HG Movie Critique.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG Movie Critique.

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm looking forward to "A Field in England". Filmed in 12 days, in black and white and with a couple of well kent faces from the comedy world.

The film will be shown in the cinema and on TV and released on DVD on the same day, which must be a first(?) or fairly unique.

The official site is here

and the trailer is:

(best viewed fullscreen)
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:44 am

Seen this on friday, pretty good performance from Matt Damon, Jodie foster still yummy. :D

Plot Summary:
In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined planet. The people of Earth are desperate to escape the crime and poverty that is now rampant throughout the land. The only man with the chance to bring equality to these worlds is Max (Matt Damon), an ordinary guy in desperate need to get to Elysium. With his life hanging in the balance, he reluctantly takes on a dangerous mission -- one that pits him against Elysium's Secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) and her hard-line forces -- but if he succeeds, he could save not only his own life, but millions of people on Earth as well.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:38 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:I'm looking forward to "A Field in England". Filmed in 12 days, in black and white and with a couple of well kent faces from the comedy world.

The film will be shown in the cinema and on TV and released on DVD on the same day, which must be a first(?) or fairly unique.

The official site is here

and the trailer is:

(best viewed fullscreen)

I watched this a few weeks back, Tom .. and very good it is too.

Highly stylized and very esoteric.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:11 am

Just watched 'Cold in July' Brilliant movie & a superb cast. Can't tell you anything about the plot, wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone.

'Frontera' is well worth a watch too.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:31 am

"Frontera" is top of my list for tonight, actually. Good, oh.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:57 am

Test
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Tube.
The site is working, it's just fucking about with us.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:12 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Can't tell you anything about the plot

You want to have a go at Mood Indigo, guv. You definitely won't be able to tell us anything about the plot. :-)

I quite liked it, personally.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:13 am

Dramatic thriller telling the true story of journalist Gary Webb. It centers on Webb's efforts to expose the CIA's former involvement in importing cocaine into California in order to raise funding for Nicaraguan Contra rebels. It was directed by Michael Cuesta and written by Peter Landesman. The script is based on the book, of the same name, by Nick Schou and the novel 'Dark Allaince' by Webb himself. Jeremy Renner stars as Webb in the movie and also served as a producer. The film co-stars Rosemarie DeWitt, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Oliver Platt, Lucas Hedges, Barry Pepper, Tim Blake Nelson, Michael Sheen, Paz Vega, Ray Liotta, Andy Garcia and Michael K. Williams. Both ascinating and factually accurate, this movie pulls you into the shadowy world of the CIA and reveals just how easily they can destroy the lives of ordinary citizens who are, in the opinion of the CIA, not acting in the best interests of the CIA, and how the legal system is so easily subverted by Governmental powers which see themselves as above the reach of the law.

The film is set in the mid-1990s when Gary Webb first learned of the CIA's past involvement in importing large amounts of cocaine into the US. They did this in order to sell it in ghettos, primarily in California, in order to raise money for supporting Contra rebels in Nicaragua. He goes public with the story, in a series of articles called 'Dark Alliance' (which he later based his book on). In retaliation, the CIA aggressively smeared Webb's name and harassed both him and his family.

7.5/10 - absorbing and recommended watch.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:12 am

All hail this MacBeth. Great film version, saw it last night at the Grosvenor.

Durachdan,

Eddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgH_OnrYlCk
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:30 pm

dimairt wrote:All hail this MacBeth. Great film version, saw it last night at the Grosvenor.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Pretty mixed reviews that I've seen....worth going to see?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:52 pm

RDR wrote:
dimairt wrote:All hail this MacBeth. Great film version, saw it last night at the Grosvenor.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Pretty mixed reviews that I've seen....worth going to see?

I knew that it had had mixed reviews as you say RDR but went with an open mind having seen many versions of the Scottish play since my first, the King's Theatre's production featuring disco-dancing witches in 1970.
The film is good, I enjoyed it - blood and all - and thought the two principals were good. Skye provided a terrific background to the action though I can't see it doing much for the tourist industry.
Please let us know what you make of it if you go.

Durachdan,
Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Enjoyed "The Lady in the Van " at the Grosvenor the other night - terrific performance by Maggie Smith. Very sad though.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Went to see 'Sunset Song' last night and loved it, warts and all. Will re-read it soon and watch the '70s BBC version with Vivien Helibron which is on YouTube.
Sadly , there were only six people in the cinema and when my son saw it on Friday night - in Brixton - there were only nine.
Durachdan,

Eddy

Film trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQqqkTdwv50

BBC series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQEYysEz7X0
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:43 am

dimairt wrote:Went to see 'Sunset Song' last night and loved it, warts and all. Will re-read it soon and watch the '70s BBC version with Vivien Helibron which is on YouTube.
Sadly , there were only six people in the cinema and when my son saw it on Friday night - in Brixton - there were only nine.
Durachdan,

Eddy

Film trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQqqkTdwv50

BBC series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQEYysEz7X0

I loved the 70's version and particularly Vivien Helibron who I thought was immense in the Chris Guthrie part.
Is the new version a patch on that?
I can imagine Peter Mullan would be good as old man Guthrie
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions