Lockerbie Remembered

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:00 pm

hazy wrote:So the deed has been done. I felt that MacAskill was acting like a school teacher teling a story in his monolgue as he spoke before he took questions. Right then Onny in your legal expertease and opinion break it down for us minnions. 8O

Probably best we leave MacAskill to his moment of infamy.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm

I can't believe some people are getting off on some imaginary moral high ground. A guy convicted of killing 270 people is released and some wankers are walking around congratulating themselves on their moral brilliance.

I can't wait until Robert Black starts taking a few dizzy turns and the campaign starts to let him out so he can put his feet up for his final days. That moral high ground will start to get very slippery.

Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:07 pm

tedmaul wrote:I can't believe some people are getting off on some imaginary moral high ground. A guy convicted of killing 270 people is released and some wankers are walking around congratulating themselves on their moral brilliance.

I think that's because everyone in the know, knows that he didn't do it. Conscience re-balanced.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:18 pm

There is also the possibility of reoffending to consider. It is unlikely that Mr Al MaBawbag will ever get clearance to place bombs on a plane ever again, yet Robert Black (if released) would likely go hunting youngsters to abuse given he is a sexual deviant and has portrayed such throughout his life.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:20 pm

cheesemonster wrote:I think that's because everyone in the know, knows that he didn't do it. Conscience re-balanced.

I doubt anyone on this forum is that powerful or that much 'in the know'.

In any case, he has not been released because his verdict has been overturned on appeal. The verdict still stands.
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Dave wrote:There is also the possibility of reoffending to consider. It is unlikely that Mr Al MaBawbag will ever get clearance to place bombs on a plane ever again, yet Robert Black (if released) would likely go hunting youngsters to abuse given he is a sexual deviant and has portrayed such throughout his life.

Having been convicted of killing 270 people then I'd suggest that considering the possibility of prisoner re-offending should be the least of our worries. It should, quite simply, have never been considered and his application rejected without a glance.

Someone like Robert Black could be incapacitated, impotent or so ill that the possibility of him raping and murdering little girls is close to nil. But who makes that judgement? And should they?
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Let's hope the americans have arranged for him to fall out half way home.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:52 pm

tedmaul wrote:Someone like Robert Black could be incapacitated, impotent or so ill that the possibility of him raping and murdering little girls is close to nil. But who makes that judgement? And should they?

Whilst Robert Black has the ability to breath he has the capacity to carry out his evil-doing. Robert Black was never presented as a patsy and never denied his involvement in his gruesome and abhorent crimes. If Abdelbaset Al Megrahi carried this out as a terrorist he cannot have acted alone, he must have been guided. If he carried it out as a military agent then he would have been acting on the decisions made by superiors. If he acted alone then his reason is yet to be known. Robert Black is a dangerous serial child rapist/murderer which is different on all levels
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:00 pm

There is no 'ifs' here. The Scottish criminal system found Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi guilty of the Pan-Am Flight 103 terrorist attack. That is a fact. A politician has decided that the offence was not serious enough to warrant keeping Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi in prison in Scotland until he died. He has been released on the compassion of Mr Kenny MacAskill.

That is the outrage.

Any talk about who did what and when on December 21, 1988 is simply farting in the wind.

Do not be distracted from the issue. A politician has decided that killing 270 people is not sufficient to keep you in prison if you're terminally ill.

Remember this.
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Lone Groover wrote:Let's hope the americans have arranged for him to fall out half way home.

I confess I couldn't help but wonder, as Megrahi's bags were carried up the steps to his plane, if someone would bother to check what was inside before take-off.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Lone Groover wrote:Let's hope the americans have arranged for him to fall out half way home.

Amen!

We could be doing him a favour. He could depart a saved martyr.
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:08 pm

tedmaul wrote: .........................

Do not be distracted from the issue. A politician has decided that killing 270 people is not sufficient to keep you in prison if you're terminally ill.

Remember this.

MacAskill is responsible for criminal justice in Scotland. His decision is criminal but it isn't justice.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby draugelis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:14 pm

onyirtodd wrote:

Remember this.

MacAskill is responsible for criminal justice in Scotland. His decision is criminal but it isn't justice.

Onny, you're so predictable!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:17 pm

draugelis wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

Remember this.

Onny, you're so predictable!

I make it a point never to fail to satisfy the low expectations of my public.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:33 pm

The more I read and listen to about this case it would seem that the full truth will never be allowed to escape. Its clear as mud.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions