HG Movie Critique.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG Movie Critique.

Postby Doorstop » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:04 am

Looks good .. I shall look out for that one myself .. thanks for the review Toby mate. Top Notch! 8)

On another note, good people, I watched a humdinger last night ...

Image ... Image

The main character,Sam Bell, an astronaut working out a 3 year contract to maintain a mine based on the dark side of the lunar surface is harvesting the solar energy stored in the helium-3 contained in the moon rocks (actual good science and being looked at by scientists as a possible serious contender for the energy of the future, fact fans) . His only companion is a robot called GERTY voiced with HAL-like creepy calm by Kevin Spacey and accompanied by a somehow equally creepy emoticon like display screen.

Having been stuck on the moon for three years (he's coming tot he end of his contract) the cracks are starting to show for Sam. His wife and daughter, to whom he sends video messages down on Earth, feel an awfully long way away. Sam’s health starts to deteriorate. Painful headaches, hallucinations and a lack of focus lead to an almost fatal accident on a routine drive on the moon in a lunar rover. While recuperating back at the base (with no memory of how he got there), Sam meets a younger, angrier version of himself, who claims to be there to fulfill the same three year contract Sam started all those years ago.

Confined with what appears to be a clone of his earlier self, and with a “support crew” on its way to help put the base back into productive order, Sam is fighting the clock to discover what’s going on and where he fits into company plans, a company which increasingly appears not to have Sam's best interests at heart.

Great actual model effects (remember those?) for the lunar surface and vehicles don't detract from the movies stark, lonely realism .. quite the contrary - they enhance the emptiness and desperation throughout as the whole countdown to Sams inevitable fate unfolds.

I initially thought that this film ran out of steam towards the end but, because it remained crisp and unpredictable, it actually, on reflection, had the feel of an addictive Outer Limits episode finding ways to stretch itself over the feature-length mark.

Definite leanings to other landmark sci fi such as "Silent Running", "2001 - A Space Oddysey" and "Dead Ringers" etc here but things still manage to find a take new enough to hold your attention for the duration.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Directed by the former Zowie Bowie (who, rather understandably, chose to change his name at the earliest possible opportunity), no less. Good to see there's someone in the family with talent. :D **ducks**
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Watched this last night. Basically the Stasi watching a playwright and his actress partner and how the surveillance guy becomes more involved in their lives. Excellent
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:14 pm

^ it's a great film, really stayed with me for a good while afterwards.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fraz13 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:59 am

This is a new Scottish film that I was lucky enough to be asked to be involved in. It was filmed in Glasgow, Paisley and surrounding areas. David Baker who's film is is, is a Paisley man himself. I first got involved basically as David was looking for an "unusual" Black car. Obviously my Dodge was where he was looking, Then I offerered him a friends black H1 Hummer, With it being a military vehicle it was perfect for the job. I was the only one allowed to drive so I was cast in for a no speaking part (my choice, you know how it is when you hear yourself on the TV :)) This film was shot over about 8 months, the odd day or weekend, mainly because there was virtually NO budget. Its out now and ok, I may be biast but its awsome.

Anyway heres a run down of the plot.... Visit the website at the bottom for the trailer and how to buy Its a great film

Grant is a documentary film student. He makes up for the lack of excitement in his life by playing military video games, and trying to get the idea for an exciting documentary for his college project. He connects with a Mercenary online. (Ryan) A self destructive disillusioned mercenary from Iraq. Ryan agrees to a brief interview to talk about war, killing, and missions.

They meet when Ryan is back in the city to recruit a team of men for a private mission. Grant then begins to realise that Ryan is staging a revenge attack on a mercenary agency in 24 hours. In this city! Grant ends up documenting the whole prep with Ryan and his men, then also videos the whole assault on the building. An experience that is very different from his video games.

http://www.wild-dogs.co.uk/
Fraz13
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby flyman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:53 am

Finally got around to watching Encounters At The End Of The World-Werner Herzog.I'm starting to really appreciate the true concept of blue ray and hi definition with films like this.Stunning visuals and an engrossing insight into the dedication of folk in the pursuit of knowledge.It bordered on the psychedelic at times with some of the sights and sounds and to add to the sense of psychedelic some of the main subjects in the documentary seemed to be old hippies who still clung to the idealism of the 60's.As with most of Hezogs work always offbeat and slightly deranged but never anything other than absorbing.The section of the movie about the ambient music they were making with the recorded sounds of the seals under the ice was truly jaw dropping for someone who considers himself a musician,think i'll punt my guitars and buy some seals.
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:24 am

just watched "Gamer" starring Glesga's own gerald butler, my brain was aching afterwards, what a load of old tosh trying to be a smartass movie. Its heavy violent and im still trying to get to grips with it twenty minutes after it finished!!

utter shite.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:16 am

Duff performances set to earn votes in Roll of Shame
Gerard Butler is arguably Scotland’s biggest Hollywood star since the heyday of Sean Connery. With three big-budget movies opening in the last six months, Butler has been impossible to miss.

The Paisley-born actor, 40, is a household name in US and is emerging as a frontrunner in the awards season – not for the Oscars, in which he has no chance, but for the
Golden Raspberries, the awards that honour the worst movies and performances of the year.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Best Sherlock Holmes since basil raithbone, most enjoyed this Guy Ritchie production yesterday, some great CGI included. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:39 pm

If you miss Hammer Horrors a la Dracula movies could I recommend The Wolfman. Definitely hammy but gory with Benicio Del Toro, Hugo Weaving, Emily Blunt and Anthony Hopkins. Gypsy camps, smoky taverns and vigilante villagers what more could you ask for. Michael Ripper for one I suppose.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:If you miss Hammer Horrors a la Dracula movies could I recommend The Wolfman. Definitely hammy but gory with Benicio Del Toro, Hugo Weaving, Emily Blunt and Anthony Hopkins. Gypsy camps, smoky taverns and vigilante villagers what more could you ask for. Michael Ripper for one I suppose.

Trailers looked good, Empire Magazine panned it.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:23 pm

Of course they would. They've never seen a Hammer movie in the Odeon at Shettleston. Context is all.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:33 pm

I just watched Aliens...for the first time in goodness knows how many years 8O
One of the characters said early on in the film..."Just neuk the planet and get the hell outa here"....that was probably the best idea :?
However I may watch all the other ones, just to make sure they kill the buggers 8)
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby + 1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:45 pm

minxy wrote:I just watched Aliens...for the first time in goodness knows how many years 8O
One of the characters said early on in the film..."Just neuk the planet and get the hell outa here"....that was probably the best idea :?
However I may watch all the other ones, just to make sure they kill the buggers 8)

God that would me a marathon of films, Make sure you have the munchies in and don't get too scared! :wink:
+ 1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby penguinmonkey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:54 pm

also avoid the steaming pile of shite that is Alien Resurrection. Much as I like most of Jean Pierre Jeunet's work he really wasn't the right choice to direct an Aliens film. Possibly the least scary alien it was possible to create.
It's always funny 'til someone gets hurt and then it's just hilarious
penguinmonkey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions