cronenberginess (The Fly) and had to be bolstered along it's journey with well above average performances from Brody and Polley.

Brody's solid as the somewhat more level-headed of the two scientists, although all that goes out the window in the second half of the film when his relationship with Dren gets .. erm .. somewhat 'heated'.

Polley really engages with the material, and anchors the film with a performance that doesn't shy away from being somewhat unlikable at times. Her relationship with Dren becomes just as twisted as Brody's, and there are even a few scenes between the two where you might find yourself sympathizing with Dren. My only real problem is that Polley's actions in the last act of the film don't exactly jibe with the way the character's portrayed earlier in the film, which leads the film to end on fairly predictable note.

Meanwhile, as Dren, Delphine Chaneac (supported by nothing short of breathtaking CGI) is both creepy, and unsettlingly attractive in an androgynous, freaky way. While she's no Natasha Henstridge style sex bomb a la SPECIES, the character is still made attractive enough to make you understand that the scientists could grow attached, and even attracted to it (although the wings and legs might be a tad offputting to anyone but the least fussy - I probably would).

Overall, I'd say SPLICE was a perfectly decent genre thriller. While it's not terribly original, it is well directed, and acted. The script could have used some work, but overall it's a pretty solid movie- although I'm not sure it's good enough to justify taking a squiz if there's anything better on your viewing horizons.

Overall 6.5-7.0/10
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:46 pm

The new A-Team movie is great fun. Just a solid, over-the-top action movie with some convincing performances and loads of wee nods to the original. Better written than I thought it would be, and really well put together. Suffers from occasional scenes in can't-see-what-the-fuck-is-going-on-o-vision, but that's about all that's wrong with it. Plus! Sharlto Copley is brilliant.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:24 pm

I watched thon myself yesterday too.

Completely in agreement. Totally far fetched, completely not based in reality action fun .. a fair few laugh out loud moments too.

All in all - completely like the pattern on the box. Well worth wasting a couple of hours on I'd say. If you had a laugh with the TV show first time round then you shan't be disappointed with this iteration.

Very fair to high middling.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Looking forward to this... theres been a few like this over the last few months though A team will be the better of them Like Losers & Takers with Idris Elba. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Just watched District 9 on dvd (blue ray) oh err :D

Loved it ....the lighting was dark like Aliens and the alien shanty scenes were mesmerising and really raw. It got straight into it as well as I hate long drawn out openings. The special effects were fantastic (for someone who doesn't really watch a lot of sci fi) the comparisons both obvious and subtle with human life and the ghettos and apartheid in S Africa was clever and original. The main character I thought was a bit hammy at first but as the story kicked in you got the whole picture.
The "fook" word got a bit irritating after about the 109th ::):

Guess what there's a sequel coming out :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:13 pm

::): Kids had this on the other day, quite a funny scene. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:16 pm

I saw Serge Gainsbourg Vie héroïqueat the Duke of York's last wee. Excellent film and well cast.

It stars amongst others Laetitia Casta, Lucy Gordon
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions