Lockerbie Remembered

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby well skelpt coupon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:36 pm

Howdy,

I'm surprised it took so long to let him go, Mr. MacCaskill seems to want the prisons emptied as a matter of policy.

But listening to him spouting crap about Megrahi "facing a higher power" makes me wonder if our justice system is the new religion. Who needs God when politicians can dispense forgiveness?

Regards
Last edited by well skelpt coupon on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Never mind all that, did you see that shell suit? 8O Let that be a lesson to the bugger.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:50 pm

I worked in the justice system for years
You would be shocked who has been released for whatever reason be it compassion or parole board.
The parole board decisions seem to be based on whether he was nice to his mum and did not cause bother in the prison.. oh and if they said sorry. :x

compared to this I think being terminally ill is a better reason for release.

having said that however I cant help feeling that if the sentence he recieved had been terminal you would have no thread.

To those who say they know he is not guilty HOW do you know? (hearsay and supposition) :roll:
eeeeeewwwww whats that!
Can I touch it?
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby well skelpt coupon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:53 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Never mind all that, did you see that shell suit?

You can take the boy out of Greenock...

arf arf
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:57 pm

well skelpt coupon wrote:Howdy,

I'm surprised it took so long to let him go, Mr. MacCaskill seems to want the prisons emptied as a matter of policy.

But listening to him spouting crap about Megrahi "facing a higher power" makes me wonder if our justice system is the new religion. Who needs God when politicians can dispense forgiveness?

Regards

He's just following his boss's lead

"Alex Salmond has revealed how his Christian faith is a driving force in his professional life, influencing his political decisions."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 727842.ece
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:57 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Never mind all that, did you see that shell suit? 8O Let that be a lesson to the bugger.

Is that him a fashion icon in the back waters now. :wink:
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 pm

I think Kenny MacAskill has done a good job here. It appears to me that he is saying that Megrahi is a murdering prick but we as a nation place compassion and justice above revenge.

Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:34 pm

Bing Buzby wrote:I think Kenny MacAskill has done a good job here. It appears to me that he is saying that Megrahi is a murdering prick but we as a nation place compassion and justice above revenge.

Do we really? I've always thought that the nation's overwhelming enthusiasm for revenge is the reason why we'll never be offered a referendum on capital punishment.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:57 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Bing Buzby wrote:I think Kenny MacAskill has done a good job here. It appears to me that he is saying that Megrahi is a murdering prick but we as a nation place compassion and justice above revenge.

Do we really? I've always thought that the nation's overwhelming enthusiasm for revenge is the reason why we'll never be offered a referendum on capital punishment.

The lad has a point.

I remember reading that one of the major reasons for Margaret Thatcher's election was that she promised a free vote on capital punishment, which a goodly portion of the electorate took to mean a referendum on the issue. Mind you, I also have a vague notion that it might have been Julie Burchill who wrote it. Anyway.

I would have thought that the fact that there are Government members still prepared to take a non-populist position on this (or anything, frankly) is a positive thing, though.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Why would you want a referendum on capital punishment .NON starter
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:06 pm

You reckon? My gut feeling is that Onny is right - the majority of folk in the UK would vote for it.

[Edit]

Gallup Review Compares Support for Capital Punishment Among Countries - An examination of recent Gallup surveys in the United States, Great Britain, and Canada found that Americans are more supportive of the death penalty than are either Britons or Canadians. An October 2005 poll of Americans measured support for the death penalty at 64%, a figure that was significantly higher than the 44% support measured in Canada and the 49% support found in Great Britain during December 2005 polls. Support for the death penalty recently declined in both Great Britain and Canada, but remained the same in the U.S. as in 2003. (Nevertheless, American support for the death penalty is equal to its lowest level in 27 years.) In all three nations, support for capital punishment was lowest among those who were 18-29 years old. (Gallup Poll press release, "Death Penalty Gets Less Support From Britons, Canadians Than Americans," February 20, 2006).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Josef wrote:You reckon? My gut feeling is that Onny is right - the majority of folk in the UK would vote for it.

[Edit]

My gut feeling is that I'm right too. It might depend on exactly when the vote was taken. Immediately after a child murder or an act of terrorism would swing the vote a bit.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:22 pm

I know people who would vote for it regardless.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:25 pm

cheesemonster wrote:I know people who would vote for it regardless.

Likewise, though personally would not be in favour of capital punishment
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Feckin hell what a blood thirsty lot you are. 8O
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext