HG Movie Critique.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG Movie Critique.

Postby dimairt » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:24 pm

RDR, you ask "is it a patch on that?" Not sure really, it's a film of the first book whereas the tv version covered all three books in the Quair.
It's getting mixed reviews and my son didn't care for it all; he saw it first, I babysat, but it didn't put me off. Hope you'll go too and let us know what you think.
I've watched the first part on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it. Helibron is terrific as Chris, just as I remembered but there's a great cast of Scottish actors to spot too.

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS - Contains scenes of a sexual nature
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:46 pm

dimairt wrote:RDR, you ask "is it a patch on that?" Not sure really, it's a film of the first book whereas the tv version covered all three books in the Quair.
It's getting mixed reviews and my son didn't care for it all; he saw it first, I babysat, but it didn't put me off. Hope you'll go too and let us know what you think.
I've watched the first part on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it. Helibron is terrific as Chris, just as I remembered but there's a great cast of Scottish actors to spot too.

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS - Contains scenes of a sexual nature

The TV version did, but only the 71 version of Sunset Song is available on You Tube.
For some reason, the next two books were only made for TV in 81 and 82, so a ten year gap, don't know why.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:41 am

Last film I saw at the cinema was "Kingsman: The Golden Circle". Which was very good, liked it a lot.

On the TV, I managed maybe ten minutes of the Cohen Brothers remake of "The Ladykillers" before turning it off, lest I feel the urge to put my foot through the screen.
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Saw "Blade Runner 2049" at the GSC IMAX yesterday afternoon.

If I'm brutally honest, it could've been doing with around 20 minutes cut from it, and it would've been the better for it.

2 hours and 43 minutes is far too long for a movie. I shudder to think how long Denis Villeneuve's director's cut will be...
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 pm

Talking of lengthy films 'Gandhi' which I thought was a good film lasted something like 3 hours 11.
I think I read somewhere that 'Gone with the Wind' was nearly four hours (3hr 58) I believe.

I know what you mean though I think anything over two hours is a long time.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:58 pm

I can't stay in a cinema to watch a movie that's longer than 90 minutes from start to finish. When I used to smoke, I always found it difficult to go that length of time but now I find it difficult to stay in the cinema without my bladder screaming at me. Much prefer to wait until it comes to Sky or Netflix, at least that way I can pause, rewind, pause, stop and return later to watch the end.

I went with the kids a few months ago to the Grosvenor to see the Emoji movie - it was a hard task to sit through it, even on their 'posh' sofas....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon May 11, 2020 11:12 am

Last night I watched the film 'Blinded by the Light' which was on Amazon Prime.
Not a bad film about a British Pakistani boy living in Luton and he starts listening to music of 'The Boss'.

It is based on a true story where the boy became a massive fan of Bruce Springsteen.

I don't want to give away the story in case others want to watch it but I enjoyed it and the soundtrack is good with music from the 1980s.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:52 pm

War Pigs (2015), 6/10.

Disgraced US Army Captain Jack Wosick (Luke Goss) is given the opportunity for redemption when asked to lead a rag-tag unit of misfits known as the War Pigs on a secret mission to go behind enemy lines to gather intelligence on a Nazi developed Super Weapon the V-3, a massive artillery cannon which would give the Nazis an insurmountable advantage against the Allies. With the help of Captain Hans Picault (Dolph Lundgren), a German Anti-Nazi serving with the French Foreign Legion and Colonel A.J. Redding (Mickey Rourke), a battle hardened WW1 veteran, Jack must train, lead and earn the respect of his new squad to become a functioning reconnaissance unit.

A low budget WWII "men on a mission" movie from the director of the "Saints and Soldiers" trilogy.
A decent enough way to spend an hour and a half, but nothing special.

100% Wolf (2020), 6/10.

Freddy Lupin possesses the magical Moonstone, and is heir to the leadership of a family line of werewolves. However, his first transformation doesn't go so well when he turns into a dog (poodle, to be exact) instead. Because dogs are looked down on by werewolves, Freddy has to prove he has the heart of a wolf or risk being banished.

A CG animated kids movie from Australia (based on the children's book of the same name by Jane Lyons) that takes a dash of "Lady and the Tramp", a bit of every werewolf movie you've ever seen, and a huge slice of "Wallace and Gromit: A Close Shave" and mixes them all up.

I can't fault the animation, but I'm taking marks off because some of the plot twists were A - Blindingly obvious to anyone with half a brain, and B - Telegraphed way too early.

Entertaining enough fare for the youngsters and the young at heart.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:01 am

The 355 (2022), 10/10.

Espionage action movie starring Jessica Chastain, Penélope Cruz, Fan Bingbing, Diane Kruger, and Lupita Nyong'o as a group of international spies who must work together to stop a terrorist organization from starting World War III.

Loved it to bits. :)

Tom Cruise take note, this is how you make a Mission: Impossible movie.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:07 pm

One Life (2023), an easy 10/10.

Based on the true story of British humanitarian Nicholas Winton as he looks back on his past efforts to help groups of Jewish children in German-occupied Czechoslovakia to hide and flee in 1938–39, just before the beginning of World War II.

Strongly recommend you see this. I was greetin' by the end of it.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:53 pm

Wonka - utterly charming and a great tribute to our late Great Gene Wilder
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:50 pm

Just back from seeing Dune part 2 at the IMAX in Silverburn, and I have to say it is just magnificent. Easily the best film I've seen in the last year or two. More deserving of Oscars than Oppenheimer IMO. Great cinematography and an outstanding soundtrack from Herr Zimmer. I really want to go and see it again as soon as possible.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:57 pm

I've not been to the pictures in ages, not since I saw "The Beekeeper" back in January.
Which was a total hoot BTW. Yer man Jason Statham kicking arse left right and centre.

Haven't even watched any films on TV recently, I'm just too tired after work to concentrate on anything longer than half an hour.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:01 am

This week I braved Lisa Frankenstein which I did enjoy
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions