A letter from the council...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

A letter from the council...

Postby br-cmr » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:31 pm

Today we received a letter from the council. Not a valentine's card, but an important update regarding our refuse collection.

Until now, my bins have always been uplifted on a Thursday. However, the letter tells me that this is changing. From next week onwards, my bin will now be uplifted on.... a Thursday.

I wonder how much it cost to tell everyhousehold of this change....
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: A letter from the council...

Postby Doorstop » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Ah .. you see, you're missing a subtle but important point.

Before your refuse was collected on a Thursday, every Thursday. Now they're just collecting on a Thursday .. it's up to you to get your calendar out and run a sweepstake as to which one it's going to be. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:32 pm

They might be about to start doing what they do out here in banjo country. Every second week you get your residual bin collected, then on the weeks where they do not collect the residual they collect either the paper/cardboard bin or the garden waste bin.

So residual bin every two weeks, paper/card every four, garden every four and for me a trip to the recycle centre to dispose of my glass, cans and plastic. Not sure if you are encouraged to compost in Glasgow but we do a bit of that too.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Wee Minx » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:12 pm

I hear recycling is now polluting the atmosphere ::):
Kin ah get a shot ae yer bike!
Wee Minx
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Wee Minx wrote:I hear recycling is now polluting the atmosphere ::):

Yes, but it is still less than the natural pollution that occurs from land fill (ie the methane)
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rotten milk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:36 am

i thought they could tap that off though?
or is it a case of 'could' but 'choose not to'? you'd think it could be a nice wee earner or somebody? :?

fife council have fortnightly collections - grey (general crap) and brown (garden waste) one week, blue (paper/cardboard) the next.

there have been murmurings of moving to monthly collections for general crap all in the push to get everybody recycling - can't see it myself, given most of the bins in my scheme are usually overflowing as it is :roll:

also uplifts of bulky/large amounts/appliances etc. used to be free, now it's £10 a pop or lug it to the coup yerself - presumably there's been an increase in fly-tipping as well?
hey, d'ye think it's ootside yir in?
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:07 am

Our council changes everything next month.

Blue bin (recycling) fortnightly
Green Bin (general waste) fortnightly
New small black bin (all food waste) weekly

I will be ok as my green bin is only ever half full, and as it will no longer have food waste in it, I don't mind it only being collected fortnightly, but the majority of my neighbours who don't bother with recycling have a full one every week, sometimes extra bags, and will probably struggle with their rubbish.

Best of it is their are 5 in our house, the majority of my neighbours are 2 to a house! Lazyness rules in our street, most people just cannot be bothered sorting their rubbish out.

I wish we had a bin for garden waste like Fife does, although I have no room for anymore bins!
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions