HG Movie Critique.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG Movie Critique.

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Brilliant effects, id say its even better than Lord of the rings trilogy, good storyline too. Loved it ! :D

This one i missed when it came out or its went under the radar for some reason, watched it on film 4 the other night, fantastic costumes and sets and great ending cliffside fight scene.

Enjoy :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:47 pm

I stumbled across this movie by accident last week, and having a bit of a bad day yesterday, decided to hunker down and watch what I thought was a thriller but which actually turned out to be deep and thoroughly compelling character study of a functioning alchoholic, and his personal journey in coming to terms with the misery his addictions have afflicted upon him and those he loves.

Denzel Washington stars as a self denying high functioning alcoholic pilot who pulls off a skillful rescue of his doomed aircraft after a catastrophic mechanical failure.

But no sooner is Captain "Whip" Whitaker (Washington) branded a "Captain Sully" ( of Hudson River splashdown fame) -style hero by the media than the investigations into the cause of the crash threaten to not only derail his career, but also send him to jail as the extent of his drink and drug problems not only become increasingly apparent to those around him who both respect him, or hold him in contempt, dependant on the depth of their personal knowledge of his substance abuse demons .. but to Washington's character himself as the realisation dawns that his issues have him under control and not, as most addicts presume, the contrary.

The film doesn't break any new ground in the 'struggles of an alcoholic' genre. Indeed, quite often, it reverts to formulaic cliché but, as events progress, the film springs to life when Washington is interacting with Don Cheadle (his union lawyer) and Bruce Greenwood (as a longtime friend who is in a professional position to help him).

By way and by far though, the standout performer in this movie was by John Goodman as Whip's good ol' boy/hippie drug dealer.

Goodman steals all his scenes and his character shifts the tone of this otherwise heavy drama into oddly comedic territory.

The effect is one of a well delivered hugely mixed message to send in a film about a pilot fucked up on booze and coke at the time of a fatal crash. "Flight" makes you never want to touch another drop of booze, but it makes cocaine seem like the greatest pick-me up ever.

English actress Kelly Reilly (best known as Dr. Watson's wife in the Sherlock Holmes movies) makes an appearance in events, playing Nicole, a recovering junkie who begins a relationship with Whip. She gives a fine performance in a somewhat one-note role and never quite generates much heat or chemistry with Washington in their many scenes together.

This movie, for the most part, is buoyed up by Washington, who is his usual reliably great self. But there are a few false notes and actory tics in his performance, such as never being that convincing when "drunk", which I found to be somewhat disconcerting which, along with the disconnected premise of an investigative thriller type movie actually turning into an evangelical advert for AA prevented me from fully connecting with the screenplay.

Still, all in all, thoroughly watch-able. (7/10)
Last edited by Doorstop on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Cheers DS i'm looking forward to Flight, love Denzel Washington, i've never seen him in a bad film so far, superb actor.

Loved man on fire, training day, and many others hes superbly acted in over the years. :D

BTW is it out on DVD ? its marked as a 1st feb release, or was that a wee pirate youve got a hold of. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Shhh! ::):
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:40 pm

An interesting way to land an aircraft but it would probably shake the passengers up a little bit?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Anyway of landing a passenger other than "dead" is probably preferable to the alternative .. no matter how rough the descent. :D
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Went to see 'Les Misérables' this afternoon, quite simply one of the finest films I've seen in years. The performances given by Anne Hathaway & Hugh Jackman are astounding, with the rest of the cast not far behind. It has been many years since I was so emotionally involved with what was happening on the silver screen (Love Story maybe) There was a puddle at my feet by the end. It's also the first movie where I felt like standing up and applauding on three or four occasions, it really is that good.......................................Great news for the guys...........The Cinema is kept in darkness till the credits are complete, gives you plenty of time to dry your eyes.

I did not think I would hear a better version of 'I Dreamed a Dream' than Susan boyle's but Anne Hathaway really nailed it, a perfect rendition. Go see it, take plenty of hankies, It's a dream to watch.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 pm

HollowHorn wrote:.......................................................There was a puddle at my feet by the end.................................

Aw naw is it really that bad now?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm not one for 'chickflicks'.

I put the term 'chickflick' inside inverted commas because I'm not entirely sure what the phrase means. There are obviously girly movies that are schmaltzy and glib and have nothing to do with real life, and there are others that are way too real (Beaches et al) and set out to destroy your happiness from the outset, but I have just watched a chickflick {on my own, no chick company involved} that was quite simply sublime.

'Silver Linings Playbook', a David O'Russell movie (his sixth since 1994, including the acclaimed 'Three Kings and 'The Fighter') has a rather odd overriding premise of having the seemingly opposing factions in the plotline actually being two 'antiheroes'. Both social pariah after having major mental health problems (the male protagonist via his Bi-Polar disorder, and the female through issues with grief, after the untimely death of her policeman husband, causing her some antisocial behavioural disorders.

Balancing on the edge of a sushi knife between comedy and psychological drama, Silver Linings Playbook opens with, after eight months under a mental health section, the release from a mental institution of the explosive Patrick Solitano Jr. (I think this is where the resonance for me personally begins).

Played by the disgustingly handsome Bradley Cooper (probably best known for his roles in the "Hangover" movies.) his character has been diagnosed as bipolar after beating up a fellow high school teacher, whom he finds having a shower with his (Pat's) wife.

Primary, in the conditions of his release, is that he takes his medication and lives with his father, Robert De Niro, doing what seems almost second nature by now in playing the part of a 'rough round the edges, antagonistic, but basically warm hearted 'Father' role {who is now running an illegal bookmaking business in his parlour} and his devoted mother.

Meanwhile, he must keep inside the remits of his restraining order in regard to his wife, and make regular visits to his consultant, a carnivorously perceptive yet humorous Indian psychiatrist. (The 'Indian' may seem a bit "un-PC", but the reference becomes clear later in the movie)

Almost every character in this movie is an obsessives of sorts, but are all 'obsessives' whom are of a type that we all know in our everyday livese, as are the majority of the people Patrick meets in his native Philadelphia home streets.

A particular passion they all share is for the local American football team, the Philadelphia Eagles, Because of the tradition of disruptive behaviour his over-enthusiastic presence encourages, Pat's father has been banned from the Eagles' stadium for an obsession with his support ending up in violence in-stadium, which, in turn, lends itself to directing the viewer to a possible origin of Pats' mental health problems

Most significant among the people Pat reunites with after release from hospital is the young widow Tiffany, a good-looking woman living in the garage of her parents' home, which she's turned into a dance studio. An old school friend of Patrick's, she hilariously reunites with him over dinner as they exchange notes about the medication they've been taking. The main thrust of the movie afterwards is the dynamic between these two main characters.

Directed through a project to involve him in an annual dance competition, the city's local equivalent of Strictly Come Dancing, he seeks to gain favour with his ex-wife by showing her his new found focus while simultaneously failing to see the bonds he is forming with Tiffany, a woman who is obviously good for him, perhaps better for him than his estranged wife ever was.

I loved this movie .. one of the best I've seen in a while.

Highly recommended.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Seen Silverlinings a while back too, realy great elaboration of disturbed minds comming back to reality. Bradley cooper is a talented actor, seen Limitless a while back which opend my eyes to if there ever were a drug like this what we all would become. :D

An action-thriller about a writer who takes an experimental drug that allows him to use 100 percent of his mind. As one man evolves into the perfect version of himself, forces more corrupt than he can imagine mark him for assassination. Out-of-work writer Eddie Morra's (Cooper) rejection by girlfriend Lindy (Abbie Cornish) confirms his belief that he has zero future. That all vanishes the day an old friend introduces Eddie to NZT, a designer pharmaceutical that makes him laser focused and more confident than any man alive. Now on an NZT-fueled odyssey, everything Eddie's read, heard or seen is instantly organized and available to him. As the former nobody rises to the top of the financial world, he draws the attention of business mogul Carl Van Loon (De Niro), who sees this enhanced version of Eddie as the tool to make billions. But brutal side effects jeopardize his meteoric ascent... Written by Relativity Media.

Director: Neil Burger
Writers: Leslie Dixon (screenplay), Alan Glynn (novel)
Stars: Bradley Cooper, Anna Friel and Abbie Cornish
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Oooh, I've not heard of that one Mori.

I'll take it as a good 'heads up' from a fellow flick-head.

Cheers.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:08 pm

Definetely worth a watch DS . :wink:
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 pm

Mori wrote:Brilliant effects, id say its even better than Lord of the rings trilogy, good storyline too. Loved it ! :D

Watched the Hobbit last night in a word - masterpiece.
I read all the negative comments like it was too long,too slow,too much fight/flight scenes etc.
I agree with you Mori - it's even better than LOTR.
Filmed beautifully.It needed to be of a longer and slower pace anyway to set the scene for the whole saga.
Martin Freeman was a good choice,quirkier and more bumbling than probably what James McEvoy may have brought to the part and not as manic as perhaps David Tennant might have been.
I didn't recognise the brilliant Ken Stott at all - the make up is awesome and Sylvester McCoy is his usual wild and wacky self with a part made for him.
I did happen to notice the beautiful Aidan Turner too ;) I wont post a pic I've already posted a couple on the Would Ye thread.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:10 am

I loved the Eagle scene, absolutely epic, one of my all time great scenes !! 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 am

Mori wrote:I loved the Eagle scene, absolutely epic, one of my all time great scenes !! 8)

Wish I'd seen it in the cinema or at least a state of the art TV. ::):

Speaking again of dwarves I didn't recognise,the high heid yin was Richard Armitage from the Vicar of Dibley 8O
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions