Satellite Navigation

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Satellite Navigation

Postby Fossil » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:43 pm

I'd like one. I wont use it often. I wont one that actually takes you to the place you type in. :D
I'w used a Tom Tom, Ive seen those "cheeper" ones on ebuyer, are the just as good? or should you go for a brand name?

any help folks would be great

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re: Satellite Navigation

Postby red_kola » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Do they make Prescription Sat Nav?
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:32 pm

It's all old military technology so no matter what the guy in the polyester suit tells you, you'll always get from point A to point B without too many hitches. If you have a decent mobile phone you can get software for it to save you buying yet another piece of equipment to strap to your dashboard.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:44 pm

Don't know if this is any good to you or not but found this after a bit of searching.

http://www.allaboutyou.com/index.php/Go ... rder=price

Pick category entitled Homes.
There is a page with Good Housekeeping Institute test reports and they test various things like microwaves, camcorders and found there were sat nav tests done too.
After that it is under Out and About heading.

Maybe as Dave says the mobile phone option might be the way to go.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:07 pm

i got a navigon for about £70 in halfords, does the job fine. a lot of the tom toms seem to have unnecessary extras, bluetooth calling, picture uploads etc and i really dont think they are worth the extra cash. you can get map upgrades for the SD cards on most torrent sites too.....
i just got my phone upgraded to one with built in gps,you can see where you are, and where you want to go but to get voice navigation you have to pay extra. good thing is with nokia you can buy it for a weekend, week, or longer depending on what your needs are
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:52 pm

What is wrong with a quick look at a map before you leave and reading sign posts as you go.

Anybody puts one of those talking things in my car it will be flying out the window at high speed!

My daughter has a Tom Tom one XL sitting in a box never used, she won it in a raffle and doesn't drive. It is going on ebay when I get round to it, if you want to make an offer I will pass it on
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:05 pm

I bought a Garmin about 18 months ago and I love it. In my line of work I often drive to client locations and the Garmin has been a godsend for getting me from point A to point B with no hassle at all. I have also used it in Europe .... walking about Dusseldorf looking for the restaurant area .... as well as getting to client sites there. Other useful features include "points of interest". Need petrol ..... the Garmin is pre-loaded with thousands of petrol stations and will take you to one near where you are. Same for shops, banks, restaurants, hotels, etc.etc.

Is it better than a Tom Tom or other brand? I have no idea. But no regrets either.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big jim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Its_a_gamp wrote:What is wrong with a quick look at a map before you leave and reading sign posts as you go

well said that man :D shat nav dumbs drivers down i worked with a boy who used shatnav all the time and after 2 years of delivering in and around glasgow he didnt have a scooby were anywere was :roll: its a expensive toy for summit that will get yer windae panned and yer glove box riffled by some smack heed cos people leave the wee cradle still attached :roll: but a glasgow street atlas for £11 might need a update now and again but hey who takes a while till it costs as much as a shatnav thingymaboaby, i will say there good when your going to somewere totaly new like another country :wink:
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:37 pm

big jim wrote:well said that man :D

FTR, I think it might be 'well said that lass'
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stefan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:48 pm

I was in France on holiday during the summer and got lost on a number of occassions. I really should have took one with me but i have a compass in my head and felt pretty clever about being able to pull it off. Problems arose when travelling back to our farm in the night and the obvious happened when one is travelling long distances and having to wade through 20 or 40 killometres of country lanes. The french lady came out of her farm and asked us what had happened when she seen me with my head on the steering wheel exasperated from the heavy burden of excessive worry and driving too long. i lifted my head up and politely said, I could fuc'king trash this place!
stefan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doorstop » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:45 pm

Great bargain from PIXMANIA.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big jim » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:57 pm

dave3009 wrote:

:oops: cheers for the heeds up ::):
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:31 pm

big jim wrote:
dave3009 wrote:

:oops: cheers for the heeds up ::):

Worry not, I just laughed when I read it.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:57 am

Well thank our blessings for the generousity of Google

http://www.google.co.uk/mobile/default/maps/index.html#

As always shit hot tools for fuck all cash, got to love those guys.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:00 pm

The cheapest option for satellite navigation is to drive into a scheme and check what way their dishes are facing and that's you got south sussed.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions